Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 2nd March 2017, 01:17 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Guru convinced 400 men to castrate themselves to be closer to God

Guru convinced 400 men to castrate themselves to be closer to God

Quote:
‘Guru of Bling’ collects testicles for God: An Indian spiritual leader is accused of convincing up to 400 followers to remove their testicles, claiming that by doing so the men would be able to speak directly to God.
Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, known as “The Guru in Bling,” is accused of coercing hundreds of followers to undergo the procedure at a hospital run by his spiritual organization.
India’s Central Bureau of Investigation has reportedly obtained statements from victims, saying the castrations took place at a hospital run by Ram Rahim’s organization.
The Sydney Morning Herald reports officers from India’s elite Central Bureau of Investigation appear to have made a crucial breakthrough in the long-running investigation into the alleged mass castrations, last week gathering important testimony from victims and other witnesses as they prepare charges of grievous bodily harm against Ram Rahim.
Previously a “cone of silence” has surrounded the accusations against the wildly popular guru, who has around 50 million followers worldwide, and is worth an estimated $50 million.
According to reports, most of the victims feared for their lives if they dare spoke out against the figure revered by millions.
What's the harm eh?

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like two dogs, Stubby liked this post
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:02 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Guru convinced 400 men to castrate themselves to be closer to God

Qualifies for a Darwin award!

So god made them, complete with testicles, but to talk to him, you have to remove your testicles! That makes perfect sense!

Humans plus religion equals brains with the intellectual capacity of mashed potato.
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:23 PM
Omu'sata

Religious nutjobs.
Laugh at knowledge is power, Strato laughed at this post
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:28 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Stubby said View Post
Religious nutjobs.
And really sad. Religions make preying on the vulnerable an art form. An evil art.
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:42 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Reminds me of the Heaven's Gate cult, they also practised castration, before killing themselves so their spirits would be carried to an alien spaceship hiding behind a comet. At least the cult leader also chopped his balls off, rather than just demanding it of his followers.
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:15 PM
AFA Member

This really ought to be the subject of PhD enquiries into the actual psychological processes involved.
It is not mere mashed potatoe though possibly evinces an intention to become mashed potatoe.
I am thinking of the notion that everything is impermanent and decaying so why not assist in the process.
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:44 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
This really ought to be the subject of PhD enquiries into the actual psychological processes involved.
It is not mere mashed potatoe though possibly evinces an intention to become mashed potatoe.
I am thinking of the notion that everything is impermanent and decaying so why not assist in the process.
This is already being investigated, if you pull all the work together into a synthesis.

The basic psychological mechanism is already known. All the social animals studied, from bumble bees to humans, put a priority and bias on social information over personal information, most of the time. Even if one has the best genome and expression profile, development is partly subject to stochastic forces. [Fluctuations in environment, basically].

So a good evolutionary rule of thumb is "smooth" data from individuals in a population into a public doctrine or opinion. Because an individual's perception or cognition may be faulty. Of course the Achilles' heel of this evolutionarily stable strategy is that the hive's data may be wrong. Nevertheless this fallacy "the majority has the truth" is right often enough to confer fitness of the group, most of the time. And if the group survives, that helps individual fitness probabilities, even though a few might not be happy campers.

So an individual bee might find the mother-load of nectar, and but be ignored by the hive, or an atheist's voice is drowned out by the deluded. Shit happens.

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 2nd March 2017 at 04:45 PM.
Like Strato liked this post
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:30 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
convincing up to 400 followers to remove their testicles, claiming that by doing so the men would be able to speak directly to God
Apparently god can only be spoken to with a high pitched voice.
Laugh at stylofone laughed at this post
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:07 PM
AFA Member

Default Guru convinced 400 men to castrate themselves to be closer to God

Fundies been cutting their bits off forever
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoptsy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:34 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Mjt said View Post
Fundies been cutting their bits off forever
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoptsy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True that.
How do the gurus get more women, or at least revenge and make others pay for their own celibacy?

1. get them to cut off their genitals or reproductive organs.
2. start wars and send the other young men to fight
3. send them to blow themselves up