Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 30th October 2017, 04:29 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

The religious view: SSM -> causes -> sex education expansion, reduction in right to discriminate on religion, reduction in religion privilege.
Actual situation:
Properly secular and reasoned society -> causes -> SSM, sex education expansion, reduction in right to discriminate on religion, reduction in religion privilege.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 1st November 2017, 05:24 PM
AFA Member

It astounds me when people announce the bleedin obvious as if it were a revelation!

Quote:
ONE in six Australians believe that relationships between same-sex couples should be considered a criminal act, according to a new survey.
When grown up adult Australian compare homosexuality to paedophilia and bestiality it's obvious that a large percentage of the population is still living in the middle ages. Surprise, we still have a large number of religious people in the country, for some of them just having it criminalised wouldn't be enough, cue the tall buildings!

And not only do they announce the bleedin obvious as a revelation, they go on to announce the absolute fucking obviousity of obviouses...I was seriously running out of words there, so I made some up!

Quote:
This figure was significantly higher in the African and Middle Eastern areas that were surveyed, coming in at 45 per cent and 36 per cent.
They still fucking murder people in some of those countries for being gay, you don't have to fucking tell us that countries run religious wacko fundamentalists....of all stripes Muslim and Christian, hate homosexuality, homosexuals and SSM, not sure if that is the right order but I suspect any order would be fine.

And they they...oh fuck I just can't do it any more, here it is;

Quote:
A new study conducted by Galaxy Research for PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) found that, of the Australians who have handed back their same-sex marriage surveys, 66 per cent have voted Yes and an even larger majority of 78 per cent want same-sex couples receive the same treatment as any other couple.

But it seems that these results might not echo global attitudes as much as previously thought.
Hello. hello mr journalist, is anyone home in that head of yours? We know that already, the world is full of injustice, hate, murder and death, much of it promoted by religious fundamentalists and much of it directed against people who differ in even slightest from the rules laid down in their ancient book of horrors.

Really, some people. I'm sure the nice people who actually did the survey weren't at all surprised, I just don't understand journalists. Is it because there are no serious stories left, which I can't believe in a world where Trump is US President, or are there so few real journalists around we are subjected to abject bollocks every day. This is nearly as bad as the last article from news.com I choked on the other day!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay...db04f3401b6e3b

Last edited by stevebrooks; 1st November 2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 1st November 2017, 05:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Really, some people. I'm sure the nice people who actually did the survey weren't at all surprised, I just don't understand journalists. Is it because there are no serious stories left, which I can't believe in a world where Trump is US President, or are there so few real journalists around we are subjected to abject bollocks every day. This is nearly as bad as the last article from news.com I choked on the other day!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay...db04f3401b6e3b
Nah, that article the other day, profiling pedophiles was way worse, Steve. That one was nasty, obfuscated facts, played on the worst base prejudices and was basically an evil afront to humanism and reason. But, typical of news.com and like you, i just found this one banal and boring. It says nothing that anyone with an any interest in the world, culture, history, religion doesnt already know. However, from one perspective, it does make Australia sound quite enlightened and progressive. 78% in favor of SSM? Cool. 16% want criminalisation, just like some African countries and the middle east? Well, that makes those 16% look like dicks, doesnt it. Not the Australian way at all.

Yes, i'm putting a positive spin on this one.

News.com is a summary of mainstream gossip and current affairs topics discussed at water coolers all around the country. It's a good website for getting a sense of what a large number of people are talking about. Keep your expectations low, mate. Actual analysis aint coming from this website, mostly. But i like this site. It's a snapshot of what is actually being talked about by probably a majority of Australians.
Old 1st November 2017, 06:15 PM
Flag upside-down is conventional protocol to indicate an emergency or problem

@SteveB: LINKY

Quote:
Immediately upon assuming control of the Sunday Mail and the News, Murdoch immersed himself in all aspects of the papers' daily operations. He wrote headlines, redesigned page layouts and labored in the typesetting and printing rooms. He quickly converted the News into a chronicle of crime, sex and scandal, and while these changes were controversial, the paper's circulation soared. Only three years later, in 1956, Murdoch expanded his operations by purchasing the Perth-based Sunday Times, and revamped it in the sensationalist style of the News.
He's been stirring the pot for sales since Goaty was a little kid.

