Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 4th February 2017, 11:32 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Does Aung San Suu Kyi condone genocide?

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
As i said previously it is not a battle about support for genocide, it is a battle about whether genocide, and ethnic cleansing, is going on.
That's simply an untrue statement.

Please provide some evidence from this thread that anyone has contested the fact of the vicious events in Myanmar.

Please provide some form of support for this notion that it is what I or anyone else here is contesting.

This is not the issue being discussed here. The issue being discussed here is what has pushed this serious problem back to sit behind the conspiracy theorizing and smears.

I've quite clearly pointed this out since the first page.

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I criticised ASSK correctly in what was made into the OP for criticising these claims as fabricated and fake news.
I would like to be clear what you are saying here, Wadaye. Are you saying that myself or anyone else here has claimed that the genocides are fake news? Or are you saying that Aung San Suu Kyi has said that the events are fake news? Note, if you mean the latter, you have personally cited sources which directly contradict that assertion.

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I have even posted a video where she mocks the claims as fabrications and asks people to act as internet trolls to repeat that its all fabricated.
No, you didn't. You don't know any of the content of what you posted - you made up some story to pretend your word is authority when you can't establish it as true. I think it would be nice if you acknowledged that, admitted that it is a single source which isn't corroborated in any other news papers around the world, and which is basically some guy's claim on YT about a language you don't understand.

You also need to explain why the hundreds of people all laughed. Do you imagine they all think genocide is a funny topic? If not, then perhaps you have misunderstood the content or the context. Perhaps you are the one believing in fake news. Any which way, what you posted is not something you can keep leaning on. It's not a coherent source as no one here can independently verify it.

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Your own position is inconsistent. You say there is ethnic cleansing going on, but support a woman who mocks such assertions.
No, I don't support her at all. You are wholly mistaken and repeating a mistake you have been corrected on several times. There's that pattern again.

What I have been doing, and it's something I have spelled out quite clearly, and it's also something others have made quite clear to you is criticizing your repeated smears, insinuations, and personal attacks that are ignorant of the political situation in Myanmar and which are fabricated wholesale from selective quoting, your stonewalling of more reasoned explanations, and your disingenuous spin.

There's nothing inconsistent about acknowledging reality while denying manufactured bullshit. In fact, that's wholly consistent.

Last edited by Spearthrower; 4th February 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Like DanDare liked this post
Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 4th February 2017, 05:12 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I criticised ASSK correctly in what was made into the OP for criticising these claims as fabricated and fake news.
I would like to be clear what you are saying here, Wadaye. Are you saying that myself or anyone else here has claimed that the genocides are fake news?
Did I say that? Emphatically not.
Quote:
Or are you saying that Aung San Suu Kyi has said that the events are fake news? Note, if you mean the latter, you have personally cited sources which directly contradict that assertion.
Many people say contradictory things, including most definitely ASSK. Consider the video I posted with her comments about Rohingya's claims to citizenship having to be tested against the laws of the country, where she used the now unutterable term.

As I previously mentioned that's no different than a Nazi government official in the 1930s saying that Jewish people in Germany (not of course using the phrase German Jews) would have to have their claims to citizenship determined according to the (Nuremberg) laws of the country.
She also said in the 2013 video that there would have to be a brave examination of whether those laws were fair. We have heard not a mouse whimper about whether the laws are fair, instead she chose to define the problem out of existence by denying the existence of the Rohingya as a group, as demanded by the Ma Ba Tha.

Further, she in the video, and as reported in the article in The Independent in Singapore, has denied the claims of genocide as fabrication, to be countered. That is to say she is a partisan in the information over contested facts, and has entered this information war on the side of the military.
The facts of the abuse of the civilians in the trophy video was an uncontestable fact and it is not surprising that there would be a call for punishment. But that is ignoring the systematic ethnic cleansing, crimes against humanity, and genocide, over decades, and reducing the incident to a few rotten apples committing individual crimes. In short, the call for punishment in the particular case is scapegoating to avoid the larger issue. As I pointed out previously it is no different than the white house calling for the perpetrators in trophy photos and videos at Abu Ghraib to be punished, but ignoring the fact that it demanded the torture in the first place.
Old 4th February 2017, 06:43 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
As i said previously it is not a battle about support for genocide, it is a battle about whether genocide, and ethnic cleansing, is going on.
That's simply an untrue statement.

Please provide some evidence from this thread that anyone has contested the fact of the vicious events in Myanmar.

Please provide some form of support for this notion that it is what I or anyone else here is contesting.

This is not the issue being discussed here. The issue being discussed here is what has pushed this serious problem back to sit behind the conspiracy theorizing and smears.

I've quite clearly pointed this out since the first page.

I wasn't talking about you. For goodness sake.
I was talking about the claims made by the Myanmar government and from the video ASSK specifically that there is no such genocide occuring.

