Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 24th May 2017, 04:05 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: Royal Commission into child abuse announced

The Coroner published his report into the Lindt cafe siege this morning. Don't attach too much weight the ten second grabs you'll hear on the news tonight, or the most controversial snippets likely to be chosen by some media, in isolation. The Coroner's report appears to be a careful, high quality, nuanced piece of work, which will take some time to digest. Link here.

[/OT]

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 24th May 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 24th May 2017, 04:07 PM

@Mods - should there be a thread split of the "gay panic", "battered woman", and Lindt siege posts?
Old 24th May 2017, 07:32 PM
AFA Member

Fucking puppy should shut the fuck up and stop derailing--as an ex-mod I should know better.

That said, I think the law is an ass, and a lot of the old stuff is woo-driven [eg marriage law and custom, voluntary euthanasia, abortion laws, etc etc. And most lawyers are arseholes in our experience. Better half even tries to teach new ones at Uni. Ethics. [Though I suppose ethics courses are relatively new to professions like doctoring and lawyering].

Of course they are not all bad, there are some good ones like BL. Sir Ronald Wilson was not too bad. Bloody snob though. He ignored better half once at a lawyer's do. Which is not the way to make friends with the puppy. He didn't want his better half to know he knew A. A. is the bestist person in the whole universe, so anyone who crosses her better watch out, the puppy sometimes bites! I dismiss such people as trash. Still, he was a good mentor to her, but I suppose being born in the dark ages has it's disadvantages.
Old 24th May 2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
... I think the law is an ass ...
Quote:
Churchill said >
Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 24th May 2017 at 08:07 PM.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 25th May 2017, 05:50 PM
Then things got awkward

Just in: Decision on Pell Charges Imminent. (Not eminent!)

Quote:
Sex crimes detectives are poised to make a decision about whether or not charges will be laid against Cardinal George Pell.

Victoria's police chief on Thursday said a decision about charging the senior Catholic figure was "not too far off".

"The decision is imminent on that," Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 25th May 2017, 06:01 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Decision needs to be made, charges need to be laid, conviction needs to be made. Then and only then, he will be guilty of being more than a pompous prat, but his church will role on, the try guilty party will escape.
Dislike Blue Lightning disliked this post
Old 25th May 2017, 06:25 PM
Then things got awkward

Quote:
Sieveboy said View Post
Quote:
Decision needs to be made, charges need to be laid, conviction needs to be made. Then and only then, he will be guilty of being more than a pompous prat, but his church will role on, the try guilty party will escape.
A fair trial is important, and I'd hate to see it prejudiced. That might be even worse than seeing him thumb his nose over steak and chips, crying heart problems.

Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Like DanDare, Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 25th May 2017, 06:42 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
A fair trial is important, and I'd hate to see it prejudiced. That might be even worse than seeing him thumb his nose over steak and chips, crying heart problems.
Indeed.
Old 25th May 2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Sieveboy said View Post
@SB - IMO, your post is profoundly wrong, on multiple levels.

I agree that a decision needs to be made, as it surely will be.

I do not know whether these charges should be laid. Further, AFAIK, the publicly available information does not permit such a judgment to be made.

I certainly know that there is insufficient information for us to say

Quote:
Sieveboy said View Post
... conviction needs to be made entered.
PS - FTFY.

Most in the world know or should know that he's a pompous prat, but perhaps you might reflect on the multiple difficulties with -

Quote:
Sieveboy said View Post
... but his church will role {sic} on, the try {sic} guilty party will escape.

In conclusion: FFS - There's no place for an old fashioned witch hunt.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 25th May 2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 25th May 2017, 08:14 PM
Then things got awkward

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
(much good stuff snipped, leading to...)
In conclusion: FFS - There's no place for an old fashioned witch hunt.
Independent Australia Linky

Quote:
Based on the media’s conviction of Pell, he could possibly win a permanent stay of any criminal prosecution, writes John Passant.

THE PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE is taking a battering in the press at the moment. From drug running to paedophilia to tax fraud, mainstream and other media seem to have forgotten an important class lesson — and in doing so threaten one at least possible prosecution.

What is this presumption?

According to the Attorney-General’s Department site:

‘The presumption of innocence imposes on the prosecution the burden of proving the charge and guarantees that no guilt can be presumed until the charge has been proved beyond reasonable doubt.’

The presumption was won after a long struggle against the divine right of kings to rule and to imprison people or execute them without any crime having been committed. It is a subset of the right to a fair trial, itself won over centuries of struggle and papal intervention. A fair trial means citizens (your peers) making judgements based on the evidence.

It is up to the state to prove you guilty of the crime you are charged with and to do so beyond reasonable doubt. Until then, you are presumed innocent and any activity that may taint that presumption could destroy the trial, or even destroy the possibility of a successful prosecution.
More at source - well worth reading in its completeness.

Come and see...

Like DanDare liked this post
Thank DanDare thanked this post