Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 12th November 2017, 01:10 PM
There will be bacon

Default Re: First Hello

Mental aspects are covered by psychology, psychiatry, anatomy, chemistry and physics.

Perhaps the bible's just flawed because it's fictional shite.

Why would it need to be a seekrit code?

I also had a large cackle at what I think you were saying in one of your pre-wibbles: something about Gamaliel being a student of Plato; that would be a very long pull of the leg.

Won't somebody park a bus in front of the implosion?

Like Strato, Blue Lightning, hackenslash liked this post
Old 12th November 2017, 04:29 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

The bible in various versions does nothing much to rationally support the notion that there is a deity.
Researching it to see if it contains some wisdom that was lost in translation is a nice thing to do. However the modern world has moved on and there is so much more wisdom around to just pick off the tree of knowledge these days.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 12th November 2017, 06:42 PM
What Me Deluded?

I am finishing The Blank Slate, Steven Pinker. Excellent. The 3rd Pinker book for me. I have also read several Daniel C. Dennett books and Sam Harris. I will get Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman next.

I think I am on the right track with neuroscience and cognitive science, evolutionary understandings.

The material is all there is. Everything admits of a naturalistic explanation.

Thanks anyway conditioned2.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 12th November 2017, 08:47 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
conditioned2 said View Post
Metaphysics is concerned with mental aspects of you, and if you want to understand yourself then you need to understand the mental laws that govern how humans think. If the old interpretation of the Bible is flawed, then people who say they believe in God because the bible tells them so, have been misinformed. My books do not prove that God does not exist; no one can prove a negative. But I can now dismiss claims of God's existence based on the biblical testament.
Metaphysics is concerned with "first principles" which are often [unfortunately] assumptions extracted from the rectum. Some of it was about the self. Literally it means "more than physics". That implies the non-material, but it is really a priori reasoning, innocent of much in the way of evidence. Assumptions really.

eg Start with a god, and see where you can go with it? I have no problem with abstract thinking, but one needs to make a pretty good case for ignoring all the available evidence, or in the case of gods, the lack of evidence.

Most, but not all metaphysics, is bullshit- brain-wankery as matter of course. A few bits are plausible, but not falsifiable.
Old 12th November 2017, 11:03 PM

I am a little dismayed that what I have said has been misunderstood by many. The Bible is not about religion, just as Aesop's fable of a Tortoise and a Hare is not actually about a race between animals. The books of the Bible contain philosophical thesis that reflect a person’s internal mental world, and the fable of the external story is just that, a story that is easy to remember, but the message is not in the external story.
DanDare seems to think that I have found God or a deity in the Gospel. What I have actually done is to prove that the Gospel of Matthew does not support the existence of such a make believe entity. The Gospel of Matthew contains a theory of mind, and it establishes that each person is their own mental god, and that their own mental subjects and thoughts should be obedient to the mental rule of the rational thinker. Sadly many people have mental worries because their rational rule as thinker is being attacked by their own irrational and emotional thinking.
Old 12th November 2017, 11:06 PM
There will be bacon

Quote:
I am a little dismayed that what I have said has been misunderstood by many. The Bible is not about religion, just as Aesop's fable of a Tortoise and a Hare is not actually about a race between animals. The books of the Bible contain philosophical thesis that reflect a personís internal mental world, and the fable of the external story is just that, a story that is easy to remember, but the message is not in the external story.
DanDare seems to think that I have found God or a deity in the Gospel. What I have actually done is to prove that the Gospel of Matthew does not support the existence of such a make believe entity. The Gospel of Matthew contains a theory of mind, and it establishes that each person is their own mental god, and that their own mental subjects and thoughts should be obedient to the mental rule of the rational thinker. Sadly many people have mental worries because their rational rule as thinker is being attacked by their own irrational and emotional thinking.
Got proof that was the intent of the authors?

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 12th November 2017, 11:08 PM

Strato,
I agree "- Everything admits of a naturalistic explanation. The physical laws that are inherent in the physical non-organic material have given rise the mental laws that are inherent in the organic physical material
Old 12th November 2017, 11:28 PM

The proof is in the books that I wrote, and the fact that in the Koine Greek document, misnamed the Gospel of Matthew, it explains how free-will and determinism both operate in their different ways, and are not opposed to each other. This is something that no philosopher in the last 2000 years has been able to do. Even Emanuel Kant could only define free-will, but his definition was inadequate. I am being accused of making assumptions, and starting with God, etc. I examined the gospel, word by word, and not by accepting the testament of another interpreter. Sort of me providing 740 pages of examination and explanation in this forum, all I can say is the proof is in the books.
Dislike The Irreverent Mr Black disliked this post
Old 12th November 2017, 11:31 PM
There will be bacon

Quote:
The proof is in the books that I wrote, and the fact that in the Koine Greek document, misnamed the Gospel of Matthew, it explains how free-will and determinism both operate in their different ways, and are not opposed to each other. This is something that no philosopher in the last 2000 years has been able to do. Even Emanuel Kant could only define free-will, but his definition was inadequate. I am being accused of making assumptions, and starting with God, etc. I examined the gospel, word by word, and not by accepting the testament of another interpreter. Sort of me providing 740 pages of examination and explanation in this forum, all I can say is the proof is in the books.
No, that does not show intent on the part of the author/s: it shows that you have produced what you claim is a translation, showing all these wondrous things that have somehow eluded linguists and theologians up till now.

I think apophenia may be involved. Or something like Da Vinci Codswallop.

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 12th November 2017, 11:39 PM

Darwinsbuldog appears to be a little dismissive of metaphysics. Some philosophical scholars are also dismissive of certain aspects of Aristotle and Plato, but in my opinion, this is because of their misunderstanding of these two mental giants. The following is an extract from my second book, which deals with Greek wisdom.
Aristotle is said to have rejected the cosmology of the Timaeus on the grounds that it nonsensically required a beginning of the universe in time, but also a beginning of time itself. Aristotle, like Plato, is very inventive, and gives the impression of disagreeing with the theories of preceding philosophers, including Plato, when in fact what he is doing is expressing the same metaphysics in his own allegorical language. The author believes the use of the word “nonsensically” is Aristotle’s way of deflecting any suspicion of agreement by appearing to disagree with a particular theory.

In the case of Plato’s use of time in relation to the creation of the mental world, Aristotle says this is nonsensical, meaning that time cannot be directly sensed. One may notice the physical or mental changes that occur, but one does not notice the passage of time itself. In other words, Aristotle does not say the mental world is not created, what he is cryptically saying is that humans have many senses, but in respect to time a capacity to sense time directly is not one of them. The existence of time is inferred, and it is naughty of Aristotle to verbally misdirect the reader. As stated earlier, time is a comparative mental process, that compares memory and present reality, and a noticeable difference only exists if there is a noticeable change. People who undergo sensory deprivation have no accurate sense of time, because time is inferred from sensing physical changes; being deprived of those physical sensed changes robs the thinker of the ability to infer time.