Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 15th July 2017, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Do the gospel accounts of Jesus paint a Prophet of Cult Leader?

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Hi Tys
Life is too short to watch all the youtube stuff that gets uploaded so i generally give it a miss.
Jesus as dude really isn't that important to Christianity. If he came back now, as Dostoyevsky noted, he would be crucified again.
I do not doubt this to be true if he came back and messed with peoples money like he did in the Jewish temples those same Christians that claim to love him would kill him and 2000 years later people will be wearing an electric chair around their neck. (Electric chair joke source:Lenny Bruce - "“If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.”)
Old 15th July 2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
I would have loved to see some analysis like the film-maker promised.

I would have loved to see some consistency.

I would have loved to un-see those awful kiddie fridge drawing graphics.

Minus lots of stars out of zero. My time was wasted, like that of the guy who made the film.
I would have loved to see some analysis like the film-maker promised. - Watch the film its all there + its sited.
Old 15th July 2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Hi tys.

If you are genuinely interested in the origins of what is today's Bible, there are scholarly and critical books on every aspect of the subject as is only to be expected.

Their authors may not be correct on every point according to other scholars in the polemics normal to scholarship but the main point stands that even if there were some Jesus character with followers, there was no Christ. Claims to the supernatural are spurious, unsubstantiated.

I read Raphael Lataster, There Was No Jesus, There Is No God. An examination of claimed authenticity of documents using a Bayesian critical methodology. It is an educative read.

A member here observed 'Christianity is a cult that got lucky.' Right on. Studying history is always profitable.

Some titles,

https://www.bookdepository.com/searc...arch=Find+book
"Their authors may not be correct on every point according to other scholars in the polemics normal to scholarship but the main point stands that even if there were some Jesus character with followers, there was no Christ. Claims to the supernatural are spurious, unsubstantiated."

Yeah there is no evidence for a historical Christ and there is no evidence for god Abrahamic or otherwise. I think this entire forum and anyone with the basic understanding of science would agree.

Thanks for recommending "There Was No Jesus, There Is No God." I will have to check it out.

I can see Christianity being a cult that got lucky I am sure this is likely to be true and would explain how it kind of popped up historically out of no where.
Old 15th July 2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Are you trying for a documentary, as you have said, or standup comedy?

Your "analysis" is so far very superficial.
It is an analytical documentary on a the character from a fringe Jewish cult mythology called Jesus. Literature can be interpreted in many way, I show how I interpreted it and sited the reasons for my interpretation. It is only a comedic because of how ridiculous this specific mythology is.
Old 15th July 2017, 05:43 AM
It's good to know when it's time

Quote:
trustyoursources said View Post
Quote:
Are you trying for a documentary, as you have said, or standup comedy?

Your "analysis" is so far very superficial.
It is an analytical documentary on a the character from a fringe Jewish cult mythology called Jesus. Literature can be interpreted in many way, I show how I interpreted it and sited the reasons for my interpretation. It is only a comedic because of how ridiculous this specific mythology is.
It's still superficial, like taking the phrase "but have everlasting life" and going "Hurr hurr! He said BUTT!"

There is such a thing as context, even if you're not going to bother with text and culture.

I'm not saying you have to go off and study the rubbish at university level, but you could do a little better than you have done, even with a grade school education, by applying yourself.

It comes off like Beavis and Butthead shouting at the television.

Hagelslag ready and counting down.

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 15th July 2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
It's still superficial, like taking the phrase "but have everlasting life" and going "Hurr hurr! He said BUTT!"

There is such a thing as context, even if you're not going to bother with text and culture.

I'm not saying you have to go off and study the rubbish at university level, but you could do a little better than you have done, even with a grade school education, by applying yourself.

I understand that it could have been more academic but I definitely need these to be entertaining, I want people to want to watch them for the enjoyment above everything else. However I did try to do my do diligence and apply a fair criticism of the mythical character. When I make the next one about Mohammed I will try to be more thorough in my research.
Old 15th July 2017, 06:22 AM
It's good to know when it's time

Quote:
Quote:

I understand that it could have been more academic but I definitely need these to be entertaining, I want people to want to watch them for the enjoyment above everything else. However I did try to do my do diligence and apply a fair criticism of the mythical character. When I make the next one about Mohammed I will try to be more thorough in my research.
It is possible to be factual and entertaining, TYS.

