Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 11th December 2016, 02:50 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default The Meaning of Life

I present one's statement. I will NOT disclose their identity in the safest and most confidential interests.

Do what you love. Do it for yourself.

Do NOT do what you hate. Do NOT do it for others.

You need to reap rewards from good deeds.

You do NOT want to waste energy from bad deeds.

It's your choice to use all the allegiance, rewards and energy to survive the divine light.

- Anonymous

Last edited by Azurisan21; 11th December 2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11th December 2016, 03:03 PM

Default Re: The Meaning of Life

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I present one's statement. I will NOT disclose their identity in the safest and most confidential interests.

Do what you love. Do it for yourself.

Do NOT do what you hate. Do NOT do it for others.

You need to reap rewards from good deeds.

You do NOT want to waste energy from bad deeds.

It's your choice to use all the allegiance, rewards and energy to survive the divine light.

- H.M.
Internally contradictory. If you're doing it for yourself, then what the bugger has the 'divine light' got to do with it?

What if that which you love is what really peeves the 'divine light'? Really gets its metaphysical goat?

Essentially, this says do what you want, but if you don't get it right, you're going to be hurt by something supernatural.

Also, the message is kind of selfish - only do what you want to do. If you've got friends who need help, but you don't like doing whatever it is that they need help with: don't do it!

One more criticism: the notion of 'wasting energy' is kind of pointless and seems to have a wooism at its heart. If you 'waste energy' you are essentially exercising, which is good for you. You can then just go and eat a doughnut and get refueled.

Bonus complaint: whoever wrote this needs to stop using the imperative, otherwise they have been pre-mocked by Eddy Izzard: don't put a sock in a toaster!
Thank Azurisan21 thanked this post
Old 11th December 2016, 03:17 PM

See my responses in teal.

Note: divine light is synonymous with light that is experienced in the outer space. Usually near-death-experience occurs when the person is deprived of oxygen whilst transitioning from Earth to heaven: this transition usually is experienced as the person is traveling through the clouds. Thus, afterlife is one and the same as living the same life with one such gap of consciousness for the time being.

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
Internally contradictory. If you're doing it for yourself, then what the bugger has the 'divine light' got to do with it?
Anonymous is talking about many cases of near death experiences so they are just using imagination to the point: as many theistic friends say, the divine light is deadly to some people who will perish from it - anonymous does not state divine light as the ultimate goal. Anonymous honestly abhors divine light in this context.

Quote:
What if that which you love is what really peeves the 'divine light'? Really gets its metaphysical goat?
Anonymous does not care about divine light at all. They just want to move on and live forever. This is the process according to evolution: natural selection and the survival of the fittest - using one's advantages.

Quote:
Essentially, this says do what you want, but if you don't get it right, you're going to be hurt by something supernatural.

Also, the message is kind of selfish - only do what you want to do. If you've got friends who need help, but you don't like doing whatever it is that they need help with: don't do it!
So what if someone is selfish! Do you assert that one has to be altruistic? Without understanding friends' needs of good things/deeds, it is as bad as not doing good things for oneself. Empathy is part of the good deeds and is inherently selfish.

Quote:
One more criticism: the notion of 'wasting energy' is kind of pointless and seems to have a wooism at its heart. If you 'waste energy' you are essentially exercising, which is good for you. You can then just go and eat a doughnut and get refueled.
Maybe you didn't read what clause contains the term 'wasting energy' - it is from doing something that one hates for others.

Quote:
Bonus complaint: whoever wrote this needs to stop using the imperative, otherwise they have been pre-mocked by Eddy Izzard: don't put a sock in a toaster!
Anonymous has created the statement with originality. Can you please provide linked sources that are similar enough to dispute their original statement?

Last edited by Azurisan21; 11th December 2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11th December 2016, 03:31 PM

.....the Universe and Everything, is 42.
Old 11th December 2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
MikeJay said View Post
.....the Universe and Everything, is 42.
How is that relevant?
Old 11th December 2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
See my responses in teal.

Note: divine light is synonymous with light that is experienced in the outer space.
Hogwash. Outer space has not been visited by anyone, so it's pure make-believe. Light in outer space is the same fucking light available here.

Quote:
Usually near-death-experience occurs when the person is deprived of oxygen whilst transitioning from Earth to heaven:
Azu, this is a fucking atheist forum ffs. Unless you can show empirical evidence of the existence of heaven, then you can assume that people here don't believe in it, and using it as the basis for an explanation is a non-starter. An explanation shouldn't require more explanation than that which it presumes to explain.

Quote:
this transition usually is experienced as the person is traveling through the clouds. Thus, afterlife is one and the same as living the same life with one such gap of consciousness for the time being.
Rubbish. NDE events are characterized by culturally appropriate visions, usually a tunnel, but more likely black cockerels if you are from South East Asia.

When your brain is starved of oxygen and is starting to die, you don't credit its functions with any decent approximation of the truth - they are the product of a failing meat brain.

Quote:
Anonymous is talking about many cases of near death experiences so they are just using imagination to the point: as many theistic friends say, the divine light is deadly to some people who will perish from it - anonymous does not state divine light as the ultimate goal. Anonymous honestly abhors divine light in this context.

I think you need to just admit its you as you appear to know far too fucking much about what the allegedly anonymous person thinks.

Secondly, you've just regurgitated what I already said. It's proselytizing wankery of the vilest order. I don't give a flying fuck what such theists say - they are disgraces to humanity.

Quote:
Anonymous does not care about divine light at all. They just want to move on and live forever. This is the process according to evolution: natural selection and the survival of the fittest - using one's advantages.
Natural selection and evolution have exactly fuck all to do with living forever. You know very well that people here are exceptionally knowledgeable about evolution, so it's a pretty silly claim to be making - even if it is on 'anonymous' behalf.

Natural selection and evolution put paid to the flatulent notion of life after-death. These notions are purely religious and are bluntly contradicted by reality.

Quote:
So what if someone is selfish! Do you assert that one has to be altruistic? Without understanding friends' needs of good things/deeds, it is as bad as not doing good things for oneself. Empathy is part of the good deeds and is inherently selfish.

I don't assert that anyone need be anything, because I don't do or like preachy-wibble. Instead, I pointed out that the supposedly anonymous author's wibble was selfish.

You need to read what was written rather than topping wibble with extra woo.

Quote:
Maybe you didn't read what clause contains the term 'wasting energy' - it is from doing something that one hates for others.
Yes, nasty little selfish ideology. "Anonymous" needs to learn to share his toys.

Quote:
Anonymous has created the statement with originality. Can you please provide linked sources that are similar enough to dispute their original statement?

Anonymous has crafted the statement from his navel fluff, and when it is shown to be stupid with respect to reality, when it is shown to be onanistic and selfish, then it can be dismissed as such.

I have no need to provide any linked sources: you may consider my response as the primary source, and if you are that desperate, I can cite this thread for you.

Last edited by Spearthrower; 11th December 2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11th December 2016, 04:19 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
How is that relevant?
How is anything relevant? Maybe the links between things we imagine to exist are not real and everything occurs in isolation to everything else, but when enough of them seem to line up we see a causality that doesn't actually exist?
Old 11th December 2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
How is that relevant?
Relevant to what? The topic is wibbly woo.
Old 11th December 2016, 04:37 PM

Default Life

I do what I love. I do it for myself.
I do NOT do what I hate. I do NOT do it for others.
I need to reap rewards from good deeds.
I do NOT want to waste energy from bad deeds.
So, I'm very happy.

- Anonymous
Old 11th December 2016, 04:38 PM

I'm starting new thread

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...322#post576322