Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Environment and Conservation

Environment and Conservation Issues facing the natural world

Old 18th April 2017, 05:42 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Adani's Coal Extraction Nightmare

From what I have managed to gather, mining in 2015-16 financial year contributed 7% to Australia's GDP, agriculture 2%. If those figures are wrong I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide a link because I've had trouble finding a definitive and trust worthy source for this data, which strikes me as either strange or just poor internet research skills on my behalf.

Anyhow, 7% is a pretty big slice of pie but...well, it's not that big! Factor in the environmental cost of mining and I wonder to myself...why the fuck are we even still doing it? We need to slowly phase the industry into obselescence don't we? It's not that vital. We living on one of the sunniest continents on the planet, don't you think we could maybe take the lead in solar technology? It just makes no sense.
Old 18th April 2017, 05:45 PM
AFA Member

Shorten is against the government subsidy for this project but as far as I know he isn't against the project in principle, that may have changed though, hopefully it has. My vote will end up with the party that opposes the adani project.
Old 18th April 2017, 06:04 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
From what I have managed to gather, mining in 2015-16 financial year contributed 7% to Australia's GDP, agriculture 2%.
interesting. do you have source?

I recently listened to an ABC newsradio show and they said it was now equal.
Old 18th April 2017, 06:14 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other

Adani is not just another coalmine, it is a turning point for the nation
Laugh at pipbarber laughed at this post
Old 18th April 2017, 06:27 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Stub King said View Post

Since we don't have an economy, I don't think that matters. Sydney house prices and selling wool then. Diversity! Yay!
Old 18th April 2017, 06:42 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Stub King said View Post

Quote:
The mining sector currently contributes around 8.5% to Australia’s GDP (total output), and employs around 2% of the workforce (about 220,000 people).
However, as with most primary products, this underestimates the impact of the mining sector. Downstream processing sometimes means that production is not counted as mining output, and is instead counted as manufacturing. There’s been a lot of discussion about taxes – but for 2013-14 financial year, the mining sector paid about $12.7 billion in taxes (which includes just $170 million from the now defunct carbon tax), and another $10 billion in royalties as payment for the minerals (to state governments).
The mining sector’s biggest impact is on exports - in recent years it has made up over 50% of Australia’s total export earnings. The effect of the mining boom on exports has been huge – for example, between 2000 and 2010, the value of exports from mining rose by over 120%, from $63 billion to $139 billion.
This analysis is from https://theconversation.com/australi...y-mining-40701

The links in the article take you to 2014 data from the abs but to be honest i find the wall of excel data confusing to confirm one way or the other.

To confess again, i based that above post on this article (i think) but i'm very open to being corrected here.

As DB has referred to several times, in regard to value adding, i guess the mining industry might claim value added wealth generation on the basis of 'downstream processing'. As for the difference between GDP contribution and federal income from royalties and exports... i'm getting a bit out of my depth here in terms of economics but i'd welcome instruction on these matters. Are they double dipping to elevate their contribution?
Old 18th April 2017, 06:49 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other

Adani is not just another coalmine, it is a turning point for the nation
Sorry, didnt mean to hit the laugh imoji, meant to hit the like. It's a good article you linked. Not funny.
Old 18th April 2017, 07:26 PM
AFA Member

So has the government given the green light to this mine? I saw Malcolm falling over himself to kiss the arse of the Adani boss in India recently, it was pathetic.
Old 18th April 2017, 08:44 PM
AFA Member

Government, federal and state, has given the go ahead. However, there are still legal hurdles to be straddled. For example, its not clear that a public loan can be made to a company currently under criminal investigation. But this is complicated by the investigation taking place off shore. There are also legal challenges related to existing environmental law, i think. Of course, the longer it can be delayed the better and the hotter the issue will become as we approach an election.
Old 18th April 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Government, federal and state, has given the go ahead. However, there are still legal hurdles to be straddled. For example, its not clear that a public loan can be made to a company currently under criminal investigation. But this is complicated by the investigation taking place off shore. There are also legal challenges related to existing environmental law, i think. Of course, the longer it can be delayed the better and the hotter the issue will become as we approach an election.
actually the govt could not say for sure which Adani entity would get the load.