For snits and the agony of pique, take Umbrage.

Old 1st November 2017, 06:22 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

Yes, but Rupert is very very old now. I'm sure he's done his bit on succession and placing his favorites in particular jobs but given the vastness of his empire i find it hard to believe that he knows what the fuck is going on in all his publications and offerings.
Old 1st November 2017, 06:34 PM
Flag upside-down is conventional protocol to indicate an emergency or problem

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

Yes, but Rupert is very very old now. I'm sure he's done his bit on succession and placing his favorites in particular jobs but given the vastness of his empire i find it hard to believe that he knows what the fuck is going on in all his publications and offerings.
I bet he still has people sacked, and I bet his stamp is still firmly ground into the editorial policy.

Ooh!
Quote:
Paul Tash, editor of Florida’s St. Petersburg Times and board chairman of the nonprofit Poynter Institute, a journalism think tank, said he is wary of Murdoch’s record of editorial intervention.

But he also noted that Murdoch’s history suggests “he will try to build Dow Jones and The Wall Street Journal rather than use it to harvest profits in a period of decline. That’s not his style.”

What makes the establishment media world so nervous are charges that Murdoch’s master plan often includes interfering in editorial decisions to advance his political or business aims.

For snits and the agony of pique, take Umbrage.

Old 2nd November 2017, 05:36 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
COULD it be a win for the No vote in the $122 million same-sex marriage postal survey? Academics from Griffith University says ‘yes’ to that.

They say an academic study of Twitter opinion points to No narrowly prevailing in the poll, which closes on November 7.

And the advanced data analysis techniques used by Griffith University's’s David Tuffley and Bela Stantic has also predicted results other polls got wrong, including the result of the 2016 Presidential election which saw Donald Trump become US President.
While 72 per cent of tweets favoured same-sex marriage, less than 15 per cent were sent by people over the age of 55, the Griffith University study shows.

Tuffley and Stantic used the “uncannily accurate” analytics to look at publicly-available data from 458,565 tweets throughout October.

At first look, the Tweets appeared to show overwhelming support for the yes vote.
But when the pair took the sentiment of unique users into account, the adjusted ‘yes’ vote figure went from 72 per cent down to 57 per cent.

It dropped further — below the magic 50 per cent mark — when they took into account the low proportion of tweets from people over 55, and matched it against the 36 per cent of the voter pool they represent. That tinkering saw the support for ‘yes’ drop to 49 per cent.

“So it is likely to be a close-run result, much closer than the earlier polls suggested, and leaning in the direction of ‘no,’ Professor Stantic and Mr Tuffley said.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay...4be4a84ff9e874

Be prepared folks. Best to be a bit stoic about this, prepare for the worst, hope for better. i refuse to shocked if 'no' wins, like i was with Trump. I'm ready for the bigots to win, in fact bring it on because it's merely an impediment to marriage equality and you know what? Turnbull may discover whats in his pants and tell the parliament we're going to have a conscience vote anyway. (Though again, i'm not expecting that but ya never know)
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:16 PM
Enough words.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Be prepared folks. Best to be a bit stoic about this, prepare for the worst, hope for better. i refuse to shocked if 'no' wins, like i was with Trump. I'm ready for the bigots to win, in fact bring it on because it's merely an impediment to marriage equality and you know what? Turnbull may discover whats in his pants and tell the parliament we're going to have a conscience vote anyway. (Though again, i'm not expecting that but ya never know)
I will be angry if it's a 'no' vote. I'm tired of being nice, and I'm sure the bigots will expect the 'yes' voters to shut up now it's over.
It WILL happen sometime, so they can damn well stick it.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:24 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

The no vote will not win. If it is over 35% I will need a lot of alcohol to get me through the rest of they year.

In the interests of full disclosure, I also said there was no way Trump would win.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare laughed at this post
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
odd said View Post
The no vote will not win. If it is over 35% I will need a lot of alcohol to get me through the rest of they year.

In the interests of full disclosure, I also said there was no way Trump would win.
Trump didn't win, it was Putin who won!