AFA Forum News All the latest AFA Forum news and announcements

Old 6th March 2017, 09:29 AM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

Default AFA gets a mention

Like workmx, Logic please liked this post
Old 6th March 2017, 11:03 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: AFA gets a mention

I struggled at first to maintain interest due to the slow introductory process, but once underway I found it interesting.
I would not dispute your claim that the planet could potentially sustain a much higher population if the fiscal policies were of a more egalitarian nature, but would say that even if it is possible would it be desirable?
Old 6th March 2017, 12:07 PM

That's another question, and I suspect that, given thought, I'd suggest not, and that we need to look at ways to limit growth. That said, the disparity in distribution of wealth is at least in part responsible for the continued rise in world population, as those in poverty follow the usual evolutionary paths of more offspring as a backup plan.

Like wadaye liked this post
Thank THWOTH, Strato thanked this post
Old 6th March 2017, 01:38 PM

Indeed.
Old 6th March 2017, 07:03 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
hackenslash said View Post
..., the disparity in distribution of wealth is at least in part responsible for the continued rise in world population, as those in poverty follow the usual evolutionary paths of more offspring as a backup plan.
This should be framed for publication and distribution. Unfortunately i think it would as likely result in a nazi solution before the society at large as prsently led would consider actual redistribution
Old 6th March 2017, 10:40 PM

Yep. A combination of personal greed and the age-old trope of 'this is the way we've always done it', which is actually the worst reason for continuing any strategy.

These are the things I despair of, when I despair.

Old 8th March 2017, 07:45 AM

I really enjoyed listening to this because it makes a change to hear voices as opposed to just reading text which is what I usually do online
Also two people having a conversation rather than an argument. Excellent sound quality too. Even if you were louder than him. You should
definitely do this again. I learned about presuppositionalism too about which I previously knew precisely nothing. So good effort all around
Old 8th March 2017, 11:25 AM

Cheers. Look out for more on the horizon, and also summat wiv me an' GobshiteMcHOrseface soon. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'll be forwarding some tips on editing, so that he can choose his pace a bit better.

And yes, I have a loud voice, cultivated over many years. I'll be giving him some tips on audio processing as well now we've done it once.

Have you seen my blog post about presuppositionalism? I think it's rather good.

The Executioner's Argument

I'd also keep a close eye out for what I hope will be happening very soon, namely that Vazscep is toying with a post about not just presuppositionalism, but with actually undermining the classical laws of thought. He's been in touch today and, although it's something we've discussed before, it looks like he has a plan of attack, so I'd expect this in the coming weeks. Vaz really knows his stuff.

Old 8th March 2017, 02:44 PM

I am going to reread the blog until I can commit as much of it to memory as possible. Because that is ultimately where I want it to be : inside my head

I find what you say about Craig rather interesting. And so I wonder if his refusal to debate anyone without a PhD is due to ego. Because to lose to a non
academic could be very psychologically damaging to someone like him with a double doctorate. Whereas to lose to a fellow philosopher would be less so

I also agree with what Peter said about the nature of debate. Formal ones may superficially appear to be an excellent means of an audience learning about a specific
subject from two knowledgeable but different perspectives. But they are just as much about performance as about actual argument. The danger here is that rhetoric
and style of delivery might impress more than actual substance. Both sides would be presenting their best arguments so confirmation bias would be difficult to avoid

So I think open ended conversation a better format because it is not about point scoring or playing to the gallery. Also with complex subject matter there will be shades
of grey and so the binary positions of black and white would not apply. Sometimes there is no definitive answer so the temptation to fill the gap with just anything at all
should be avoided. Something the other side finds hard to do