Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 26th October 2015, 02:57 PM
Not a 'Westy'.
Super Moderator

Default Re: Nice beer that I'm having thread

Quote:
The Falcon said View Post
Um Wolty,

that brew looks like the (same colour) first poo my kids had in hospital after birth! Naw.....that's just all wrong. I must admit I'm a wee dram sort of guy (single malt or drambuie) so what I know about good beer you could write on the bottle cap. Matilda Bay, out of WA, used to do a nice boutique drop but it looked a lot better than your brew Wolty!
Heh, I like insanely bitter, insanely strong beers. They seem to have the most taste for me.

Quote:
Bitterness[edit]
See also: Hops § Brewing
Bitterness scales attempt to rate the perceived relative bitterness of beer. The bitterness of beer is provided by compounds such as isohumulones from hops used during brewing.

The International Bittering Units scale, or simply IBU scale, is measured through the use of a spectrophotometer and solvent extraction[7] a calculation is performed on this absorbance to give a result in IBU.[8] This technique was adopted at the same time as another method based on measuring the concentration (in milligrams per litre; parts per million w/v) of IAA isomerized α acids in a beer, causing some confusion among small-scale brewers.[9] The American Society of Brewing Chemists, in the introduction to its methods on measuring bitterness, points out some differences between the results of the two methods:

While the results of the IAA methods are practically identical to those obtained by the [I]BU method for beer brewed with fresh hops, the IAAs of beer brewed with old or poorly stored hops, and with certain special hop extracts, can be significantly lower than the [I]BU figure.[7]

The European Bitterness Units scale, often abbreviated as EBU, is a bitterness scale[10] in which lower values are generally "less bitter" and higher values "more bitter". The scale and method are defined by the European Brewery Convention, and the numerical value should be the same as of the International Bittering Units scale (IBU), defined in co-operation with the American Society of Brewing Chemists.[11] However, the exact process of determining EBU and IBU values differs slightly, which may in theory result with slightly smaller values for EBU than IBU.[12]

IBU isn't determined by the perceived bitterness of the taste of the beer. For example, the bittering effect of hops is less noticeable in beers with roasted malts or strong flavours, so a higher proportion of hops would be required in strong flavoured beers to achieve the same perceived bitterness in moderately flavoured beers. For example, an imperial stout may have an IBU of 50, but will taste less bitter than a pale lager with an IBU of 30, because the pale lager has a lower flavour intensity. After around 100 IBU, hop utilization is so poor that the number ceases to be meaningful in regard to taste, although continued hop additions will increase bitterness. Light lagers without much bitterness will generally have 8-20 IBU, while an India pale ale may have 60-100 IBU or more.[13]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_m...ent#Bitterness

The Holgate Temptress is 10% and quite strong tasting, though 'only' 50 IBU's.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like two dogs liked this post
Old 27th October 2015, 11:06 AM
It's getting hot in here .....
Administrator

Quote:
beer can improve your sex life in many ways. Stronger libido, harder erections, better stamina, a more robust stomach
There are times when peer review should be discouraged.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/11928...mply-downing-a

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/djarm67
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djarm67
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djarm67
Old 13th November 2015, 08:03 PM
It's getting hot in here .....
Administrator

Shit just got serious. Real fucking serious.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/djarm67
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djarm67
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djarm67

Last edited by wolty; 11th December 2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Fixed image size
Old 13th November 2015, 08:09 PM
Not a 'Westy'.
Super Moderator

Some awesome beers there. Wait till you try the Pirate Life. It's freakishly good.
The 3 Brewcult beers are very nice. Hop Zombie solid. You have done well my young padawan.

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
Old 13th November 2015, 08:12 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
djarm67 said View Post
Shit just got serious. Real fucking serious.
Bastard.

Barstard.

Bar Star.
Old 11th December 2015, 10:22 PM
Not a 'Westy'.
Super Moderator

What could go wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12345494_10207105268923489_8406311290458903192_n.jpg (64.8 KB, 41 views)

Old 14th December 2015, 06:21 PM
Not a 'Westy'.
Super Moderator

VOTE FOR THE HOTTEST 100 AUSSIE CRAFT BEERS

You could win a carton of each of the top 5 beers by voting.

Old 21st January 2016, 10:38 PM
Not a 'Westy'.
Super Moderator

So this is outstanding. My second Exit beer ever. The first I had was their 3.5% Pale, also amazing. I've been missing out, I can see that now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12507616_998169476921293_6971096753762115280_n.jpg (53.5 KB, 29 views)

Old 19th March 2016, 12:24 PM
Roll a d20 and.... shit!

This may have been posted before..

http://www.problemsolverbeer.com/

Quote:
A delicous way to reach your creative peak. The perfect state for solving problems.
The Problem Solver is a handcrafted Indian Pale Ale brewed to tickle taste buds and brain cells. It has a refined bitterness with a refreshing finish. The indicator on the bottle makes is easy to find your creative peak. Drink the amount that fits your weight to make sure you hit the magical 0,075%.
Caution: Enjoying the right amount will enhance your creative thinking. Drinking more will probably do exactly the opposite!

need me some of that. lol

Like wolty liked this post
Old 24th June 2016, 10:23 PM
Not a 'Westy'.
Super Moderator

@Two Dogs, I might have bought a beer for us to share next time you are up. $29.00 for 375 ml. Ouch. But 18.4% It's definitely a sharer.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by wolty; 24th June 2016 at 10:29 PM.