Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 28th June 2017, 05:45 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Duterte

Unfucking believable. I cannot hold a tune so I would probably be arrested if we have that here. Better not tell Tony about this or it could be on the agenda.
Old 28th June 2017, 06:07 PM
AFA Member

He's a fan of Kim Jong Un. As is Trump, in a weird sort of way. He did call the little fat Korean 'very clever'. Lol.

Intelligence is precisely what all these dictators lack, actually. Brutishness, lack of education, lack of sophistication, lack of perspective and an incapacity to reason and access the empathetic part of the brain. They're all the same. From Stalin to Duterte. They're are just murderous thugs, it's no wonder they take tips from each other.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 28th June 2017, 06:12 PM
Then things got awkward

Imagine an old fart like me, singing (under duress) "for we are young and free". Pfft!

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Old 28th June 2017, 07:36 PM
AFA Member

Duterte has been unable to avoid war in his country, but the notion of kill kill kill from the President surely has to attract like minded people in the form of ISIS. Duterte would be so happy to have an IS insurgency for him to get his army to fight.
Old 27th July 2017, 06:38 AM
Then things got awkward

Duterte warned bombing schools a war crime - NZ Herald linky

Quote:
Human rights groups asked the Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte yesterday to retract a threat to order airstrikes against tribal schools he accused of teaching students to become communist rebels, warning such an attack would constitute a war crime.

United States-based Human Rights Watch said international humanitarian law "prohibits attacks on schools and other civilian structures unless they are being used for military purposes", adding that deliberate attacks on civilians, including students and teachers, "is also a war crime".

Left-wing representative Emmi de Jesus of the Gabriela Women's Party asked Duterte to retract the threat, saying government troops may use it as a pretext to attack indigenous, or Lumad, schools and communities in the country's south which have come under threat from pro-military militias in recent years.

Angered by recent communist rebel attacks on government forces, including a road gunbattle last week that wounded five members of his elite presidential guards, Duterte has called off peace talks with the Maoist guerrillas and threatened their perceived sympathisers.

In a televised news conference he called on Tuesday shortly after delivering his annual state of the nation address, Duterte condemned the insurgents for destroying bridges and torching schools in the countryside but said the insurgents were sparing Lumad schools which he alleged were operating under rebel control without government permits.

"Get out of there, I'm telling the Lumads now. I'll have those bombed, including your structures," the President said.

"I will use the armed forces, the Philippine air force. I'll really have those bombed ... because you are operating illegally and you are teaching the children to rebel against the Government."

"By calling for an attack on schools, Duterte is directing the military to commit war crimes," Carlos Conde of the Human Rights Watch said in a statement.
More at linky

Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 27th July 2017, 08:38 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Duterte warned bombing schools a war crime - NZ Herald linky

Quote:
Human rights groups asked the Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte yesterday to retract a threat to order airstrikes against tribal schools he accused of teaching students to become communist rebels, warning such an attack would constitute a war crime.

United States-based Human Rights Watch said international humanitarian law "prohibits attacks on schools and other civilian structures unless they are being used for military purposes", adding that deliberate attacks on civilians, including students and teachers, "is also a war crime".

Left-wing representative Emmi de Jesus of the Gabriela Women's Party asked Duterte to retract the threat, saying government troops may use it as a pretext to attack indigenous, or Lumad, schools and communities in the country's south which have come under threat from pro-military militias in recent years.

Angered by recent communist rebel attacks on government forces, including a road gunbattle last week that wounded five members of his elite presidential guards, Duterte has called off peace talks with the Maoist guerrillas and threatened their perceived sympathisers.

In a televised news conference he called on Tuesday shortly after delivering his annual state of the nation address, Duterte condemned the insurgents for destroying bridges and torching schools in the countryside but said the insurgents were sparing Lumad schools which he alleged were operating under rebel control without government permits.

"Get out of there, I'm telling the Lumads now. I'll have those bombed, including your structures," the President said.

"I will use the armed forces, the Philippine air force. I'll really have those bombed ... because you are operating illegally and you are teaching the children to rebel against the Government."

"By calling for an attack on schools, Duterte is directing the military to commit war crimes," Carlos Conde of the Human Rights Watch said in a statement.
More at linky
the man is insane. Thanks for the link.
Old 27th July 2017, 09:03 AM
AFA Member

I'm not sure how these things work but don't the 8000 people executed by police and State forces without trial constitute a crime against humanity already?
Like knowledge is power, DanDare liked this post
Old 27th July 2017, 10:45 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I'm not sure how these things work but don't the 8000 people executed by police and State forces without trial constitute a crime against humanity already?

Yes it is, however there's a difference between these crimes and the ordering of the army and air force to attack civilians, Duterte still argues that even though he has said it, ie: he will kill them, he has never ordered anyone murdered, it was all a big jape right. A direct order to the military though? That's a harder one to get away with, also it then becomes a war crime, not a civil criminal matter.
Thank pipbarber thanked this post
Old 27th July 2017, 06:56 PM
Then things got awkward

Bombing schools is not enough: Duterte slings crap at Oxford University.

'Oxford University a school for stupid people' says Rodrigo Duterte

Quote:
The Philippines' fiery President Rodrigo Duterte has lashed out at Oxford University as a "school for stupid people" after it published a study claiming he had paid for a cyber army to increase his popularity on social media.

The study, Troops, Trolls and Troublemakers: A Global Inventory of Organised Social Media Manipulation, looked at the strategies used by political parties and candidates in 28 different countries to spread their party messaging and inflate social media engagement numbers.

It claims that Duterte's camp paid $200,000 in 2016, the year he was elected, for a social media campaign that used citizens and groups to promote and defend him online, the Daily Telegraph reports.

Duterte has admitted to paying people to defend him on social media but said this only happened during the campaign season, strongly denying it continued after he was elected.

"Now I do not need it. I do not need to defend myself against attacks. I stated my piece during my inauguration and my campaign," he said, according to local news outlet Rappler. "Oxford University? That's a school for stupid people."
More at linky.

Come and see...

Old 30th July 2017, 09:33 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Paid people to defend him online. I am beginning to see social engineering patterns all over the place and I am trying to think its just paranoia. Now I know I have to keep my laser handy.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post