Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Old 13th July 2017, 11:35 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Too stupid to have bought a house? Get a high paying job then

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
To ibtain a faur distribution of wealth we need to first stop looking at the exonomy and wealth for taxation purposes solely through the derivative figure of yearly change, as it currently is. This looks like stupid shortsightedness but really it is the clever disguise built by the ruling class to entrench privelege.
I think the main problem is corporate wealth, rather than personal wealth. Because the larger international corporations can exploit differences in the taxation systems [especially tax-free havens] to avoid taxes. The burden then falls on the smaller corporations and individuals. personal wealth problems can be solved by probate tax, but not individual or corporation should be exempt from taxation unless true charity is involved. And only exemption from the proportion of activity that is truly charitable.

Long term, the vast majority of corporations, businesses individuals and governments are highly disadvantaged by the few megacorporations at the top of the heap. Our economic and financial systems have evolved to be uncontrollable, toxic and vastly inequitable.

What is needed is nuance and logic rather than ideological bleatings from the left or right. Because no one is supplying this, demand for the Trumps and the Britexits grows. Nothing can be fixed by the tweet.
Old 14th July 2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Which is a problem. House prices set to average wages is a recipe for concentration of wealth since the median wage is much lower than the mean wage (average wage).
House prices are set to what the market will bear. Which, when the prices that the market will bear are out of reach for a majority of people who need a roof over their heads, is a recipe for concentration of wealth just as you have stated.

My family gets by on one slightly (very slightly) above average income, with no rent or mortgage to worry about. I reckon if my wife and I were about 15 years younger and if we both earned a similar income to mine and if we took out a humongous mortgage..... then, with a few major sacrifices, we could just about afford a reasonable house in one of the cheaper parts of Sydney.

In reality we are in the process of pricing an increasing percentage of couples out of the housing market altogether.
Old 14th July 2017, 08:04 PM
Enough words.

Forgot to mention I'm saving for a house on my own. Singles have it twice as tough to be able to afford a home of their own. It's like we are being penalised by the housing market for not having a partner.
Perhaps in the future I will have someone to help pay off my house but I can't bet on that.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Like Lord Blackadder liked this post
Old 14th July 2017, 08:33 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
Forgot to mention I'm saving for a house on my own. Singles have it twice as tough to be able to afford a home of their own. It's like we are being penalised by the housing market for not having a partner.
Perhaps in the future I will have someone to help pay off my house but I can't bet on that.
Practically speaking people are grouping together to purchase houses, or units, as the legalities of land division into a strictly limited number of lots far less than the number of people requires it.
Old 15th July 2017, 10:49 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Practically speaking people are grouping together to purchase houses, or units, as the legalities of land division into a strictly limited number of lots far less than the number of people requires it.
Yeah, I saw a Gardening Australia where several couples got together, bought some land, and built a group of townhouses on them. They all seemed pretty "tight" as a group...known each other since about 1757, all thought 'green" etc....

I know some Catholic/ Italian families that did the same.
Old 15th July 2017, 11:21 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Yeah, I saw a Gardening Australia where several couples got together, bought some land, and built a group of townhouses on them. They all seemed pretty "tight" as a group...known each other since about 1757, all thought 'green" etc....

I know some Catholic/ Italian families that did the same.
So long as the contract between the parties is strong and registered in the land titles office then it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 15th July 2017, 12:16 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
So long as the contract between the parties is strong and registered in the land titles office then it shouldn't be a problem.
One or more people [eg more than two] can own land jointly, and can even have specific percentage ownership eg:

person A has 45%

person b has 30%

person c has 25%

or whatever.

Same-same for the buildings. Driveways, common walls, and the like- have to be owned by all equally.
Old 15th July 2017, 01:14 PM
Enough words.

The small house movement is becoming popular. Land sizes should be offered much smaller, even split into two so two small houses can be built instead of one. Kind of like small units but each with a small yard. Should cost a lot less.
People really don't need so much house space to live a decent lifestyle.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 15th July 2017, 02:15 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
The small house movement is becoming popular. Land sizes should be offered much smaller, even split into two so two small houses can be built instead of one. Kind of like small units but each with a small yard. Should cost a lot less.
People really don't need so much house space to live a decent lifestyle.
This is called "in-filling" in WA. Generally, people don't bother with a 500 sq m block, but something over 800, or 1000 is often sub-dividable, depending on block shape etc. Blocks 1200 or over a particularly in demand, because you can put a number of townhouses on them.
Old 15th July 2017, 06:21 PM
AFA Member

Does anyone know about the status of Multiple Occupancy titles (MOs)? I think it's likely to be state based - and council based.

I spent a good bit of my 20s living on MOs in Nimbin and far eastern Victoria and back in the 90s there was a push by local councils to not make it easy for new MOs to start up. I have no idea what the situation is like now. Rural and semi-rural communes (MOs) might be something for the near future. They sure as fucking hell come with their problems but what doesnt?

Anyone want to start a secular commune in the mountains east of Melbourne?
Like wadaye liked this post