Old 4th February 2017, 06:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I have even posted a video where she mocks the claims as fabrications and asks people to act as internet trolls to repeat that its all fabricated.
No, you didn't. You don't know any of the content of what you posted - you made up some story to pretend your word is authority when you can't establish it as true. I think it would be nice if you acknowledged that, ...
Its not worth replying to claims of prescience
Old 4th February 2017, 11:53 PM

Maybe the question should be whether Islamic Republics should be designated as the primary countries that take in Islamic refugees?
And then also whether predominantly Chrsitian countries should absorb Christian refugees?

And then who takes in bah'h (sp?), Zen, atheist, etc refugees?... Or should they go to Sweden, Denmark, etc?

Does Myanmar have a constitutional law requiring acceptance of non Buddhist religion?
And should they be required to accept other religious groups in forming or maintaining a predominantly buddhist country?
Or are they a sovereign nation to determine their own future?

Either way it is probably not morally reasonable for them to thin out the non-Buddhists of their country.
Old 4th February 2017, 11:55 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Did I say that? Emphatically not.
Well, it's a question because it's not clear what your question meant.

Perhaps you could explain again?

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Many people say contradictory things, including most definitely ASSK. Consider the video I posted with her comments about Rohingya's claims to citizenship having to be tested against the laws of the country, where she used the now unutterable term.

As I previously mentioned that's no different than a Nazi government official in the 1930s saying that Jewish people in Germany (not of course using the phrase German Jews) would have to have their claims to citizenship determined according to the (Nuremberg) laws of the country.
She also said in the 2013 video that there would have to be a brave examination of whether those laws were fair. We have heard not a mouse whimper about whether the laws are fair, instead she chose to define the problem out of existence by denying the existence of the Rohingya as a group, as demanded by the Ma Ba Tha.

Further, she in the video, and as reported in the article in The Independent in Singapore, has denied the claims of genocide as fabrication, to be countered. That is to say she is a partisan in the information over contested facts, and has entered this information war on the side of the military.
The facts of the abuse of the civilians in the trophy video was an uncontestable fact and it is not surprising that there would be a call for punishment. But that is ignoring the systematic ethnic cleansing, crimes against humanity, and genocide, over decades, and reducing the incident to a few rotten apples committing individual crimes. In short, the call for punishment in the particular case is scapegoating to avoid the larger issue. As I pointed out previously it is no different than the white house calling for the perpetrators in trophy photos and videos at Abu Ghraib to be punished, but ignoring the fact that it demanded the torture in the first place.

You cannot stop yourself, can you? You think that repeating previous bullshit assertions is restating your case. You refuse to acknowledge the posts which contended this when you originally asserted it. If you're just going to repeat your mistakes from here on out, do let me know as I will leave you to wallow again until you write something so absurd that it needs to be challenged.
Old 4th February 2017, 11:57 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I wasn't talking about you. For goodness sake.
I was talking about the claims made by the Myanmar government and from the video ASSK specifically that there is no such genocide occuring.

Then you are, once again, twisting the truth far beyond recognition. You personally have cited sources where Aung San Suu Kyi does exactly the opposite, saying for example that the perpetrators will be punished.

You need a blog where you can rant, Wadaye. Because here, you're doing the ranting, but you're not filling in the blanks you're leaving in that rantings wake.
Old 5th February 2017, 12:03 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Its not worth replying to claims of prescience
Yet a) you replied and b)there was nothing relevant to prescience.

You cited a video in a language you don't understand simply because it had a title that conformed to your position. You went looking for something to support your contentions, then didn't do so much as an elementary level of fact-checking before presenting it as fait accompli. You have since then doubled-down on it several times, reciting your post as if you've established a point about the topic. Actually, Wadaye, it establishes a point about your methodology - this thread is polemic, not rational or evidence-based statements about reality. You are showing complete disrespect to this forum and to the members who have bothered to engage you by employing the methodology of theists who come here with their pet notions they think we have to obey.

Try being a little more equivocal, a little less certain, a little more open to the points made by others which contradict your ideas.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 5th February 2017, 12:14 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Holmz said View Post
Does Myanmar have a constitutional law requiring acceptance of non Buddhist religion?
Not really. It's basically the same as Thailand's in this regard. It 'recognises' Buddhism as having a special position in the country's workings due to the majority of citizens being members of that faith.

https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu...ority-religion

As another bit of vaguely relevant information, although comprised mostly of data from 10 years ago:

According to official statistics, Myanmar has a population of 54 million. Around 89.3 percent (roughly 48 million) of the population practice Theravada Buddhism, 5.6 percent practice Christianity (1.65m Baptists, 550,000 Roman Catholic), 3.8 percent (2.2 million) practice Islam, 0.5% (550,000) Hinduism. 0,2% Animism and some small fraction Vajrayana Buddhism.

Source: Ministry of Information, Union of Myanmar.
Old 5th February 2017, 01:22 AM
AFA Member

By all means if anyone else feels disrespected please say so.