Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 12th October 2016, 06:24 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: Duterte

Power corrupts. Duterte's gleeful flouting of the right to life AND the rule of law makes him another one of the thugs who have brought such trouble to the Philippines. He's said it so many times, how can we be so misled by the media? It sounds like a Donald Trump style absurdity to me.

It was said of Suharto in Indonesia, and Mubarak in Egypt, even Saddam in Iraq that their strongman rule brought stability, made things better. Duterte quacks like a duck, looks like a duck....
Like pipbarber, DanDare liked this post
Old 12th October 2016, 06:31 PM
AFA Member

The other issue is presenting a strong evidence based case that the various social, economic and political problems of the Philippines are due to drug users. I'd like to hear your case for that Noah.
Old 12th October 2016, 09:38 PM
AFA Member

Duterte is what we get with the war on drugs. Anybody who will ride the back of a promise to kill drug users is drinking human blood. He's eating human flesh in more than a metaphorical way.

Let me put this another way. If Duterte called for the flesh of drug users to be brought to him for eating, everybody would be upset. But he makes a call to feed their flesh to the fish and a large portion of the electorate adores him. Duterte is far worse than Trump.
Old 13th October 2016, 01:58 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Noah53 said View Post
:a mix of half truths, misinterpretations and yes there are some grave issues that need to be met
No, I dealt with one statement he made, widely reported in the news and reiterated by himself several times. Are you saying the words he said as reported in international news sites weren't actually said by him?

Final solutions are rarely final, and even more rarely solutions. Duterte could go out and kill every single drug runner, seller and user in the Phillipines and retire satisfied that he had done what he promised, and ten years later you would have exactly the same social situation because none of what he is doing actually fixes the problem. The problem isn't the drug runners, users, the sellers, they are the symptoms.

You have been gulled like everyone else, like the German people were, that the issue can be fixed by killing everyone that you perceive as causing the problem. It's as simple as this, you can't fix problems just by killing people, and that's the sad attraction of Duterte's message, he provides what seems to be an easy solution to a complex problem, just as Hitler's solution was a simple solution to a complex problem. It will end badly no matter how good it looks at the moment.
Thank wadaye, 142857 thanked this post
Old 13th October 2016, 09:29 AM
*Insert naughty words here*

I love people that stick up for leaders on a killing spree with anecdotal stories.

Last edited by loubert; 13th October 2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 13th October 2016, 10:54 AM

Marcos had immense popular support in the Philippines. Ask a Filipino who remembers his rule and, if they are honest, they will tell you the same thing.

Thaksin had immense popular support (outside Bangkok) and IMO he would win in a landslide if he were back to Thailand tomorrow and free to stand for election.

Suharto was popular in Indonesia and even my wife says he was a good leader in some ways, that corruption was less of a problem and nobody dared start trouble. We drove past a demonstration outside parliament in Jakarta once, my wife said "if Suharto was president, all of those people would disappear by tomorrow and nobody would ever see them again".

I don't doubt that Duterte is a popular leader. That doesn't make him a good one.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 13th October 2016, 12:01 PM

Here is a good example of how justice often works in a place like The Philippines:

Quote:
"Five or six guys came busting in, Filipino guys with drawn firearms,"
<>
Mr Berg was then taken to a backstreet near the hotel and arrested for allegedly trying to sell drugs to an undercover police officer.
<>
The Australian thought the only chance of proving his innocence would be to obtain the CCTV footage from the hotel's security cameras to prove he was abducted from his hotel room and was not caught selling drugs on the street.
<>
The footage was subpoenaed and presented to the court.

It confirmed Mr Berg's story and destroyed the credibility of the police, leading to his acquittal on September 15.

Mr Berg and Marvie are currently back in Australia.

He said he does not know why he was accused of being a drug dealer but suspects he was set-up by an ex-partner of his girlfriend.
from: http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/1...ilippines-jail

And these are the type of people you want to trust to be judge jury and executioner?
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 17th October 2016, 08:24 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Sickening. Absolutely sickening

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lateral-damage

Old 17th October 2016, 08:53 PM
AFA Member

Thanks for the link loubert. The situation is so insane i'm having to stop myself from falling into comedy...but i can't. I think the problem really lies with bald people. They really should kill all the bald people.

That's ridiculous.

Instead, kill all the people who drink beer! The Philippines ranks a dismal 82nd in the world happiness report http://worldhappiness.report/wp-cont...-V1Ch2_web.pdf, and it is entirely due to people drinking beer and therefore we are going kill all people who drink beer and maybe also their children because we want to protect the next generation.

On what rational grounds could this be defensible?
Old 17th October 2016, 10:32 PM
AFA Member

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
But there are no good intentions here.
Its very cynical
PS. Shocking that the most Christian country in the world (apart from its Muslim population) turns out to be in love with death. the death of others that is.
There may be something to say for the fact that the Catholic Church's breeding policy - go forth and multiply exponentially as quickly as possible - leads to a devaluation of human life.

Last edited by wadaye; 17th October 2016 at 10:34 PM.