Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 31st December 2016, 02:51 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Foreboding gloom, doom, destitution and destruction

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
Quote:
DanDare said View Post
I would like to mention 7 Mountains Dominionism. The ACL here in Australia are an example. This movement has been in the news since at least 2010 and they are world wide.

I doubt that they have climbed the mountains but they are very effective at the propaganda of anti-reason and doing things by sound grab and tweet. When they come up with a new slogan it only takes days for it to appear in the mouths of news reporters around the world.

Do you remember Joe Hockey and how wind power turbines look ugly? That started in Europe the year before. Tropes like this are constantly being churned out by like minded individuals and funnelled through Faux News, on-side politicians, tweets and web sites.

The enemies of reason have the advantage of being able to create false but massively repeated messages that people are just sucking up. We have failed at the task of infecting the general populace with reason skills, perception skills, thinking skills.

Fighting each message is not going to work, its a billion fold Gish-Gallop. We need a different approach.
If you've got any ideas, I'm all ears.
I was so hoping I could just point out the problem as my share of the work effort. Sigh.

Ok, I'm going to do some thinking in real time, and no editing. Nothing I say here is a considered opinion, its just input to the process, some good, some shit, here goes.

Focus:
1) Improving the reasoning skills of the global population.

Directions:
> Targeting and removing systems that purposely diminish those skills
> Laying out reasoning and thinking skills simply so they are easy to understand and pick up.
> Making it safe for people to try and to get it wrong, an essential part of the learning process.
> Make being good at reasoning and thinking skills a social value, a status improver.
> Make sneering and ridiculing a behaviour that reduces social status.

I'll roll a dice to pick a direction: 4 -> Make being good at reasoning and thinking skills a social value, a status improver.

Ways to do that:

* Value labels : create labels for increased or decreased ability and award them to people that consistently apply the techniques of reason and thinking, and a small bonus to those that come up with occasionally excellent results from it.

Random input to provoke further thinking: Roll a dice and pick the noun that appears in that order on a document. Roll 6 -> 6th noun is "game".

* So teach thinking and reasoning skills as a form of game. Playing well is good and gets a reputation for being a "good player".

A game has a series of interlocking rules and data. Analyse the rules and data needed for public reason and thinking, and look at the rules that produce diminished reasoning.
> good - learning to see raw opinion verses well supported opinion. Create a checklist that everyone can use.
> create a "find the omitted information" game for when opinion appears well supported, to see if that appearance is produced by selection bias.
> objectives for "winning" based on doing the process better than anyone else.
> objectives that give points for helping others to do the process better.

That's just off the top of my head. Harvesting I can see that there is a flavour of rewarding good behaviour, and targeting that behaviour to doing the process well rather than achieving the "right" results. There is also a direction of creating "frames" that highlight how well something is being done and attention directing, a process to look at actions and statements to see them from particular "play the game right" perspectives.

Ok, that's a draft start. I'll do some more later. Feel free to add your own thoughts. Don't bother arguing with mine as they are not yet being put forward as proposals to be acted on but as stepping stones for new ideas, so you would be wasting time.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.