Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Old 11th July 2017, 01:52 PM
AFA Member

Default Too stupid to have bought a house? Get a high paying job then

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...re_a_21717985/

The Australian government hasn't learned any lessons about Hockey and is still on the same tack.

Sounds like they are still reading from a cross between 'abundance theory' and 'manifest destiny'.
Old 11th July 2017, 06:07 PM
A female Doctor..Who me?

Default Re: Too stupid to have bought a house? Get a high paying job then

My advice, save for an old RV to live in in your twenties so you can save for a deposit. You may be lucky enough to have paid off your house by your mid thirties. I did this twenty years too late but now, with no rent to pay, am slowly building a deposit.
No, I am NOT buying in Sydney, ARE YOU KIDDING!!??

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Like Strato liked this post
Old 11th July 2017, 07:10 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
My advice, save for an old RV to live in in your twenties so you can save for a deposit. You may be lucky enough to have paid off your house by your mid thirties. I did this twenty years too late but now, with no rent to pay, am slowly building a deposit.
No, I am NOT buying in Sydney, ARE YOU KIDDING!!??
Sydney and Melbourne should be "special economic zones" and give people tax breaks [means tested], and a housing grant more realistic for the market they are in. Of course, if we had governments worthy of the name, they would reserve land for the working poor, and sell it to them at peppercorn rates.
i guess as jobs become more de-centralised that might ease demand for housing in cities where all the jobs are, but of course, you need decades of constant policy, not to mention sane policies that does not advantage the rich and penalise the poor.

Of course with all the jobs being destroyed by robots and globalisation [yes I know, some are created] we won't have to worry about owning land or house and just be serfs like many generations before us.

We own our own home, and the bank owns our investment property, so I should not say we. But we sacrificed a fair bit. No going to concerts, eating at home, having several jobs etc, etc. And fate decreed we could have no kids and that was a massive saving.

You could try buying in the country and ramping it up later. With some hard research and a crystal ball you might get a country place cheap that subsequently increases in value due to decentralisation or whatever. The longer you have property, the better off you will be. We got a house in Nedlands for $65K and sold it 20 years later for $550K. It was a shithole, but location, location, location.

Later we bought a townhouse in Maylands for $223K and sold it for $650K 17 years later. Of course we have lost money on housing as well. But on the whole, we are ahead.

Get a slum somewhere [flat or house] and renovate it. Get the best landlord insurance you can find, the best tenant, and the best property manager. Equity grows [usually], and you can use that equity to buy another place.

Of course, it is still investment, which is a form of gambling, where research and hard work make the odds work in your favour.
Old 12th July 2017, 04:37 PM
A female Doctor..Who me?

I plan to find work in the Newcastle region, and buy a house in Cessnock. I can get a decent price at around $230k for a two bedder brick home.
People should be moving to the country towns for better prices, the problem is finding work though.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Like Darwinsbulldog liked this post
Old 12th July 2017, 07:58 PM

The reality is that more people make below-average wages than make above average wages.

And to buy in Sydney or Melbourne one needs, realistically, a couple of above-average incomes.

It's a complex issue and governments are not prepared to risk any sort of deflation of the housing bubble or any decrease in the foreign money flowing into the housing market. So the unaffordability problem will continue.

As KIP says, the available jobs are in the big cities for a lot of us, but the affordable houses are in the towns.
Like Strato liked this post
Old 12th July 2017, 09:58 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post

Of course with all the jobs being destroyed by robots
All that office space now freed up as apartment housing. However with sea levels stupendously rising we need to now learn from the Venetians their inovative solution of gondolas and tourism (though functional office block architecture doesn't really lend itself to aesthetic sight-seeing. It's rather depressing really.)

But this eventuality affords a manifest solution to the contemporary housing crisis in the era of Homo Deus
Old 13th July 2017, 09:50 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
142857 said View Post
The reality is that more people make below-average wages than make above average wages.

And to buy in Sydney or Melbourne one needs, realistically, a couple of above-average incomes.

It's a complex issue and governments are not prepared to risk any sort of deflation of the housing bubble or any decrease in the foreign money flowing into the housing market. So the unaffordability problem will continue.

As KIP says, the available jobs are in the big cities for a lot of us, but the affordable houses are in the towns.
Which is a problem. House prices set to average wages is a recipe for concentration of wealth since the median wage is much lower than the mean wage (average wage).
Old 13th July 2017, 11:15 AM
Stick around with Dtella dubia

It isn't just buying that's difficult. Ask Sydney renters.

Quote:
A diverse group of 600 people from across Sydney last night cheered and made impassioned speeches, bonded by what they call a horror housing affordability situation that is threatening communities.

The Catholic Archbishop of Sydney mingled with other faith groups, single mums, business leaders, trade unionists and former homeless drug addicts.

Magnus Linder, executive officer of Churches Housing and the chair of the Sydney Alliance Housing Team, said people were deserting Sydney because of the cost of housing and rent.

He said some were foregoing expenses in areas most of us would take for granted.

"People are choosing not to go to the dentist because they have to choose to pay the rent and so they'll just let the tooth rot and fall out," he said.

"Some people are choosing not to eat because they need to pay the rent or make the decision, 'well I'll feed the kids and I'll go without'."

Single mum Nadine Carrick, a full-time student studying town planning, said she was paying 70 per cent of her income in rent.

"We all have a right to this city and to be part of the community and we demand action, for the Government to take action, because what else are they there for?"

Ms Carrick said the cost of living in Sydney outstripped her income by about $200 per week.
More at linky

Democracy is all about not electing the wrong man-eating lizard. - Douglas Adams

Old 13th July 2017, 11:29 AM
AFA Member

Well, the poor are lazy and diseased, so they deserve less food and less pay. They also get ill, which proves they are immoral. Lastly, how can they expect to get high paying jobs as models for toothpaste companies if they have rotting teeth? Morons!
Old 13th July 2017, 12:06 PM
AFA Member

To ibtain a faur distribution of wealth we need to first stop looking at the exonomy and wealth for taxation purposes solely through the derivative figure of yearly change, as it currently is. This looks like stupid shortsightedness but really it is the clever disguise built by the ruling class to entrench privelege.