Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 14th May 2017, 10:13 AM

Default Re: G'day, I am one of the old fartz

Quote:
142857 said View Post
My natural assumption when I see fortune tellers and psychics used to be that that they were deliberate phonies.

I went to a fortune teller once, nearly 30 years ago.
Me too! I also went to see one on my friends' insistence that she was the real deal. She wasn't. It's called cold reading and easy to do. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading
Old 14th May 2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Me too! I also went to see one on my friends' insistence that she was the real deal. She wasn't. It's called cold reading and easy to do. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading
Thanks, that's really interesting.

The psychic I went to wasn't very slick, asked too many questions. Mixed that in with a little bit of cold reading. And people were still falling for her baloney.

I suspect that even psychics who believe that they are the real deal are relying on subconscious cold reading more than anything else.
Like SEG liked this post
Old 14th May 2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
142857 said View Post
Thanks, that's really interesting.

The psychic I went to wasn't very slick, asked too many questions. Mixed that in with a little bit of cold reading. And people were still falling for her baloney.

I suspect that even psychics who believe that they are the real deal are relying on subconscious cold reading more than anything else.
NP. Yes, it's amazing to me how some normally lucid and down to Earth people still get caught up in all sorts of baloney. My episode started when I was in the fire brigade and my crew got talking about how wonderful some mediums were with their psychic "abilities".

My boss at the time said he was a skeptic before seeing her and was blown away by her telling him things that she couldn't possibly know from his past.

He said that to test her, he remained tight-lipped, but she still revealed information that she couldn't possibly have known about him. The other guys told similar stories about what they and their families experienced with these psychics (aka psychos).

This intrigued me at the time and I ended up being referred to yet another "amazing" medium from my very intelligent web designer mate that also told me that she was remarkably accurate. He said how can I rubbish them if I have had no personal experience? I thought that the entertainment value would be worth the $50 that she charged.

So I later paid this one a visit. I didn't talk back to her much, preferring to see what she could come up with. Among other drivel she told me that she could tell that I had some family issues, (I said no to that one, which confused her) my car had recently had mechanical problems (yes, but who doesn't?) and someone very important in my family had the initial S. My son's name is Steven, so whoopy do, she got a major hit.

She also got a string of misses which I can't remember now, but I secretly recorded. That's how this BS works, ask multiple questions in rapid fire and you are bound to get some hits which the suckers remember and they always seem to forget the flops.

I almost didn't pay her as I felt ripped off, but did anyway because I felt sorry for her. I still got some entertainment, so it was of value as a life experience.
Old 14th May 2017, 02:22 PM

WOOOOOOOoooooooooooo an image is coming to me

Yes, I see it now, you have a scar on your knee.

Everyone has a scar on their knee, you can't grow up without falling over and scraping your knee.
God was a giant Queensland Blue Pumpkin. He was lonely and got bored so he blew himself up (aka the big bang) The pumpkin skin fragments became planets, the orange flesh vaporised into gasses and the seed fragments started life when conditions were right.

Last edited by Madame Tarot; 14th May 2017 at 02:23 PM.
Like SEG liked this post
Old 14th May 2017, 05:22 PM
AFA Member

The worst one I know had a rather unique approach. He claims to be a kinesiology master. As such, patients fill in a disclosure form, which requires women to tell the number of children they have.
He would then tell them they had one or two more.
If the women admit to miscarriages then bam, he's psychic, and kinesiology is awesome.
If not, he's very caring and sympathetic as he breaks the news that they have had the miscarriage, they just didn't know, and bam, he's psychic and kinesiology is awesome.
I might just add that his main client base is middle aged women, and as such, many will have had a miscarriage. Early term miscarriage happens a lot. It's very very common. I've had two.
He is a royal prick.
Still making the big bucks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk