Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 13th November 2017, 05:26 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
The conservatives' bill is a disgrace. The Bill seeks to override exisiting state and territory Anti-Discrimination laws and restrict the states and territories from legislating protections for LGBTQI.
It certainly is, and I think the conservatives may be badly misreading the mood in Australia. There may have been a number of waverers on SSM they could swing to their side using rhetoric, false as much of it may have been, to bring the vote much closer than it should have been, but to roll back anti-discrimination laws is another thing altogether.

But note the interesting undercurrent here? There aren't many people, even in the comments section of popular newspapers, that claim the no vote can still win! It's all about damage control now, and like any controlling dictatorship they have gone about it the wrong way, crack down even harder is never the solution, it's desperation.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:28 PM
What Me Deluded?

I just read Gough Whitlam, The Truth of the Matter 1979. It was in accommodation we rented. A literary treasure.

Gough had a giant heart. He had to have to power that big brain of his up there. He picked up on progressive thinking and pushed the Labour Party and the nation to embrace it. He attained to 98, died Oct 21, 2014.

So I was curious as to his stance on rights for people of other than heterosexual orientation.

Below refers to a letter Whitlam wrote to activist and author Dennis Altman, dated 14 August 1972.

Gough found homophobia puzzling.

He certainly stands in high contrast to the mean spirited, anachronistic conservatives pushing to override anti discrimination laws in contemporary Australia.

The Star Observer

Oct 25 2014
National News

Letter to gay activists shows Gough Whitlam’s early influence on decriminalisation

'Gough Whitlam reveals his pro-gay rights stance in a letter to gay liberation activist Dennis Altman just months before the election that made him Prime Minister.'

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/...isation/129293
Like Blue Lightning, odd liked this post
Old 13th November 2017, 11:43 PM
What Me Deluded?

David Marr is a great writer. His journalistic focus on the established privilege and power, dark doings and machinations to maintain the status quo, and for survival within the Church and in Christianity collectively, has its affordances for David Marr.

The Guardian
Nov 13
Same-sex marriage postal survey

Hanging on for dear life, hardliners change tack on same-sex marriage

David Marr
'In the lead-up to Wednesday’s postal survey result, Christian warriors embrace the language of ‘human rights’ in a last-ditch effort to uphold their power over us.'

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...e-sex-marriage
Like odd liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Fie thanked this post
Old 14th November 2017, 01:28 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

So John Birmingham has nailed it again.

In 24 hours we'll know the result of the Vote That Wasn't Even

Quote:
Jeez. Who would’ve imagined that a process as cruel, pointless and asinine as the same-sex marriage survey would end in a meth-powered goat orgy of cruelty and pointless assiness?

Narrator’s voice: Everyone.

Hundreds of thousands of our friends and family members, our neighbours, our colleagues, our fellow citizens, will spend the next 24 hours keeping anxiety and even a little fear off their faces and out of their eyes while we wait on the result of this non-compulsory non-binding "survey" of our opinion about their human rights.

Befitting an exercise which was always more about the arcane fratricidal hatreds of the Liberal Party - and assuming a YES vote - the next couple of weeks will be all about the arcane fratricidal hatreds of the Liberal Party.
It’s already started, with the presumed losers of the Vote That Wasn’t Even manoeuvring to assert that because they lost they should get all the things. But especially their most precious thing; the legal enshrined right to keep on hatin’.

A fresh turd in the hot tub, the "alternative" marriage legislation stirred into the bubbly waters of our democratic spa bath by Victorian Liberal senator and magical talking toilet brush James Paterson, will almost certainly disappear.

But not before it floats there for a few days, making everyone feel uncomfortable and desperately wanting a second shower.

As the wicked Mr Denmore commented upon the Twitters in regards to Paterson’s new-found concern for social engineering in the education system, “I don’t recall the spotty libertarians of the IPA standing up for public school children whose education was disrupted by ‘scripture’ classes.”
Indeed.

Framing any legislation in terms of just how much hatred you’re going to let slide would hand an unexpected and unearned victory to the liars and fantasists of the NO campaign.

That would be a hell of a thing, if it turned out they got their arses beat like a toy drum in the final tally.

But of course we went through this whole rotten campaign because Malcolm Turnbull was too weak to stand up to the bigoted weirdos in the disintegrating garbage barge of the Liberal Party.

There is zero chance he’ll stand up to them now.

Even with a clear majority of the electorate behind him.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 14th November 2017, 01:48 PM

'Meth-powered goat orgy of cruelty and pointless assines' thats acually really acurate, this guys a poet.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Like Blue Lightning, wolty liked this post
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 14th November 2017, 06:24 PM

...Victorian Liberal senator and magical talking toilet brush James Paterson...

That image is going to stay with me for quite a while, very apt too!

It's a strange thing that these churches are opposed to LGBTQI, unwed mothers, adulterers, men and women in de facto relationships, but up until fairly recently they've been fine with paedopiles.
Hopefully the yes side will win and it'll be a small step towards the churches losing their undeserved right to be bigoted f*cks.
“There is something infantile in the presumption that somebody else has a responsibility to give your life meaning and point… The truly adult view, by contrast, is that our life is as meaningful, as full and as wonderful as we choose to make it.”
Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 14th November 2017, 08:45 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Fie said View Post
...Victorian Liberal senator and magical talking toilet brush James Paterson...

That image is going to stay with me for quite a while, very apt too!

It's a strange thing that these churches are opposed to LGBTQI, unwed mothers, adulterers, men and women in de facto relationships, but up until fairly recently they've been fine with paedopiles.
Hopefully the yes side will win and it'll be a small step towards the churches losing their undeserved right to be bigoted f*cks.
Oh don't worry, you did see that bit in the proposed bill right?

Quote:
“anti-detriment clause” that would prevent government authorities from taking legal action against an individual “with a traditional view of marriage”.
If this odious bill gets passed, and that's not used right away to try and defend some low life with a child bride because that's their traditional view of marriage and therefore he is protected from legal action I will be most surprised!

Open a can of worms and then be all surprised because a worm crawls out? That's conservatives for you!
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Fie thanked this post
Old 15th November 2017, 09:01 AM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

We're one hour away from the results release.

I really really hope that we didn't go through this survey for nothing. I also hope that if it is a win for yes, then it's convincing (60-65%).
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 15th November 2017, 09:21 AM

It's has been so damn stressfull having our rights debated while bigots spout shit about consequences that are either never elaborated on or just have nothing to do with marriage. I'll be glad when it's over and the government can move onto maybe acually doing something instead of pissing money away on bullshit.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 15th November 2017, 09:24 AM
There will be bacon

@LadyG: There were some dinosaur elements who hung out to make this waste of $ non-binding.

Expect more pissing-away, and the spouting of even more shite.

Won't somebody park a bus in front of the implosion?