My main concern is that a weak argument in the name of atheism provides a foothold for zealous believers to point at, and claim all unbelief is poorly thought out.

I was unfortunate enough to spend some time studying serious theology. (I got better.) There's loads of comic material in those tales, right down to the one where Jeebus makes a poop joke in Matthew 23.

The biggest shame about your video is that I think every aspect of it could have been done better, if you'd taken time and a bit more care with it.

Hagelslag ready and counting down.

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 15th July 2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
It is possible to be factual and entertaining, TYS.

My main concern is that a weak argument in the name of atheism provides a foothold for zealous believers to point at, and claim all unbelief is poorly thought out.

I was unfortunate enough to spend some time studying serious theology. (I got better.) There's loads of comic material in those tales, right down to the one where Jeebus makes a poop joke in Matthew 23.

The biggest shame about your video is that I think every aspect of it could have been done better, if you'd taken time and a bit more care with it.
A fair criticism sir I will have to try harder in the future.
Old 15th July 2017, 07:42 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Quote:

Any character in history can be subjcted to this kind of analysis where the details have been added later on to a bare bones real or fictional character.

Its not like we don't know that the Hadith is all 9th or 10th century polemics and argument embodied in the character of Muhammed.

What is there to gain by a new Muhammad cartoon by somebody who has not earned the scholarly credentials to make a serious comment?

What relevance does it have to insert it into todays arguments where there is so much killing going on in the name of Islam or against Islam or against Muslims or against Shias or against Sunnis or against Copts or against Bahais or Kurds or Yazidis or so on.
I mean we could show the incorrectness of Yazidi beliefs in a scientific context but it is impolite and effectively fascist as some fundamentalists do to claim that they have been allowed to suffer by God because of their beliefs beibg blasphemous according to Christian doctrine.

Seriously what you are talking about is worse than useless, the kind of stuff that gets used by the Identitarians and other neo fascists and you get to try to be a martyr for the cause with a second grade video. No thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Any character in history can be subjcted to this kind of analysis where the details have been added later on to a bare bones real or fictional character.

Its not like we don't know that the Hadith is all 9th or 10th century polemics and argument embodied in the character of Muhammed.

What is there to gain by a new Muhammad cartoon by somebody who has not earned the scholarly credentials to make a serious comment?

What relevance does it have to insert it into todays arguments where there is so much killing going on in the name of Islam or against Islam or against Muslims or against Shias or against Sunnis or against Copts or against Bahais or Kurds or Yazidis or so on.
I mean we could show the incorrectness of Yazidi beliefs in a scientific context but it is impolite and effectively fascist as some fundamentalists do to claim that they have been allowed to suffer by God because of their beliefs beibg blasphemous according to Christian doctrine.

Seriously what you are talking about is worse than useless, the kind of stuff that gets used by the Identitarians and other neo fascists and you get to try to be a martyr for the cause with a second grade video. No thanks
Look I am not a accredited scholar I am a film maker and I did do research and I site my research and I made an honest depiction as to how I understand Jesus there is nothing wrong with me making an animation on a mythological character. I understand I may not have been right on many things but that's why I sited things and made it easy for anyone to point out how and why. This all will lead to discussion and itll further our understanding of the subject.

Why would it be wrong if I made a literary character analysis of the Muhammad in the Koran? The answer is it would not be wrong in any way, shape, or form. I am entitled to make art and have an opinion and no one will ever take that away from me. If people commit violence because of things like that I beg you take issue with them.

Seriously think about what you are saying for one second if people commit violence over a cartoon are you really blaming the guy with the pen or the guy with the gun? (Your logic is equivalent to asking a woman to dress less provocatively or else she is just asking for it.)

Last edited by trustyoursources; 15th July 2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: grammar errors