Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Mental health and Well-being

Mental health and Well-being For discussion of the Black Dog and associated topics (please note this will be moderated as needed for everyone's safety).

Old 13th June 2017, 06:37 PM
Flag upside-down is conventional protocol to indicate an emergency or problem

Default Xtian Group Only Wants People With THEIR Mental Affliction

Christian lobby FamilyVoice calls for exemption to discriminate against mentally ill

Quote:
A national Christian group is lobbying for the Disability Discrimination Act to be changed so that it can discriminate against people with mental illnesses, on the basis they could upset the "sacred" nature of church services.

FamilyVoice has called for a religious exemption to the Act, arguing it interferes with freedom of religion.

In a submission to a federal parliamentary inquiry on freedom of belief, FamilyVoice said a person with a mental illness had the potential to interfere with a church service.

"For very good reasons a religion may not wish to engage a person who has a mental illness and displays disturbed behaviour," the submission read.

"Such behaviour would adversely affect a church service, which is sacred in nature.

"A simple provision should be added for an exemption from the act for persons ... whose conscientious beliefs do not allow them to comply."
More at source.

For snits and the agony of pique, take Umbrage.

Old 14th June 2017, 11:24 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Xtian Group Only Wants People With THEIR Mental Affliction

Can we have a special exemption to kill bigoted, ignorant assholes?
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare laughed at this post
Old 14th June 2017, 05:42 PM
AFA Member

I'm sorry, but i actually burst into a state of giggles when i read this. So the folk that believe in an invisible man in the sky dont want to employ anyone with a mental illness?

Gold.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare liked this post
Old 14th June 2017, 08:18 PM
Enough words.

They're being good Christians and obeying their babble.. err, bible.
The Old Testicle has rules on who can't present before the lord.

Leviticus 21
16Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 17“Speak to Aaron, saying, ‘No man of your offspring throughout their generations who has a defect shall approach to offer the food of his God. 18‘For no one who has a defect shall approach: a blind man, or a lame man, or he who has a disfigured face, or any deformed limb, 19or a man who has a broken foot or broken hand, 20or a hunchback or a dwarf, or one who has a defect in his eye or eczema or scabs or crushed testicles.

I guess Christians could consider mental illness a defect. Maybe first though they should strip all their congregation naked and check for the above defects before allowing them in the church?
Appalling.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:30 PM

Doesn't matter. Very easy to get around discrimination, particularly if its related to mental health. Irrespective of the employer in question.

To be successful in taking action, it has to be very, very deliberate and obvious. Usually employers will just cite that you aren't a 'good fit' or referees weren't good enough - stuff like that. Arse covering.

Formally asking for exemption in this case completely lacked strategic forethought.
Old 16th June 2017, 08:59 PM
What Me Deluded?

They wouldn't indulge a congregant who notices the contradictions which are legion. Calling the Emperor's new clothes. The Dunning-Kruger effect.

Such a one is deemed manifesting critical spirit, rebellion, divisiveness as an attitudinal disorder, sin, which they would like to rationalise as a mental disorder, hence disqualifying them from playing in the band or giving a message or any delegated role. Ostracism, subordination.

LGBTIQ people are branded as addicted to satanic iniquity, the cure for which is repentance and consecration to Jesus. In other words, conformity. Self loathing from being stigmatised is sublimated in religious zeal, I guess. That is maladaptive, psychopathology.

If you are a bit different, at times the blues is your only friend. They can beget realisations, painfully. Such people are forced to ponder and seek insight which 'normal' folks never have to confront, so they never have to understand what being marginalised is like. They can be judgemental, confident in their normalcy, comfortable.

I think, let Family Voice win their abominable discrimination demand against those they can construe as having a mental disorder, though how cruel is that?

Religion is a lost cause anyway. This push can only hasten the happy demise of Christianity. There are plenty of healthy alternatives around now for people to find belonging and meaning. Family Voice is an anachronism thanks to humanist and scientific progress.
Like knowledge is power liked this post
Old 17th June 2017, 12:46 PM
Enough words.

They should ask themselves 'What would Jesus do?'

But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” Luke 14:13-14 (NIV)

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 6th July 2017, 07:23 AM
AFA Member

I remember a Sunday night church service at a northern Sydney Baptist church in 1984 where the minister talked about this happening. I was visiting family friends for the weekend, and had gone to the service with them.

This minister had been out west on a mission visiting and preaching around the place. This man's delusion told him was at another level when fighting the imaginary forces of Satan(This is the bloke who held girls down by their shoulders and screamed that they cannot be a christian without talking in tongues). He told the story that he was preaching one evening, when a demon possessed drunk Aboriginal lady ran into the church screaming in anguish. He then bragged how he ordered the evil creature to leave the church. He basically abused her until she left.

This was a bit much for me, so at the end of the service I made a commotion as I marched my way to the front of the line of people shaking the preachers hand. In as loud voice I asked what happened next, and as this lady was obviously looking for help, did he do as Jesus taught and seek her out with compassion to see if he could help? I can still remember holding his hand as tight as I could, everyone was watching, and he had nothing to say.

I could not believe the congregation accepted this guy's attitude, and simply ignored the bad parts. A church asking for legislation to be evil toward the mentally ill seems at odd's with the Jesus they present. Besides, they just need to call it religious discrimination due to demons, or whatever, and then there should not be a problem.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:49 AM
Flag upside-down is conventional protocol to indicate an emergency or problem

It's unusual for a Baptist to insist on speaking in tongues, DF.

When I was a student pentecostal minister (late 1990s), we had a Baptist join our college, and he needed special permission from his denomination, due to the tongues thing.

For snits and the agony of pique, take Umbrage.

Old 7th July 2017, 09:12 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I'm sorry, but i actually burst into a state of giggles when i read this. So the folk that believe in an invisible man in the sky dont want to employ anyone with a mental illness?

Gold.
You laugh. Then you cry. Then a cold chill of fear that you have to share a planet with such "people" It is only a short step to sterilisations or gas chambers for those deemed sub-human. Do you think that Hitler and Pol Pot came from nowhere? All they did was supply a demand already existing in people's black hearts. Fuck churches. Evil cunts. Now they are blaming women for kiddy-raping priests.