Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 20th January 2018, 05:10 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Royal Commission into child abuse announced

Not exactly the right spot but provides an insight into what we're up against.

Quote:
Pope Francis accuses Chilean church sexual abuse victims of slander

Pope Francis has accused victims of Chile’s most notorious paedophile of slander, in an astonishing end to a visit meant to help heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal that has cost the Catholic church its credibility in the country.

Francis said that until he sees proof that Bishop Juan Barros was complicit in covering up the sex crimes of the Rev Fernando Karadima, such accusations against Barros are “all calumny”.

The pope’s remarks drew shock from Chileans and immediate rebuke from victims and their advocates. They noted the accusers were deemed credible enough by the Vatican that it sentenced Karadima to a lifetime of “penance and prayer” for his crimes in 2011.

A Chilean judge also found the victims to be credible, saying that while she had to drop criminal charges against Karadima because too much time had passed, proof of his crimes was not lacking.

“As if I could have taken a selfie or a photo while Karadima abused me and others and Juan Barros stood by watching it all,” tweeted Barros’s most vocal accuser, Juan Carlos Cruz. “These people are truly crazy, and the pontiff talks about atonement to the victims. Nothing has changed, and his plea for forgiveness is empty.”
More at source, TheGuardian.

The old man just really doesn't get it, does he?

I suspect nothing will significantly change until we get a pope who is a teenager today and goes into the trade aware of the illegalities and evils of abuse. So, maybe by 2060, we might see the RCC make some adjustments?
Old 20th January 2018, 05:55 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post

I suspect nothing will significantly change until we get a pope who is a teenager today and goes into the trade aware of the illegalities and evils of abuse. So, maybe by 2060, we might see the RCC make some adjustments?
Or perhaps not. The Pope has to wear many "hats", and "spiritual leader" of the RC's is only one of those hats. He is also the boss of a huge transnational corporation, so even a future Pope "get-it" he may still feel obliged to toe the party line of his followers and Bishops to preserve the Catholic "State" /"corporation". It would not be the first time [or the last] that the mighty dollar trumps ethics. It would not be the first time a reformer gets the top job, only to find most of the imagined or wished reform program gets checkmated by others in the organisation. A lot of Obama fans thought it would be a new age of reform, but most of Obama's program was checkmated by a hostile Republican-controlled Senate, and the remaining stuff is being dismantled by the new President.
Old 21st January 2018, 11:19 AM
Endorses the use of condoms with eyeholes.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post

Quote:
Pope Francis accuses Chilean church sexual abuse victims of slander

Pope Francis has accused victims of Chile’s most notorious paedophile of slander, in an astonishing end to a visit meant to help heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal that has cost the Catholic church its credibility in the country.

Francis said that until he sees proof that Bishop Juan Barros was complicit in covering up the sex crimes of the Rev Fernando Karadima, such accusations against Barros are “all calumny”.

The pope’s remarks drew shock from Chileans and immediate rebuke from victims and their advocates. They noted the accusers were deemed credible enough by the Vatican that it sentenced Karadima to a lifetime of “penance and prayer” for his crimes in 2011.

A Chilean judge also found the victims to be credible, saying that while she had to drop criminal charges against Karadima because too much time had passed, proof of his crimes was not lacking.

“As if I could have taken a selfie or a photo while Karadima abused me and others and Juan Barros stood by watching it all,” tweeted Barros’s most vocal accuser, Juan Carlos Cruz. “These people are truly crazy, and the pontiff talks about atonement to the victims. Nothing has changed, and his plea for forgiveness is empty.”

Popey's Cardinal-in-charge-of-sex-abuse-stuff disagrees strongly:

Quote:
LIMA, Peru (AP) — Pope Francis' top adviser on clerical sex abuse implicitly rebuked the pontiff for having accused Chilean victims of slander, saying Saturday that his words were "a source of great pain for survivors of sexual abuse."

Cardinal Sean O'Malley, the archbishop of Boston, said he couldn't explain why Francis "chose the particular words he used." He said such expressions had the effect of abandoning victims and relegating them to "discredited exile."

In an extraordinary effort at damage control, O'Malley insisted in a statement that Francis "fully recognizes the egregious failures of the church and its clergy who abused children and the devastating impact those crimes have had on survivors and their loved ones."
Quote:
O'Malley's carefully worded critique was remarkable since it is rare for a cardinal to publicly rebuke the pope in such terms. But Francis' remarks were so potentially toxic to the Vatican's yearslong effort to turn the tide on decades of clerical sex abuse and cover-up that he clearly felt he had to respond.

O'Malley headed Francis' much-touted committee for the protection of minors until it lapsed last month after its initial three-year mandate expired. Francis has not named new members, and the committee's future remains unclear.
So, mixed messages, but deeds speak loudly. My bolding.

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole.
If you run into assholes all day, maybe you're the asshole." - Raylan Givens

Old 21st January 2018, 05:22 PM

Well, as an atheist I must say I derived a strong sense of satisfaction from that news report. If the Catholic Church keeps shooting itself in the foot like this their decline and eventual extinction will be greatly hastened.

For the same reason I was pleased with the reign of the previous Pope who, with his ultra-conservative views and obdurate refusal to compromise on any issues, placed the Church's relevance in modern life into a downward spiral. Not only did he alienate a lot of people but, because he lives so long, he was able to stack the Church's hierarchy with like-minded people thus ensuring the continuation of stagnation long after his demise.

Eventually, surely, educated people will wake up, look at these outrageous beliefs and say "what the %#@* was I thinking to swallow that?