Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 3rd July 2016, 03:44 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: The Unfounded Certainty of Kimsland

Welcome back, it is up to the mods as to when your rusty colour is changed, but yes I think that the probability of any of the proposed gods that I have heard of are in the same probability zone as the FSM, but to maintain an open mind it never quite reaches zero.
PS I doubt that this thread will be deleted as that does not happen here.
Old 3rd July 2016, 04:34 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Thank you bruce1937 and 142857, with slightly different answers.
The 'zero' I speak of is with probability, quite obviously anything is possible. Maybe you are all part of my dreamlike state and only I exist But I think the probability of that is zero as well.
Old 3rd July 2016, 05:29 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
kimsland said View Post
Thank you bruce1937 and 142857, with slightly different answers.
The 'zero' I speak of is with probability, quite obviously anything is possible. Maybe you are all part of my dreamlike state and only I exist But I think the probability of that is zero as well.
Scenario as popularized in "The Matrix" movie, the "Brain In The Vat" problem. We could be fooled though, if the simulation was perfect enough. Of course, in the movie, Neo noticed the sim was not quite perfect, and aided by Morpheus, Trinity and the blue pill [or was it the red one, I forget], Neo emerges into reality.
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:28 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

I find that logic and reason require me to sate that god is not shown to be non-existant. However I see no evidence leading to the conclusion there is one. I act as though there is not one and feel confident in doing so.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 5th July 2016, 08:24 PM
Buffoon

As I've said elsewhere, I'm an agnostic atheist in respect of belief in deities in general. I don't believe in them but don't know with 100% certainty if out there in the universe, is a race of sufficiently advanced lifeforms that we were to meet them, consideration of them as deities might be applicable. However, even if a species exists out there that could be considered a "deity level" entity, there's no evidence to suggest any such beings have visited earth or had any influence on my life. There's no evidence to suggest any such creatures exist at all so, I feel quite secure in my non-belief.

I'm a gnostic atheist in respect of specific deities worshipped by various religions, simply because the claims regarding the actions of the deities have all been falsified and the actual deities themselves lack any sort of coherent, consistent, logical description. The sort of nonsense you'd expect when someone was just making shit up.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain
Like wolty liked this post
Old 5th July 2016, 08:38 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
kimsland said View Post
Although you have asked I become more active in this community to remove the title bestowed upon me by a Moderator or Admin here. I would prefer you ask me specific questions that I can answer. I have become extremely confident in the knowledge I have these days and debated theists (elsewhere) most every day. I am also an active member of many atheist and agnostics sites. I have personal interests on equality, humanity, knowledge (including the Bible and Qur'an), ethics and society morals, and of course science. None of these define my atheist understanding though, that I do not hold any unfounded belief in a god(s).

This very forum and others similar (in my view) 'atheistfoundation.org' was created for the benefit of 1. Giving respect and open public interest in this area 2. For the development and increasing and furthering our knowledge in this area. Obviously there are many other social benefits and guides.
I therefore submit to you I am with the second notion and have learned over time to become a mature responsible person who respects knowledge and reason. Just as you may find with (as an example) theists becoming atheists.

Therefore, I again ask you move me from this title and subforum, I'd even respect full deletion of my own topic here. I look forward to any questions that I feel most comfortable in answering (if I'm able to) to give you more understanding of my now position, far from when I first posted here.
Moderators have had a discussion about this and feel continued involvement in good faith from you will result in your ability to post again in the general forum.

One post (or a couple) does not a cake make. Keep at it.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Logic please, DanDare liked this post
Thank Logic please thanked this post
Old 5th July 2016, 08:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Sendraks said View Post
However, even if a species exists out there that could be considered a "deity level" entity, there's no evidence to suggest any such beings have visited earth or had any influence on my life.
You are of course familiar with Clarke's Third Law, that probably doesn't need saying, the same applies here. Just because a sufficiently advanced being that is indistinguishable from some definitions of god exists, that doesn't mean gods exist.
Old 5th July 2016, 09:24 PM
Buffoon

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
You are of course familiar with Clarke's Third Law, that probably doesn't need saying, the same applies here. Just because a sufficiently advanced being that is indistinguishable from some definitions of god exists, that doesn't mean gods exist.
Indeed, that is something I have very much in mind.

The question is one with an unknowable answer in respect to the existence of a specific class of entities. It isn't something that gives me any cause for doubt or worry because, speculation on the existence of things without evidence, is pointless.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain