Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Ask a scientist

Ask a scientist Not up to speed with science jargon but have a sciency question?

Old 18th August 2017, 10:38 PM
What Me Deluded?

Default When Climate Change Denial Is All One Can Do.

This is a sad tale, tragic. The predictions based in science are calamitous for Cameron Mississippi.

But why wouldn't New York or any coastal locale on the globe not be similarly impacted? I empathise. It gets a bit much to think about. I had kids.

The Guardian

Climate change will likely wreck their livelihoods – but they still don't buy the science

'The small Louisiana town of Cameron could be the first in the US to be fully submerged by rising sea levels – and yet locals, 90% of whom voted for Trump, still aren’t convinced about climate change.'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-trump-support
Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 18th August 2017, 10:44 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: When Climate Change Denial Is All One Can Do.

Prediction: They won't change their minds. Ever.

@Goldenmane3

Old 18th August 2017, 11:10 PM
What Me Deluded?

Tellingly, Shannon Sims, writing for the Guardian grew up near Cameron Parish, south-west Louisiana. Why couldn't these other poor opinionated fools get themselves educated? There are scientists and council officials who are aware, to make the predictions the dunderheads won't listen to. They will never read the article Sims wrote either, I'll bet.

I know of the parochialism and anti-intellectualism which prevails in the country town. It's pretty stifling.
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:34 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Its pretty sad and horrifyingly stupid.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 7th September 2017, 10:29 PM
What Me Deluded?

Trump was eagerly tweeting about hurricane Harvey, 'Wow - now experts are calling Harvey a once in 500 year flood!' He relished the unprecedented force and staggering water volume Harvey delivered, since in Trump's conceit it reflects upon his personal importance, this is all happening on his watch. Unpresidented.

But he has to cling to that expert's statement since he is a committed climate breakdown denier.

I expect extremely violent hurricanes generating in series in the Caribbean as they are now doing will be the normal annual thing from now on. And I also expect the same for Queensland in cyclone season, and that they will come inland much further south, not just unrelenting vertical rain for a week as Lismore NSW is regularly subject to, but with violent cyclonic wind. Who knows how far south they could gain cyclonic energy and momentum, in the near future?

The South China Sea gets typhoons. Bangladesh gets cyclones. From the latest South Asia flood 100,000 houses have been destroyed in Bangladesh. 5.9 million acres of cropland have been destroyed across India, Bangladesh and Nepal. All that soil, landslides, mud washed into the sea.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-0...ladesh/8881510

All those refugees. Rohingya refugees are pouring into devastated Bangladesh from Myanmar.

Quote:
Cumulative Emissions

From 1870 to 2014, cumulative carbon emissions totaled about 545 GtC. Emissions were partitioned among the atmosphere (approx. 230 GtC or 42%), ocean (approx. 155 GtC or 28%) and the land (approx. 160 GtC or 29%).

*1 gigatonne of carbon (GtC) = 1 billion tonnes of carbon

Atmospheric Accumulation

The 2014 level of CO2 in the atmospheric was 43% above the level when the Industrial Revolution started in 1750.
https://www.co2.earth/global-co2-emissions

CO2 stores the heat from the Sun, (plus industry, and volcanoes) which would otherwise be reflected and radiated out into space as the atmosphere and biosphere functioned prior to Industrialisation in the sweet Holocene Period we now enjoy, but it is now actually the Anthropocene we have entered.

That heat energy gets stored in the atmosphere and oceans, acting as a capacitor. Just as static electricity builds in storm clouds and discharges in lightning, so stored thermal energy from the Sun and industry unloads, expends itself, unleashes in violent, extreme weather events. This is entropy at work. Work is being done, disorder the result, catastrophe for we mere mortals in our little boxes. Skyscrapers standing in salt water.

This is Doomsday prophesy coming from me, all mere conjecture about extreme weather as the norm now, but I think this is how the physics of conversion works meteorologically, on the rotating planet with all this water, all that heat.

Population growth and consumption is unsustainable. It is currently so. Unsustainable is the most important word of the last 100 years.

We never hear about the nuclear energy option for Australia. It will come to pass in the next 10 years I think. We need it in the interim while we manufacture renewables. It is imperative we get out of carbon now. Livestock releases very considerable quantities of methane. So is Siberia beginning to do as the permafrost melts. Expect the vast Siberian forests to catch fire pretty soon.

Last edited by Strato; 7th September 2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 8th September 2017, 06:54 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
Strato said View Post
I expect extremely violent hurricanes generating in series in the Caribbean as they are now doing will be the normal annual thing from now on.
While agree with the main thrust of your post, I had my doubts about that sentence. I know the probability of it happening is increasing, but can we make such a generalisation, that it will be annual?

I can't remember where I heard it, but I recall someone noting there has been a large number of "one in 500 year" floods recently. Even that can be tricky. If you are looking at 500 regions, you'd expect on average one of those big floods every year.

I also agree about nuclear energy, but it really needs some strong caveats. Waste and safety are susceptible to cost-cutting and corruption. People cutting corners on these issues are in denial like climate sceptics are in denial. TEPCO was in denial when it designed the tsunami defences at Fukushima.
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 8th September 2017, 07:36 AM
AFA Member

Humanity seems to lack the organisational intelligence and rigour to do nuclear energy safely and peacefully. I mean we can't even stop genocide.
In every case there will be cost-benefit analyses and a tendency to underestimate worst case scenarios.

We could supply all of Australia's energy needs with solar and wind if the Liberal party stopped taking (paper bag) donations from the Coal industry. The other thing that surprises me and I really don't understand is why oceanic currents are not tapped in an ecologically thoughtful way, with for example windmills/watermills contained within barrels.
Old 8th September 2017, 07:41 AM
Flag upside-down is conventional protocol to indicate an emergency or problem

@Wadaye: Hot rocks?

For snits and the agony of pique, take Umbrage.

Old 8th September 2017, 09:55 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
I can't remember where I heard it, but I recall someone noting there has been a large number of "one in 500 year" floods recently. Even that can be tricky. If you are looking at 500 regions, you'd expect on average one of those big floods every year.

I'm not sure it works like that. A "one in 500 year flood" event is recorded no matter which of 500 regions it happens in, in other word the event is recorded as such for all regions. Just because you have 500 regions were it might flood doesn't mean you should get one every year because it would be recorded as just a normal yearly peak flood and the "one in 500 year" flood would be much worse than the yearly peak flood.

Statistics are funny things, I would need to ask a statistician exactly how it works. Of course if they start getting these super storm events much more regularly then they just become the new norm and the "one in 500 year" event would be much worse. So this flood they are having may be a "one in 100 year", or even a "one n 10 year" event from now on.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:08 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
@Wadaye: Hot rocks?
Would require a significant amount of Government investment as private industry is too wary of investing in long time frame technology with risk of no return and without the promise of immediate returns.

There are some concerns about interfering with geographical stability. It might not seem like an issue but it would be a concern if the great artesian basin were to spring a leak I suppose.