Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 12th November 2017, 11:51 PM
Flag upside-down is conventional protocol to indicate an emergency or problem

Default Re: First Hello

Quote:
conditioned2 said View Post
Darwinsbuldog appears to be a little dismissive of metaphysics. Some philosophical scholars are also dismissive of certain aspects of Aristotle and Plato, but in my opinion, this is because of their misunderstanding of these two mental giants. The following is an extract from my second book, which deals with Greek wisdom.
Wow, misdirection and segue to plugging the books in three sentences!

That's masterful.

For snits and the agony of pique, take Umbrage.

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 12th November 2017, 11:52 PM

The spontaneous psychiatric diagnosis provided by The Irreverent Mr Black is telling, got proof.
Dislike The Irreverent Mr Black disliked this post
Old 12th November 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
The spontaneous psychiatric diagnosis provided by The Irreverent Mr Black is telling, got proof.
What psychiatric diagnosis?

Apophenia is the tendency to attribute meaning to perceived connections or patterns between seemingly unrelated things. Confirmation bias is a variation of apophenia.

Your scholarly nature is somewhat lacking.

Old 13th November 2017, 12:02 AM

Farewell all. The exchange of personal opinion is not appealing to me, I much rather considered opinion, and better yet reasoned opinion.
Dislike Blue Lightning disliked this post
Old 13th November 2017, 12:03 AM

While our new friend is wondering what apophenia is (and at first failing to comprehend that it is a phenomenon, rather than a condition), let me tell our readers about applied apophenia in the wild.

LINKY

Quote:
During the latter part of 1997, I heard a rumor that when Pink Floyd's masterpiece Dark Side of the Moon (DSotM) is played while watching the 1939 film classic The Wizard of Oz (TWoO), several connections or synchronicities between the two appear. These connections included the lyrics, the song titles, the mood and timing of the music, and even the cover art. A friend of mine sent me a list of several connections, and I became immediately intrigued. That night I bought a copy of the film and tried the experiment. It was absolutely fantastic! It was way better than I had envisioned. I was extremely impressed with how well the synchronicities lasted through the entire album. So, after watching a few more times, I was absolutely convinced that it was an intentional creation by the band. (I am definitely in the minority in regards to this. Most people think it's all a coincidence.) As an engineer, I asked myself a simple question, "How would they accomplish this task?" They would have to obtain a reel of the film and a projector. How hard would that be for a successful rock band to do? Not that hard considering they had friends in the movie business. Pink Floyd had performed on at least three movie soundtracks already with More, Zabriskie Point, and La Vallee (The Valley Obscured by Clouds). How did Pink Floyd get the idea? Consider this quote taken from the CD booklet for the Zabriskie Point Soundtrack (page 24) when Don Hall describes how Jerry Garcia created one of the songs: "We went into the large studio at M-G-M, which they usually used for the symphony orchestras. And Jerry sat there by himself, on a stool, laying it down. They had the love scene on a loop, and he played live while the film was running. He didn't want to do it away from the film and then cut things in. He played right to every single shot in the scene. That's why there are certain notes over certain frames, over people moving in the desert. He played right while watching it. It was miraculous -- pure genius." Has the band left clues to point to the DSotM/TWoO synchronization? Consider these facts listed in the Shine On book from the box set: "1969 - Judy Garland found dead in her London flat. 1971 - Editors of OZ are charged with obscenity at the Old Bailey. 1971 - Pink Floyd premiere 'Eclipse,' later to be named 'The Dark Side of the Moon' at the Rainbow Theatre." I don't think I need to remind anyone about the biggest song of TWoO, "Somewhere over the Rainbow."

The thing I noticed about DSotM was that the album had one central theme and the songs flowed from one to the other, unlike most rock albums that have distinct breaks between songs. I then realized that several Pink Floyd albums exhibit the same characteristics of one central theme, songs flowing together, and elaborate artwork. I thought to myself, if they truly created the DSotM/TWoO Synchronization, then maybe they did it again. I went to visit my friend Jeff Stillman, who knows a lot about movies, to tell him my thoughts. I wanted to create a list of the biggest, most popular, or most important movies of all time. Our list was something like this: Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, The Ten Commandments, and The Sound of Music. So, I went to video store and rented a bunch of movies. The main album I was targeting was Wish You Were Here (WYWH), the follow-up of DSotM. I remember trying Animals with Animal Farm that night. It didn't work. However, my friend Jeff found a connection between Wish You Were Here and one of our listed movies. He told me about it the next day, and after a week or so, he had written up an excellent essay explaining the connections, which is included on this page. From this point further, I began my search for a movie synchronization for each Pink Floyd album, and this web page is the result of my efforts. I only include on this page what I feel are intentional syncs created by the band.
DSOTM sync story

http://www.goldminemag.com/features/...de-of-the-moon

http://www.synchronicityarkive.com/s...e-wizard-of-oz

Oh yes, all this and more!

