Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 11th June 2017, 09:00 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Deaths (Not Directly Atheism-Related)

Ave Adam West.

When watching later batman movies it always occurs to me that Batman movies are supposed to be kids movies, not an exposition of a dark and tortured soul seeking revenge for the death of his parents, get it fucking right, it's supposed to be fun!

I haven't see a batman show I liked since the Adam West TV series.
Old 11th June 2017, 10:08 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Ave Adam West.

When watching later batman movies it always occurs to me that Batman movies are supposed to be kids movies, not an exposition of a dark and tortured soul seeking revenge for the death of his parents, get it fucking right, it's supposed to be fun!

I haven't see a batman show I liked since the Adam West TV series.
There's a fucking wealth of Batman stories, mate. And there's no such thing as 'what a Batman movie is supposed to be'. That's actually one of the beautiful things about comics as a medium. They provide the opportunity for an author to take an established character set and background and fuck with it, to explore different themes and ideas within those bounds.

Batman, when he started out, killed people and used guns on the regular. It's only later that he came to be the guy who doesn't use guns and doesn't kill people.

And the "comics are for kids" idea is and was bullshit, a product of the Comics Code in the US that was responsible for shit like the Silver Age, when comics were forced to adhere to infantalising restrictions on content.

The very fucking central motivating factor of the character is that he saw his parents murdered in front of him. That is not a G-rated motivation. Motherfucker dresses up like a bat and beats the shit out of criminals. Arguably, he's been a very adult-oriented subject for far more time than he ever was for kids.

That being said, I grew up with Adam West as Batman, and as a kid I enjoyed it immensely. I didn't read the comics because I didn't have access to them, but my weekly Batman hit was a joy. When we kids were playing superheroes in primary school, I didn't choose Batman because I didn't realise how fundamentally fucked up the character was. No, I chose Firestorm, a more obviously befuckered character, because that's the kind of kid I was. But I'd have been inclined to choose the Bat if I'd realised.

Batman is a very dark character. Adam West played him as a sort of satire, and it was glorious. He was my first Batman, but I think the contention that that is what Batman was always intended to be, and what it always should be, fundamentally sells the character and the artform he is of short.

@Goldenmane3

Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 12th June 2017, 08:02 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I love the silver age, not only because it's what I was exposed to as a child (born 1962). Yes, the moral panic that inspired the comics code was ridiculous. Those EC horror comics are great! But working within the restrictions of the code prompted a wave of creativity. Batman and Superman's flamboyant enemies, the different flavours of Kryptonite, the beautiful SF stories from Mystery in Space, e.g. Adam Strange. Even the super pets! A lot of it was done by Jerry Siegel, co-creator of Superman. Now when I go back and re-read comics of the era, the (slightly) increased realism that creeps in from the 70s just seems bland and unappealing to me. I was obsessed by the Phantom then, until 2000AD brought a renewed love of the medium. It had the satirical edge too, often razor-sharp.

The Dark Knight Returns was the big re-invention. It left me cold from the start. Frank Miller, sheesh, there's no hope, no joy, no redemption, it's got this American malaise about it. I was surprised to find he didn't endorse Trump.

Maybe the opposite experience to yours GM. But I strongly agree that there is glory in the medium of comics!!!

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
There's a fucking wealth of Batman stories, mate. And there's no such thing as 'what a Batman movie is supposed to be'. That's actually one of the beautiful things about comics as a medium. They provide the opportunity for an author to take an established character set and background and fuck with it, to explore different themes and ideas within those bounds.

Batman, when he started out, killed people and used guns on the regular. It's only later that he came to be the guy who doesn't use guns and doesn't kill people.

And the "comics are for kids" idea is and was bullshit, a product of the Comics Code in the US that was responsible for shit like the Silver Age, when comics were forced to adhere to infantalising restrictions on content.

The very fucking central motivating factor of the character is that he saw his parents murdered in front of him. That is not a G-rated motivation. Motherfucker dresses up like a bat and beats the shit out of criminals. Arguably, he's been a very adult-oriented subject for far more time than he ever was for kids.

That being said, I grew up with Adam West as Batman, and as a kid I enjoyed it immensely. I didn't read the comics because I didn't have access to them, but my weekly Batman hit was a joy. When we kids were playing superheroes in primary school, I didn't choose Batman because I didn't realise how fundamentally fucked up the character was. No, I chose Firestorm, a more obviously befuckered character, because that's the kind of kid I was. But I'd have been inclined to choose the Bat if I'd realised.

Batman is a very dark character. Adam West played him as a sort of satire, and it was glorious. He was my first Batman, but I think the contention that that is what Batman was always intended to be, and what it always should be, fundamentally sells the character and the artform he is of short.
Thank Goldenmane thanked this post
Old 12th June 2017, 08:32 AM
There will be bacon

I loved West's Batman because he took the piss out of dead serious superhero stuff in a kindly way.

He may have saved me from becoming one of those serious comix fans.

Won't somebody park a bus in front of the implosion?

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 12th June 2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Pic from B3ta.com
Old 12th June 2017, 12:56 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 12th June 2017, 01:00 PM
There will be bacon

Ah yes, the real entries Adam West arranged in the Sun Valley phone book.

He was truly a Joker of the best sort.
Quote:
wolty said View Post

Like wolty liked this post
Old 14th June 2017, 10:19 AM
There will be bacon

Anita Pallenberg, actress, one-time Rolling Stone partner.

Quote:
Singer Marianne Faithfull, Jagger's girlfriend in the late 1960s, remained a friend of Pallenberg's.

They appeared together in the fourth series (2001) of the BBC sitcom Absolutely Fabulous in episode four, "Donkey", with Faithfull playing God and Pallenberg The Devil.

Old 17th June 2017, 03:58 AM
There will be bacon

Helmut Kohl, the architect of German reunification, dead at 87

Quote:
Germany's longest serving post-war chancellor from 1982 to 1998, Mr Kohl was a driving force behind the introduction of the euro currency, convincing sceptical Germans to give up their cherished deutschemark.

An imposing figure who formed a close relationship with French President Francois Mitterrand in pushing for closer European integration, Mr Kohl had been frail and wheelchair-bound since suffering a bad fall in 2008.

At home, he is celebrated above all as the father of German reunification, which he achieved after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall despite resistance from partners such as British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev.

He won voters in communist East Germany by promising them "flourishing landscapes".

Shortly after leaving office, Mr Kohl's reputation was tarnished by a financing scandal in his centre-right CDU party. Mr Kohl mentored Ms Merkel early in her career, appointing her to her first ministerial post.
Wash Post obit - more detailed.

Old 17th June 2017, 05:13 AM

From our contempoary perspective we tend to forget what a visionary thing German reunification was, and the level of political and adminuatrave effort it took. Kohl may have had his faults, but his instincts and attitude re reunification were exactly what Germany, and Europe, needed at the time.
Old 17th June 2017, 03:16 PM
There will be bacon

Survive Doing Something Incredibly Dumb? Have Another Go!

Quote:
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (AP) " A man who survived a plunge over Niagara Falls without protection in 2003 has died after he went over again, this time inside an inflatable ball.

Police tell the Syracuse Post-Standard the body of 53-year-old Kirk R. Jones was found in the Niagara River by the U.S. Coast Guard on June 2.

Detective Sgt. Brian Nisbet of the New York State Park Police says it's the same man who became the first person to survive an unprotected plunge over the falls in October 2003.

Nisbet says investigators believe Jones attempted to go over the falls inside a 10-foot (3-meter) ball on April 19. The empty ball was recovered by the Maid of the Mist tour boat.

Three others have survived unprotected plunges over the falls since Jones did it.