Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 25th January 2017, 01:43 PM
AFA Member

Default Professor applies for a job, gets asked what a PhD is!

I don't know if anyone else has seen this;

Quote:
AN OUT-OF-WORK scientist has slammed a “moronic” education bureaucracy after he was knocked back from a job at TAFE because he didn’t have a “high-school level” teaching certificate.
So he applies for a job and gets told he needs a Cert IV in Training and Assessment, despite having 30 years experience teaching in Australia, China and Singapore. The certificate costs $2500 and takes six months to complete;

Quote:
Nevertheless, he said he “quickly raced off to the nearest online provider, paid them $500 and started looking at the course”.

“I gave them all of my credentials, asking them for some exemptions and prior recognition of learning, and that’s when I discovered how bad it was,” he said.

“When they looked at my qualifications, the first thing they said to me was, ‘What’s a PhD?’ I’m not beating up on the lady, she was very lovely, but I explained to her what my qualification meant, and she said, ‘But that’s not a teaching qualification.’

“I said, ‘But it is for every university in the world.’”
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/...15e98693e636a9
Old 25th January 2017, 03:50 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Professor applies for a job, gets asked what a PhD is!

yeh, dey iz dumb, effrebodie knowz it stands for post hole digger.
Old 25th January 2017, 04:09 PM
AFA Member

That cert IV qualification is a government scam. It's an utterly meaningless qualification that is required only by government funded tafe institutions (although that seems to be expanding). It can be completed in 3 weeks and can cost as little as $70 (various online schools have random offers at these types of prices), or you can pay $2-3k and take half a year. You get the same bit of paper either way which pretty demonstrates it worth. Anyone, with prior teaching experience will learn...nothing, zilch, naught. This is the blatant and cynical commodification of education.
Old 25th January 2017, 06:37 PM
Merry Mythmass!

TAFE don't expect applications from university teachers, They are overqualified! When I last studied in 2016 in TAFE there were talks of teachers being replaced by 'trainers'. It's cheaper apparently. Quality of education will go down if this happens.
Like joele liked this post
Old 25th January 2017, 06:48 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
TAFE don't expect applications from university teachers, They are overqualified! When I last studied in 2016 in TAFE there were talks of teachers being replaced by 'trainers'. It's cheaper apparently. Quality of education will go down if this happens.
...yes, so what was the phd for then anyway. Unless you can get a Uni gig, and they are few and far between, or a public service spot in some vaguely related department, the phd grants you the sublimely absurd status of 'over qualified.' I find that quite tragic.
Like joele, knowledge is power liked this post
Old 26th January 2017, 09:23 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
That cert IV qualification is a government scam. It's an utterly meaningless qualification that is required only by government funded tafe institutions (although that seems to be expanding). It can be completed in 3 weeks and can cost as little as $70 (various online schools have random offers at these types of prices), or you can pay $2-3k and take half a year. You get the same bit of paper either way which pretty demonstrates it worth. Anyone, with prior teaching experience will learn...nothing, zilch, naught. This is the blatant and cynical commodification of education.
HEY! I got one o dem so take some care.
You know fore I wen scull I couldn't not spel computa programmerr but now I are one!

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Laugh at pipbarber laughed at this post