Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 23rd December 2016, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Duterte

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Probably the police killed him, oh maybe not directly but using a group of civilian maybe, but it's very up there in the probability stakes.
The police would most likely do their own killing. There is much less that can go wrong that way.

Also no competent civilian criminal in their right mind would carry out a killing on behalf of the police. Police in the Philippines don't leave witnesses.

Last edited by 142857; 23rd December 2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
142857 said View Post
The police would most likely do their own killing. There is much less that can go wrong that way.

Also no competent civilian criminal in their right mind would carry out a killing on behalf of the police. Police in the Philippines don't leave witnesses.
The people who kill for the police aren't competent and experienced criminals though, I think they had an interview with one who used to work in Davao, and he said that once you get involved you can't stop or the police kill you, or put you on the kill list and send another group after you.

But yes in the end it all comes down to the police and/or higher authorities, the system was corrupt to start with, you want to fix it you deal with corruption starting at the top and working down, otherwise all you do is enable more corruption. Duterte was probably the worse thing that could happen to the Philippines, he has far less control over some things than he thinks he does, and to much control over things that can get innocent people murdered.
Old 23rd December 2016, 08:52 PM
AFA Member

I was watching Al Jazeera this morning about the start of the Boko Haram insurgency. Dangerous as the islamist rhetoric was, the military had no right to murder cyclists for not wearing helmets and then executing a thousand people in the streets after making them lie down one by one for execution. They killed many children. The vast majority not even involved with Boko Haram. Then there was a war.
Old 24th December 2016, 01:18 AM
What Me Deluded?

Duterte has no call to answer to the moral authority of America now. He is case-hardened in his defiance and malice toward Obama, no doubt knowing he the man is being supplanted by Trump who congratulates Duterte for making executive decisions, for being a despot. Trump admires an action man, the decisive autocrat.

Duterte is so implicated in murder, confirmed in the criminal mentality, he can't turn around. He doesn't do introspection, just like Putin. You have to keep ramping it up. Now it's gambling and you're right, the purge won't stop there.

It never will. It can't.

Catholicism keeps the Philippine people impoverished. They have huge families. Recall...

Aljazeera. 29 October 2016
Rodrigo Duterte vows to abstain from cursing others

Philippines president, known for excessive use of profanity in public, says God ordered him to stop spewing expletives.

Quote:
President Rodrigo Duterte has gained a reputation for foul language when denouncing others [Reuters]

Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte, whose use of profanity has become his trademark, says he will stop cursing altogether after receiving a direct order from God.

Duterte, who has at separate times called Pope Francis and US President Barack Obama "sons of bitches", has vowed he will not spew expletives again.
The president made the pledge upon arrival in his southern hometown of Davao city late on Thursday from a trip to Japan.

He claimed on the flight while*he was looking at the sky and everyone was sound asleep, he heard a voice that said - "If you don't stop epithets, I will bring this plane down now."

READ MORE: Duterte tells Obama to 'go to hell'

"And I said, 'Who is this?' So, of course, 'It's God'," said Duterte.

"So, I promise God to ... not express slang, cuss words and everything. So you guys hear me right always because [a] promise to God is a promise to the Filipino people."

Duterte's vow was met with applause, but he cautioned: "Don't clap too much or else this may get derailed."

He has repeatedly levelled profane tirades against Obama, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, a few outspoken opposition politicians and human rights advocates, while heaping praise on Chinese and Russian leaders.
Duterte has also repeatedly used profanities while threatening to kill drug dealers as part of his war on illegal drugs that has left thousands dead since he took office at the end of June.

*Rodrigo Duterte interview: Death, drugs and diplomacy*

There were no expletives in his Thursday speech, but Duterte still sounded mean towards critics.

When asked for his message to a Filipino beauty queen who won the recent Miss International pageant, Duterte said he was proud. "Many Filipinas are beautiful, but all of you there in the human rights commission are ugly."
However, asked if the days of his cursing the United States and the European Union are over, Duterte did not give a clear answer.

"I do not want anybody reading my mind because I couldn't make a smart move any more. But it's all calibrated - it's all about timing," Duterte said.
He shocked the dominant Roman Catholics in the country last year when he fired an expletive while expressing his disgust over a major traffic jam that trapped him while Pope Francis was visiting Manila.
"I wanted to call - 'Pope, you son of a bitch, go home. Don't visit here any more,'" he told a group of supporters.

