Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Old 28th February 2017, 07:34 AM

Default Re: How to kill things

Not knowing exactly how old you are, in my olden days of high school 25 years ago, rats were frozen, packaged and delivered by whatever state school service provides such things, and nary a frog was pithed.

I didn't partake in dissections because I loved (and still do) rats. No problem watching them, just didn't want to be responsible for one of them having been snuffed out so bored teenagers could forget what they were taught.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 28th February 2017, 12:43 PM

My kids consider the invention of smartphones to be the point at which the olden days ended.

I finished high school in 1982.
Like Spearthrower liked this post
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:26 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
Quote:
DanDare said View Post
It is hard work getting the bulk of humanity to care much about other life forms. If they were not talking about te kittehs but a snail this may not have received much attention.

I do think there is a serious case to be made for a gradient of moral treatment of other animals based on their shared evolutionary heritage. Apes, for example, could easily be considered close to equal with humans in terms of the rights and protections granted to them by human society, while mosquitoes granted not much protection at all - only in terms of their importance to the local food chain.

As such, I think it's quite justifiable to be vastly more concerned with the welfare of individual mammals over the welfare of individual invertebrates.
Ok, replace snail with rat or weasel. i wasn't talking about the actual merits in the case but the populist attitude.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 2nd March 2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Ok, replace snail with rat or weasel. i wasn't talking about the actual merits in the case but the populist attitude.

There's a vast subject here from an anthropological/psychological perspective because different human groups have different sets of animals that fit into categories of profane and sacred.

I'm sure there's a large dollop of environmental history and culture interacting, but the predilection of human groups to do this is fascinating.
Like 142857, DanDare liked this post