Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 25th March 2013, 07:40 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Default Re: Who's smarter than Einstein?

Welcome to the forum Rufus, hope you enjoy your time here. I won't substantively add to existing replies ATM, but do have one question:
Quote:
Rufus said View Post
Is there anyone else out there jaded by arguments for and against God? (my emphasis)
Ummm... if you're jaded, as this quote suggests, why are you here posting arguments about god?
Old 25th March 2013, 07:41 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Default Who's smarter than Einstein?

So you've thrown your lot in with Einstein. Good oh.

Quote:
Einstein said
The word 'God' is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, and religious scripture a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change this.

Old 25th March 2013, 08:28 PM
Raptured!

God does not plait ice.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:49 PM
Sorry Thor, Tesla closed your gap

Quote:
Worldslaziestbusker said View Post
God does not plait ice.
+1 Pun-ishment
Old 26th March 2013, 12:48 PM

Albert Einstein is the earth's symbol for genius. He's number 1 for a reason. Other names put forward wouldn't rate with with most 12 year olds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein
"You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being".
Sure, I can think for myself. Everyone should have this liberty. But let me explain a cliche.
When science looks for rational explanations (Einstein’s “God”) naturally it succeeds. Of course, when science looks for evidence of an irrational universe (Primitive “God”) then, just as naturally, it fails.
Occassionally one sees "God is Love" painted on a wall. Who paints those words?

--am really jaded now.
Old 26th March 2013, 02:28 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Quote:
Rufus said View Post
Albert Einstein is the earth's symbol for genius. He's number 1 for a reason. Other names put forward wouldn't rate with with most 12 year olds.
My truncation. Who made the decision that Einstein was to be earths symbol for genius? Why not Reimann? (1826 -1866) or Isaac Newton? James clerk maxwell ring a bell?

Levels of genius (if such a thing is even measurable) are not a popularity contest.

Last edited by loubert; 26th March 2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Added J.C.maxwell.
Old 26th March 2013, 02:49 PM
Sorry Thor, Tesla closed your gap

Quote:
Rufus said
All this time I was thinking Piccard was no 1 and Bert was no 25, go figure.
A funny bunch of 12 year olds
Old 26th March 2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Ummm... if you're jaded, as this quote suggests, why are you here posting arguments about god?
Something got my goat. I heard some guy promoting his book about the non-existence of God on the grounds that every time we find out there is a natural explanation for a phenomenon previously attributed to God, it weakens the argument for God’s existence. E.g. evolution. This guy is definitely no genius. More like an accountant than a scientist.
By the way, I loved the link to all the geniuses. Great poster shot. A lot of my heroes are there. Lots of atheists too.
Anyways. Let’s say Isaac Newton (believer) was the greatest. Then somebody argues “Richard Feynman was smarter and funnier” (atheist). The point is you show a photograph of Einstein and every 12 old picks him out as the genius guy. That’s because he discovered some really deep laws that got EVERY scientist’s attention. The word spread to non-scientists. Einstein is code for genius. End of story.
Now suppose you’re a 12 year old kid trying to work out the meaning of existence. You wonder what the most famous scientist of the 20th Century thought about it. You find out he thought about "God" a lot. Also, it turns out he is in awe of the mystery of existence, and describes this feeling as religious. But then you find out his idea of “religion” doesn’t necessarily include a personal god. And then he admits he doesn’t really know. Paradoxically, perhaps, he questions the integrity of “professional atheists” and accuses them of immaturity or lacking in imagination or humility, to paraphrase from his various quotations. Wow. So you wonder if God can be defined as the undefinable. Or as “existence” itself. I think this is a very honest approach.
If we didn’t have religious extremism maybe we wouldn’t need atheism, which seems to be the other end of extremism. It works like parliament: lots of robust argument and sometimes war! But if you take the middle ground and admit we cannot ultimately know God- or if there is no God- it creates a better atmosphere for compromise, peace and equality. Amen.
But what do I know? I’m no Einstein.
Old 26th March 2013, 10:07 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Rufus said View Post
So you wonder if God can be defined as the undefinable. Or as “existence” itself. I think this is a very honest approach.

1) Complete an utter drivel, but that is just my opinion, don't let it upset you.

Quote:
If we didn’t have religious extremism maybe we wouldn’t need atheism, which seems to be the other end of extremism.
2) someone else who doesn't, or refuses to understand, what atheism is. Atheism is the opposite of theism, it has nothing to do with religion, extremism or anything. It's like saying if we didn't have white maybe we wouldn't need black, the two opposites exists regardless of anything else, belief in god, disbelief in god, thats all.

Quote:
It works like parliament: lots of robust argument and sometimes war! But if you take the middle ground and admit we cannot ultimately know God- or if there is no God- it creates a better atmosphere for compromise, peace and equality. Amen.
Sorry but no, it's not like parliament at all, the defining substance of religions is that they are right and everyone else is wrong, and they will never compromise on that, its what atheists learnt many years ago, you compromise, you eventually burn. Once you let them have their way a little bit they just keep pushing for more and more and more until we have the inquisitions and witch burnings all over again.

Quote:
But what do I know? I’m no Einstein.

Finally, something we can agree on :-)

Last edited by stevebrooks; 26th March 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 26th March 2013, 10:27 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

End of story? Have you even looked at what some of the other scientists that have been mentioned, developed and postulated?

Again, how is popularity an argument for genius?