READ MORE: Duterte unleashes more profanity at the EU

He later apologised after Filipino bishops expressed shock and outrage.

It is not certain if the 71-year-old president, who has been compared to US Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump because of his brash language, can keep his promise.

Duterte made a similar pledge in June when it became evident that he had won the May 9 presidential election overwhelmingly on a pledge to end crime, especially illegal drugs, and corruption.

He said then he was enjoying his last moments as a "rude person" because "when I become president, when I take my oath of office ... that will be a different story. There will be a metamorphosis".

But it didn't take long for Duterte to break that promise.

Last edited by Strato; 24th December 2016 at 01:20 AM. Reason: site
Old 30th December 2016, 12:21 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Duterte is so implicated in murder, confirmed in the criminal mentality, he can't turn around. He doesn't do introspection, just like Putin. You have to keep ramping it up. Now it's gambling and you're right, the purge won't stop there.

It never will. It can't.
And the stories just keep coming;

Quote:
Philippines Duterte: I threw suspect from helicopter
My highlighting, note the use of the word "suspect." So a potentially innocent person who can now never be investigated because no doubt there are no records. And of course the usual about face the same day, probably after being advised it was a bad thing he was saying!
Quote:

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has threatened to throw corrupt officials from helicopters mid-air, saying he has done it before.

"If you are corrupt, I will fetch you using a helicopter to Manila and I will throw you out," said Mr Duterte, who is waging war on corruption and drugs.

It's the latest claim by the president that he has personally carried out extra-judicial killings.
This is, of course, startlingly similar to the behaviour of criminal organisations like the mafia, why am I not surprised?

Quote:
His spokesman played down the remarks, which he described as "urban legend".

Earlier this month another spokesman Martin Andanar said his blunt-speaking boss should be taken "seriously but not literally" when he said he had shot dead three men while mayor of Davao.
So, can anyone enlighten me? Seriously but not literally?

Quote:
He threatened the helicopter punishment for anyone who might steal the financial aid he was promising.

"I have done this before, why would I not do it again?" he said to applause.
He suggested his victim or victims were kidnappers who had murdered a hostage.

It is not clear when or where the incident took place.
Doesn't matter what crime he thought they committed, they were still just "suspects". He is placing himself in a position above the law and judges, that's a bad place to let people go.

and then he denied it, sort of!

Quote:
"Helicopter to throw a person? And if that is true, I will not admit it," he said in an interview with ABS-CBN news.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38456419
Old 30th December 2016, 09:33 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:
Strato said View Post

It never will. It can't.
And the stories just keep coming;

My highlighting, note the use of the word "suspect." So a potentially innocent person who can now never be investigated because no doubt there are no records. And of course the usual about face the same day, probably after being advised it was a bad thing he was saying!

This is, of course, startlingly similar to the behaviour of criminal organisations like the mafia, why am I not surprised?

So, can anyone enlighten me? Seriously but not literally?

Doesn't matter what crime he thought they committed, they were still just "suspects". He is placing himself in a position above the law and judges, that's a bad place to let people go.

and then he denied it, sort of!

Quote:
"Helicopter to throw a person? And if that is true, I will not admit it," he said in an interview with ABS-CBN news.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38456419
Trump will definitely be taking lessons from this guy
Old 7th January 2017, 12:04 AM
AFA Member

If he's just playing macho, it will backfire because he'll look like a jumped up tool, but if he's serious, then he's a criminal who deserves to be tried. Either way, it's an indictment on the intelligence of the people of the Philippines to elect this fuckwit.
Like two dogs liked this post
Old 14th January 2017, 10:44 PM
AFA Member

So continuing my survey with expat Philipinos in Australia my second responder said first that he is cool but a little bit crazy.
I said yes its not good to murder people and she agreed. She said he has inproved the economy but that if it is a choice between human life and the economy human life should prevail
Old 14th January 2017, 11:17 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
So continuing my survey with expat Philipinos in Australia my second responder said first that he is cool but a little bit crazy.
I said yes its not good to murder people and she agreed. She said he has inproved the economy but that if it is a choice between human life and the economy human life should prevail
Well, there's a positive in there somewhere, right?

Has he actually improved the economy?
Old 15th January 2017, 11:07 AM
Enough words.

I read the other day that Duterte wants to reintroduce the death penalty.
Considering the way he's already dealing with criminals and suspects, he already has it, albeit unofficially.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.