Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 24th December 2017, 11:57 PM
Fucked Off, Working On A Story

Default Re: So how's this for a rough platform?

Mate, you look at your failings, acknowledge them and weigh them up against the perceived challenge.

In merely doing that, you have probably surpassed the capability of some of the entitled, egotistical, self-serving dick-wrinkles who are already lined up for parly pensions and lucrative seats on boards.

You ponder on that, while I take this old bod and its couple of glasses of nasty red off to bed.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine— Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Old 25th December 2017, 12:19 AM
What Me Deluded?

A good bit of Oppositional Defiant Disorder is a very healthy thing in my book.
Old 25th December 2017, 12:26 AM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Mate, you look at your failings, acknowledge them and weigh them up against the perceived challenge.

In merely doing that, you have probably surpassed the capability of some of the entitled, egotistical, self-serving dick-wrinkles who are already lined up for parly pensions and lucrative seats on boards.

You ponder on that, while I take this old bod and its couple of glasses of nasty red off to bed.
Thank you, I will.

@Goldenmane3

Old 25th December 2017, 09:59 AM
AFA Member

IMHO, politics is the art of the possible. Bismark was right there. So we have to accept that not all that is wished for will be achieved. It also means compromise, and of course, a little corruption.

But is it better to achieve something, at the cost of a little corruption, rather than achieve nothing at all? Then we get into slippery slopes of course, the "ends justifying the means?" Machiavellian as this may be, it is how the world works. We may not like that, but it is true.

Of course, "dubious means" have often been used for evil, but more challengingly, by people who intend good but end up doing evil [eg stolen generation].

The political environment seems so hostile to facts and reason, now perhaps more than ever before because of the 3-second sound-bite, the tweet, and information overload that is the internet.

It makes me think that proper debate in the public square is almost extinct. It is all very well to be all ethical and say: "I will not buy into that, I will just remain ground cover in the shadows while the tall forest grabs all the light". Such species, while they may survive, will not dominate. A radical without followers is just a guy taking a walk.

In the light of such intense competition, like a young tree in the forrest, you are compelled to compete, until you reach the canopy, and can be truly heard.
Old 13th January 2018, 04:38 PM
AFA Member

Related to law reform. Should we take incarceration for any non-violent crime off the table? Replace the option with meaningful public service, rehabilitative programs and fines linked to assets and income?

Not sure we need to send non-violent law breakers to places where they need to be violent to survive - seems a tad counterproductive.

What about this for a political slogan, ‘Let’s get rational with crime.’
Old 13th January 2018, 09:49 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Related to law reform. Should we take incarceration for any non-violent crime off the table? Replace the option with meaningful public service, rehabilitative programs and fines linked to assets and income?

Not sure we need to send non-violent law breakers to places where they need to be violent to survive - seems a tad counterproductive.

Frankly, I don't think we should be incarcerating anyone in an environment that fosters violence. If they weren't already violent offenders, they will be when they come out, and if they were, then it's just further inculcation into that violence.

Any incarceration regimen needs to be formulated around evidence-based measures aimed at rehabilitation rather than "punishment". I honestly cannot formulate a real-world notion of justice that involves punishment, which seems to me to be entirely the remit of the suprerstitious.

@Goldenmane3

Like Strato liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 13th January 2018, 10:38 PM
AFA Member

Yes, I agree GM but there is the public protection element that can’t be ignored. A violent offender needs removal from public space, though obviously not to be dumped into a bullpen to survive but rather into a secure rehabilitive and educational environment. For heinous crimes, violent child sex abuse, rape, murder etc, it has to be lengthy incarceration with rehabilitive programs in place and the only ‘punishment’ decernable being boredom.

But we’d need a completely new approach to prisons. We’d probably need to dismantle all the ones we’ve got and put a lot of thought into design, architecture and most importantly, staffing. Though, yeah, I think in a more enlightened society we’d still have some need for incarceration.
Old 13th January 2018, 11:37 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post

Frankly, I don't think we should be incarcerating anyone in an environment that fosters violence. If they weren't already violent offenders, they will be when they come out, and if they were, then it's just further inculcation into that violence.

Any incarceration regimen needs to be formulated around evidence-based measures aimed at rehabilitation rather than "punishment". I honestly cannot formulate a real-world notion of justice that involves punishment, which seems to me to be entirely the remit of the suprerstitious.
The NSW Police Force motto is 'Culpam Poena Premit Comes' - punishment follows closely upon crime.

The Victoria Police motto is 'Uphold the Right', which leaves jurisprudence and judicial philosophy open to a more enlightened libertarian persuasion on the matters of crime and punishment.
Old 13th January 2018, 11:40 PM
Fucked Off, Working On A Story

Wiki - In 1990, the Queensland Police Force was officially renamed the Queensland Police Service and the old motto of "Firmness with Courtesy" was changed to "With Honour We Serve".

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine— Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016