Environment and Conservation Issues facing the natural world

Old 27th October 2017, 04:55 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Default Re: Adani's Coal Extraction Nightmare

and the plot thickens

Australian ministers write to China to confirm approval of Carmichael mine

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...armichael-mine

Quote:
Senior Turnbull government ministers have written a formal letter to China’s government to confirm that the controversial Adani Carmichael coal project in Queensland has passed all necessary environmental approvals.

Frances Adamson, the secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, told senators on Thursday that Adani may have requested the letter to help it secure funding from the Chinese
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:42 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Interesting move:

Palaszczuk says she will veto federal Adani loan as she accuses LNP of 'smear'

Quote:
The Queensland government will veto Adani’s application for a $1bn commonwealth loan to build a rail line for its massive Carmichael mine, Annastacia Palaszczuk has said.

The move will be a heavy blow to the Indian mining giant’s attempt to win finance in China for the controversial coalmine, but puts the state Labor government on the right side of opinion polls on the issue.
Perhaps a more immediate question is whether she'll get re-elected, get out of caretaker mode, with enough of a mandate to implement this commitment.
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:02 PM
AFA Member

Coal Tar soap is lovely and clean, so i don't see the problem?????
Old 4th November 2017, 09:26 AM
AFA Member

A good move but what is this?

Quote:
Queensland Premier denies conflict of interest after vetoing $1bn Adani mine loan

QUEENSLAND Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has denied a conflict of interest as she sensationally vetoed the mine’s loan application after it emerged her partner worked on it.
QUEENSLAND Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk is denying any conflict of interest over a federal infrastructure loan assessment to Adani after it emerged her partner worked on the mining giant’s application for the cash.

In an election bombshell, Ms Palaszczuk on Friday pledged to veto the $1 billion federal loan for the controversial Carmichael coal mine, saying her government would play no future role in its assessment.

At a snap press conference, Ms Palaszczuk revealed her husband Shaun Drabsch, in his capacity as infrastructure advisory director for PwC, worked on Adani’s application for the loan under the Commonwealth’s Northern Australia Infrastructure Fund.
I don't really understand this given she has vetoed the loan application. If her husband worked on the application the conflict of interest accusation may be justifiable if she passed the loan but not if she vetoes it, right?

Anyway, the article concludes
Quote:
To veto the loan, Ms Palaszczuk will need LNP leader Tim Nicholls’ endorsement, as the government is currently in caretaker mode, but her election opponent gave no indication he would lend a hand.
“The premier should honour her word and pass through the Adani loan if the independent NAIF makes such a decision,” Mr Nicholls said in a statement. “If, as the premier claims, all necessary conflict of interest measures are correct and above board, why has she put thousands of jobs at risk with this extraordinary backflip?http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...9cccf1d96ba670
A lot seems to be hinging on this election. William Hill has Labor at $1.85 and LNP at $1.92. It really doesnt get much closer than that.
Old 4th November 2017, 02:39 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
A good move but what is this?

I don't really understand this given she has vetoed the loan application. If her husband worked on the application the conflict of interest accusation may be justifiable if she passed the loan but not if she vetoes it, right?

Anyway, the article concludes
A lot seems to be hinging on this election. William Hill has Labor at $1.85 and LNP at $1.92. It really doesnt get much closer than that.

Hmm, my understanding was that she only vetoed the loan after it was revealed that her partner worked on it, while it is now not a conflict of interest because she has vetoed it, it was a conflict of interest until she vetoed it. You don't get to claim innocence after the act. if she knew her partner was working on it, she would have known that it constituted a conflict of interest at the time.

It's likely, from the news report I read, that she vetoed because of the possible impact on the election;

Quote:
However, Ms Palaszczuk accused LNP senators in Canberra of a “smear campaign” and “circulating rumours” about Mr Drabsch, adding she had written to the state’s integrity commissioner for advice on the “rumours and innuendo”. She said her chief-of-staff advised her of the rumours on Tuesday night and labelled the LNP senators’ moves as “a new low in Australian politics”.

“I am told they planned to use this during the election campaign to impugn my character and suggest something untoward,” the premier told reporters. Ms Palaszczuk insisted there had been nothing untoward and she had not known about her partner’s involvement as part of PwC’s work to secure a loan from the NAIF for the Galilee Basin mine.
http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...9cccf1d96ba670

It's difficult to see how she could not have known about her partners involvement in one of the biggest projects in the state involving billions of dollars. That may indeed be the case, I'm certainly not calling her a liar, the problem for her is, even if it was true she knew nothing about his involvement, she can't prove she knew nothing about his involvement.

Either way it might have, and still may, prove a body blow for the election. I think the chances for minimising impact have long gone.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:14 PM
There will be bacon

Won't somebody park a bus in front of the implosion?