Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 20th June 2017, 08:10 AM
It's good to know when it's time

Default Re: Deaths (Not Directly Atheism-Related)

US Student Imprisoned in North Korea Passes From Coma to Final Rest
Quote:
Otto Warmbier, the American student who was imprisoned in North Korea for more than 17 months and was returned home to Ohio last week, has died, his family said Monday. "It is our sad duty to report that our son, Otto Warmbier, has completed his journey home," his family said in part in a statement. "Surrounded by his loving family, Otto died today at 2:20 p.m."
More
Quote:
North Korean officials said Warmbier fell into a coma as a result of botulism and a sleeping pill, but US doctors express doubt that they were the cause. According to USA Today, "Much remains unknown about what happened to Warmbier in North Korea, but he reportedly has been in a coma for more than a year. Brain scans show severe damage."

Hagelslag ready and counting down.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 20th June 2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: more added
Old 27th June 2017, 08:57 AM

Author of Bran Nue Day, gone. (ABC Linky)

Quote:
The Indigenous playwright who penned acclaimed Australian play Bran Nue Dae, which was later turned into a major motion picture, has died.

The man, who is not named for cultural reasons, passed away in Broome hospital yesterday afternoon aged 69.

His sister, Maxine, told the ABC he suffered a turn.

He was awarded the Western Australian Premier's special book award for Bran Nue Dae in 1991, the same year Tim Winton took out the fiction award for Cloud Street.

The play was turned into a film which premiered in 2009, starring Jessica Mauboy and Rocky Mackenzie.

He was made a WA State Living Treasure in 2004, which recognised him as a creator of landmark Indigenous theatre and as an ambassador for the cultural diversity and energy of Broome.

His father was Chinese-Japanese and his mother a Scottish-Bardi woman from WA's north.

He played in the band Kuckles for more than 15 years, and also wrote the acclaimed play Corrugation Road.

He was awarded the Human Rights Award in the category of Literature and Other Writing for significantly contributing to the understanding of human rights issues in Australia in 1990, and won the Australia Council for the Arts' Red Ochre Award for the lifetime achievement of an Indigenous artist in 1997.

(I corrected the band name, Kuckles, in the above quote.)

Old 27th June 2017, 10:14 PM
Cuss-tard

Sad news.

@Goldenmane3

Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 28th June 2017, 09:53 AM
AFA Member

69 is not that old, IF you are white!
Old 29th June 2017, 02:47 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/28/b...gton-bear.html By ANITA GATES JUNE 28, 2017 Michael Bond, the genial British author who created Paddington Bear, the polite, good-natured but disaster-prone little hero of children’s novels, picture and activity books, television series, and films, died at his home in London on Tuesday. He was 91.

The death was announced by his publisher, Harper Collins, which said that Mr. Bond had died after a short illness. It did not specify a cause. Mr. Bond lived in the Maida Vale section of London, not far from Paddington Station, where his fictional creation’s story began. “Mr. and Mrs. Brown first met Paddington on a railway platform” were the first words of “A Bear Called Paddington,” published in Britain in 1958.

The small brown bear is spotted at that station, seated on an old leather suitcase and wearing a tag that reads: “Please look after this bear. Thank you.” He has emigrated from “darkest Peru,” the Browns learn, because his aunt has gone into a home for retired bears in Lima.

The Browns take him home to 32 Windsor Gardens and give him a new life that includes their children, Judy and Jonathan; their housekeeper, Mrs. Bird; a grouchy neighbor, Mr. Curry; and a Hungarian-born antiques dealer, Mr. Gruber.

Paddington came to be known for his distinctive ensemble of blue duffel coat with toggle fastenings, floppy felt hat and red Wellington boots. The books have sold more than 35 million copies worldwide and have been translated into at least 40 languages... ...

He did not limit his work to Paddington or to print, but animals did dominate his work. In 1968 he created “The Herbs,” an animated British television series with characters including Dill the Dog, Sage the Owl and the popular Parsley the Lion, who was rewarded with his own spinoff series.

Mr. Bond also wrote books about Olga da Polga, a guinea pig, and a mouse called Thursday, and for adult readers about Monsieur Pamplemousse, a culinary detective with a dog named Pommes Frites.

But he was always best known for Paddington, whose fame grew wildly in the 1970s after the first stuffed animal version was produced and the first television series became a hit, on the BBC in Britain and later on various networks including PBS, Nickelodeon and HBO in the United States.

Other series and television movies followed...

