Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 27th August 2016, 07:34 PM
AFA Member

Default The City Bible Forum's Athiest Forum

Oh dear, the City Bible Forum is apparently running an atheist forum, if you want to see how badly they can screw that one up have poke around;

https://atheistforum.wordpress.com/

I have just had a browse though the March 2016 debate on "Was Jesus body reburied"

Unfortunately the theist came to a rather startling conclusion, at least for an atheist forum. Without presenting any evidence that the resurrection happened or is even possible he concluded at the end of the debate;

Quote:
Hence we are still left with the historical fact that James recognises of an empty tomb. Given the utter implausibility that the body was reburied, I wonder if James will accept the other alternative to explain the empty tomb?
Quote:
I suggest that reburial is completely implausible. I argue that the resurrection becomes the most reasonable because of the failure of any naturalistic theory to properly account for all the facts.
What? It seems to revolve around the argument that because there is no evidence of a reburial the only possible explanation is a resurrection. So, that's The Bible Forums idea of an Atheist Forum is it? It just seems to revolve around declaring themselves correct by default of not being proven wrong, false dichotomy much?
Old 27th August 2016, 09:32 PM

Default Re: The City Bible Forum's Athiest Forum

Quote:
Harris made the fascinating admission that ‘gun ownership’ to some was like a religion, ‘gun ownership is their central identity’. Harris estimated that there might be around 1 million adherents to this ‘religion’. I agree with Harris’ perspective that gun ownership is like a religion. Interestingly this admission demonstrates that atheism and religion are not binary opposites
Wut?

Non-sequitur

If you say someone has a religion or it's like a religion, it says nothing about their belief in gods.

I fear this guy has too big a platform.
Like Logic please liked this post
Old 28th August 2016, 11:58 AM
Cuss-tard

I looked.

It's not a forum. It's a soapbox. And the author is manifestly mistaken on almost every point.

Mind you, so are some of their debating opponents, if we're to accept their characterisations of the arguments presented.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

@Goldenmane3

Like Logic please liked this post
Old 28th August 2016, 01:48 PM
AFA Member

Yes it seems to be solely a platform designed to represent their views in such a way that it appears the atheists can't refute them, it is simply a strawman of epic proportions, "this is what the atheists think, this is why they are wrong" take that atheists!