Now, the question arises: did Pink Floyd make sure the album synchronised to Dark Side Of The Moon, or did Wendland merely discover a lot of points that made sense to him?

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 13th November 2017 at 12:40 AM. Reason: DSOTM syncy linky
Like hackenslash, Strato, DanDare liked this post
Old 13th November 2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Farewell all. The exchange of personal opinion is not appealing to me, I much rather considered opinion, and better yet reasoned opinion.
You bring what, even you must confess, is a controversial idea.

Controversy arises.

You flee.

Were you expecting an echo chamber?

Old 13th November 2017, 12:18 AM
Cuss-tard

[QUOTE=conditioned2;601964]The proof is in the books that I wrote,[quote]

Nope.

Quote:
and the fact that in the Koine Greek document, misnamed the Gospel of Matthew, it explains how free-will and determinism both operate in their different ways, and are not opposed to each other.
Nope.

I'm not going to read your book, because I've read the posts you've written here and they bore me to tears.

I've lost count of the number of people who've come along claiming to have the secret to decoding ancient wisdom. There's no such thing. As ancient wisdom, or a way to decode it.

And the fact that you can't condense the central points down at all means I'm more likely to pay attention to cunts like, well, me, who can at least inject some entertainment into the questions of determinism and free will. (Rest easy, I was predetermined to make that joke.)

No-one's gonna buy your books, mate. Christians won't, because they don't buy even mainstream books that challenge their views. And atheists won't, because it's fucking boring and stupid and sad. And no-one else will care either way.

At best you're gonna get a a few sales from the disturbed and the profoundly ignorant. I'd wish you best of luck with it, but the best luck would involve not what you're doing right now.

@Goldenmane3

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 13th November 2017, 08:49 AM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

Quote:
Strato said View Post
I am finishing The Blank Slate, Steven Pinker. Excellent. The 3rd Pinker book for me. I have also read several Daniel C. Dennett books and Sam Harris. I will get Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman next.

I think I am on the right track with neuroscience and cognitive science, evolutionary understandings.

The material is all there is. Everything admits of a naturalistic explanation.

Thanks anyway conditioned2.
Kahneman is awesome. He establishes for me beyond all rational doubt the utter lack of value or utility of eyewitness testimony.

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 13th November 2017, 03:43 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Quote:
What I have actually done is to prove that the Gospel of Matthew does not support the existence of such a make believe entity. The Gospel of Matthew contains a theory of mind, and it establishes that each person is their own mental god, and that their own mental subjects and thoughts should be obedient to the mental rule of the rational thinker
Got proof that was the intent of the authors?
What one can be certain of is that you have written reams to substantiate your conceit, conditioned2. You have come here to advertise the fact.

I believe Mr. Black correctly identified your illumination as apophenia, providing a link to the term, as he is wont to do, for your own benefit.

You have invested everything into this your conceit, your time and your very identity. But your evidence and argumentation all shows mere confirmation bias.

'There is no nice way to tell someone they have given their all to a delusion'. Daniel C. Dennett.

In all seriousness I would counsel you to take care for your mental health. Private, as distinct from public knowledge, of 'things hidden,' gnosis can drive people barking mad.

Show intellectual courage and honesty and let it go. You will not lose your mind if you do but if you don't you may well do.

Also it sounds rather authoritative when you refer to 'mental laws.' This insight is exclusive to yourself.

But there is no such thing.
Like Blue Lightning, hackenslash, DanDare liked this post
Old 13th November 2017, 04:47 PM

One last hurrah for Skeptics. To The Irreverent Mr Black, you expressed an opinion that the bible is “fictional shite”. As this is a Skeptics forum, which is presumably concerned with rational inquiry, would you please give me the benefit of your knowledge of the Bible. Did you examine the original Koine Greek text in order to verify that the biblical interpretation provided by the translators was valid? Or did you just make a monumental assumption that there was only one possible interpretation, and that it was a religious document as the religious clerics would have us believe? If you are relying on the translation of the bible that has been provided by others, then you do not know anything about the bible, all you know is what biblical interpreters say they know. These same biblical scholars have interpreted the Koine Greek word Μαρίας (mirias), which comes from Μαρία (maria – Strong’s No. G3137), as Mary (Mother of Jesus), singular, even though more than two thirds of the eleven occurrences in the Gospel of Matthew have neuter or masculine noun endings, and a similar portion are plural, which is in line with the Hebrew plural abstract meaning “their rebellion”. Is the level of your inquiry into the nature of the document best summed up in the opinion you earlier expressed about the bible, that “it's fictional shite”?
Dislike Blue Lightning, DanDare disliked this post