Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 15th November 2017, 04:25 PM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

Default Re: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
Quote:
cyclist said View Post
Just heard Antony Green discussing the pockets of Sydney that heavily voted No. Like Bruce, they're areas with a large number of non-english speaking migrants from areas of the world where LGBTIQ rights aren't recognised at all.

As always, it's disappointing to realise that people think this way, but I recognise that my own views on this area have changed over time, I'd like to think that the longer they stay in Australia, the more their views will come around to what we see as inherently right.
I heard this from Antony Green too. It was ever thus, that immigrant communities bring some of these views with them. They'll learn from this vote, and hopefully the views will change faster than those of immigrants from earlier times. Also, the children of those immigrants will be a whole different story, so they're the ones we can hope to influence.
I'd like to think that once the bill passes parliament, and SSM starts actually happening that it will change opinions quicker. Hopefully, once people realise that same sex couples are just like heterosexual couples and that the world hasn't ended, views will change.
Old 15th November 2017, 10:06 PM
AFA Member

What a fucking day for Australia!!!!!

Marriage equality - check
World Cup of football qualification - check
Adani mine ditched - ....
Old 15th November 2017, 10:50 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

[OT]We're going to Russia!!! [/OT]
Old 15th November 2017, 10:50 PM

I sat in my work ute listening to the result, almost bashing the steering wheel when all the preamble was being read out. As soon as I heard 'the yes vote - 7 million...' I burst into tears. Tears of joy.
The world got a little bit better today.

“There is something infantile in the presumption that somebody else has a responsibility to give your life meaning and point… The truly adult view, by contrast, is that our life is as meaningful, as full and as wonderful as we choose to make it.”
Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Like hackenslash liked this post
Old 15th November 2017, 11:24 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Fie said View Post
I sat in my work ute listening to the result, almost bashing the steering wheel when all the preamble was being read out. As soon as I heard 'the yes vote - 7 million...' I burst into tears. Tears of joy.
The world got a little bit better today.

Very similar experience, in the car, burst into tears. Cried again over going to Russia. What a day. If Australia was a stock, it’s bullish. And while we’re on a roll, let’s sort out a couple of other things.
Old 16th November 2017, 12:05 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
What a fucking day for Australia!!!!!

Adani mine ditched - ....
trying ...

if anyone wants to help, just join one of the QLD elections phone banks. http://action.getup.org.au/upcoming_events.
Old 16th November 2017, 02:07 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I know the vic electorate of Bruce. My brother lives there. High proportion of Asian, especially Chinese, communities. I suspect more traditional conservative beliefs hold sway in these households. The other factor in Bruce is the shockingly large number of churches. Every imaginable variety on offer, or so it seems.
Bruce has the highest proportion of non English speakers in Victoria (52.6%), Calwell has the highest proportion of Muslims and I think Catholics too in Victoria.

The no vote in Victoria definitely appears be driven by religion, as much as the no campaigners try to deny it.

What bothers me is these areas have large minority group populations, they should understand what it is to be judged by the rest of the population and told how to (or not to) live, you think they would realize that, I guess not.*

The same thing bothered me from fellow Jews that were staunchly anti refugees.. Considering Australia's history pre and post WW2, like the response at the Evian conference and quotas post WW2, I always thought they should have known better (the attitude towards other minorities always freaked me out growing up).

* The west African christian lady from Bruce they interviewed on ABS this morning was classic, she complained this was supposed to be a multicultural society so how could this happen (she seemed to think multi cultural meant she could impose her religious beliefs on others and shouldn't be confronted by this sort of thing).

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 16th November 2017, 04:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
joele said View Post
* The west African christian lady from Bruce they interviewed on ABS this morning was classic, she complained this was supposed to be a multicultural society so how could this happen (she seemed to think multi cultural meant she could impose her religious beliefs on others and shouldn't be confronted by this sort of thing).
This doesn't surprise me at all. For the religious multiculturalism has always been that these people are from other countries and cultures, they are now in our country therefore they should follow out culture (where whatever christian denomination they are part of is "our culture")

It's time that it was made clear to the religious that "our culture" is an amalgam of all the cultures in Australia, otherwise they will find themselves more and more sidelined as they become a minority. Not really a bad outcome I guess.
Old 16th November 2017, 05:43 PM
It's good to know when it's time

Hagelslag ready and counting down.

Like odd liked this post
Old 16th November 2017, 06:09 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Here I have been railing against the thing the whole time, and now I think it was worth it. I am sure it is an unintended consequence - but the validation that the majority have your back is something it appears difficult to put a price tag on...

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess