Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 23rd May 2017, 05:57 PM
AFA Member

Default Manchester, today.

Another religious attack, or so it seems from the mo.

God at its best.

Human's at theirs...

Quote:
...people living near the Manchester Arena, where the explosion occurred just before 10:35 p.m. local time, have been using the hashtag #roomformanchester on social media to offer survivors a place to stay overnight.
I live 5 mins from the Manchester Arena. I have sofa bed, food/drink and phone chargers if anyone needs any help #roomformanchester
- Nick Q (@QHNick) May 23, 2017
—Others nearby have also been offering rides to those struggling to get home. Taxi drivers also reportedly gave free lifts to concert-goers affected by the tragedy.
If anyone needs a lift to or from Manchester let me know if we can help .10 mins from city centre. #roomformanchester
- Gary (@Gazalfc123) May 22, 2017
A branch of the Holiday Inn hotel located near to the venue has taken in around 60 children separated from their parents and others in need of shelter.
If you can't get hold of your children, Holiday Inn hotel have 50+children. Phone Holiday Inn Manchester UK 0161 836 9600 #Manchester
- Brooke Levi Vincent (@BrookeLVincent) May 22, 2017
http://time.com/4789770/ariana-grand...formanchester/
Like hackenslash liked this post
Thank hackenslash thanked this post
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:15 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Default Re: Manchester, today.

Whether goddist or a political blow, acts of this kind only show that some ideologies are utterly shite.

Here's good luck to Frederick's ventures,
Lower your dacks, remove your dentures!
- Pirates of Penzance, the Rude Version.

Like hackenslash, workmx, Soup Dragon liked this post
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:32 PM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

I'm still quite worried. No names have been released of the dead or injured, and I know quite a few people who might have been there. I know one person who was there, and he's OK, but most of the people I know who might have been there are likely in school today.

Here's what I said on FB.

Like pipbarber, Blue Lightning, DanDare liked this post
Thank Goldenmane, Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:43 PM
AFA Member

My 12 year old daughter loves the performer, if we'd been in Manchester we might have gone to that concert together (or more likely she'd have made me wait in the carpark while she went with her friends). I hope your people are ok Hack. I'm so heartened by the Manchurian response. Stay firm.
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:54 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I made a point of visiting Manchester years ago because of the music scene there. I knew about legends like the Buzzcocks and the Pistols at the Free Trade Hall, all the way to 808 State at the Hacienda. The only band playing when I was there was Durutti Column... wonderful! It's a different generation with Ariana Grande, but actually it's even worse, she has such a young audience, a lot of teenage girls.

Well all terrorism is awful, but this attack feels a bit more personal. Feeling love for Manchester.
Like pipbarber, hackenslash liked this post
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:14 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Hack, I hope your friends and their families are safe. I hope for a minimisation of harm to your wonderful People's Republic.

Solidarity, my comrade.
Like hackenslash liked this post
Old 24th May 2017, 07:54 AM

As a parent, my sympathies go out to every parent and family member of a daughter or son who went to the concert. But...

Little girls just got slaughtered, had their arms and legs blown off. Teenagers running out with bits of other people clinging to their hair, skin and clothes and you declare your resolve to stand together and do nothing knowing this will happen again and again.

Those football teams as members of the Manchester community ARE victims.I find their failure to acknowledge reality reprehensible.

Again, my sympathies to every parent and loved one who knew someone who went to the concert to have a good time and see their favourite performer.

Quote:
hackenslash said View Post
I'm still quite worried. No names have been released of the dead or injured, and I know quite a few people who might have been there. I know one person who was there, and he's OK, but most of the people I know who might have been there are likely in school today.

Here's what I said on FB.

Old 24th May 2017, 08:18 AM

That isn't the message I take from it - to me it sounds more like "we are not going to give in to you and give you what you want".

Sadly too often we do give them what they want, these attacks have been very successful in getting the reaction they want in the form of Patriot Acts, support for the far right, invasions and the mistreatment of people who simply share a religion, skin colour or other characteristic with the evildoer or doers.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:31 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Whether goddist or a political blow, acts of this kind only show that some ideologies are utterly shite.
A conflict of unfalsifiable/untestable claims results in violence and intolerance.

A conflict of falsifiable/testable claims results in science and progress.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:40 AM

I used to work two days a week in Manchester before I moved out this way. And I spent a lot of weekends there enjoying the city (which to my mind is the funkiest city in the north). Best wishes to all in that area. What a shitty world we seem to live in at the moment.

The IRA didn't dampen the spirits though and neither will this.