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 29th June 2017 at 02:48 AM.
Thank Voltairine thanked this post
Old 29th June 2017, 11:01 AM

Na Na, Hey Hey... goodbye, and thanks, Gary DeCarlo

Quote:
The singer behind the seminal hit "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" has died at 75.
Gary DeCarlo, who co-wrote and provided vocals for the lasting song with his band Steam, passed away after a battle with lung cancer, a friend of the singer told TMZ.

His wife was by his side while he died in a Connecticut hospital. DeCarlo had reportedly been in hospice care leading up to his death after the disease spread throughout his body.

DeCarlo and his bandmates songwriter Dale Frashuer, guitarist David Chester and producer Paul Leka only kept Steam active for two years, but their smash hit single has stood the test of time.

"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" rose to the top of the charts in 1969 shortly after its release and has remained a staple at sporting events, with the home fans often taunting the opposing team by singing its chorus "na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!"

Old 29th June 2017, 11:18 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I seem to recall they were session guys, and were a bit embarrassed by it. But not by the money, I'll bet

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Old 29th June 2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Quote:
stylofone said View Post
I seem to recall they were session guys, and were a bit embarrassed by it. But not by the money, I'll bet
Yes, they had to quickly assemble a real band for shows when the single peaked.

Embarrassment? I'll give you embarrassment!

Laugh at stylofone laughed at this post
Old 8th July 2017, 09:15 AM

Ms Sheila Michaels: Feminist who popularised 'Ms', dies aged 78

Quote:
Sheila Michaels, an American feminist who brought the honorific "Ms" into mainstream use, has died aged 78.

Ms Michaels did not invent the term, but is credited with rescuing it from obscurity after she saw it used in an address, thinking it was a typo.

"Ms" did not convey a woman's marital status, unlike the traditional options "Mrs" or "Miss".

"I had never seen it before: It was kind of arcane knowledge," she said.

Speaking to the New York Times in an interview last year for her own obituary, she said the honorific resonated with her, both as a feminist and as the child of unmarried parents.

"[I] was looking for a title for a woman who did not 'belong' to a man. There was no place for me," she told The Guardian newspaper in 2007.

"I didn't belong to my father and I didn't want to belong to a husband - someone who could tell me what to do."

Born in St Louis, Missouri, Ms Michaels spent some of her childhood in New York City. She was a lifelong feminist activist, biblical scholar, and collected oral histories of the civil rights movement later in life.

In her professional life, she worked as a ghostwriter, editor, and even ran a Japanese restaurant - but her obituary in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch notes her favourite job was being a New York City taxi driver.

The term Ms dates back to at least 1901, but its obscurity meant that Ms Michaels first thought it was a typo, intended to be Mrs, on a housemate's delivery of a Marxist magazine in the early 1960s.

Years later, she brought it up casually, during a lull in conversation on broadcast radio - where it was heard by others, and began to attract attention.

That broadcast would lead the first editors of Ms Magazine to adopt the honorific as its title in 1972 "after prompting from Sheila Michaels, who had been pushing the women's movement to adopt its usage," the magazine wrote last month.

"'Ms' is how you address a woman as a whole person. In a culture where women were identified on the basis of their marital status... [it was a] way to define ourselves as individuals, not subordinates or partners."

And while the new honorific was in the public sphere and a subject of debate, it was not adopted by the New York Times until 1984 - seen as a landmark for its usage by a traditional stylistic conservative.

Now, the newspaper has published an extensive obituary based on interviews with Ms Michaels herself.

"Ms Michaels leaves a legacy both minute and momentous: two consonants and a small dot - three characters that forever changed English discourse," the Times wrote.

Advice from the BBC's style editors is simple: "Try to find out what the person herself uses, and stick to that."

Old 12th July 2017, 09:31 PM

Ray Phiri, 70, guitarist on Paul Simon's Graceland album

Quote:
South African jazz legend Ray Phiri has died at the age of 70 after a two-month battle with lung cancer.

The guitarist, producer and vocalist rose to fame when he featured on Paul Simon's Graceland album in 1986.

He was admitted to hospital two weeks ago and died in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Family spokesperson Paul Nkanyane says he was surrounded by friends and relatives at the clinic, in the north-eastern city of Nelspruit.

Mr Phiri's condition became public this week when a friend and fellow musician started a crowdfunding initiative to help pay for his medical bills.

In an interview with The Sowetan newspaper earlier this month, Phiri said: "Let me suffer [in peace with my] pain, on my own with my dignity."

Tributes have been pouring in for Phiri on Twitter, with people using the hashtag #RIPRayPhiri:

Before reaching international fame with Graceland, Phiri was already an established musician in South Africa and lead singer of 1970s band Stimela.

The group's afro-fusion sounds combined jazz with mbaqanga - a Zulu musical style with rural roots.