Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 22nd February 2017, 11:22 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Duterte

Swallow this pill, it will help you? Spray this liquid on your face, its great, just like a prank show?
Old 24th February 2017, 12:48 PM
AFA Member

So the Church has been willing to engage in mikd criticism but is subject to so many skeletons in its own closet that it blesses Duterte at the same time

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hurch-showdown
Old 4th March 2017, 05:46 PM
AFA Member

Young Philipinos in Australia sporting Duterte stickers on their cars. I argued with them that its wrong to publicly support a mass murderer.
Old 4th March 2017, 05:54 PM
AFA Member

Yeah, i think its up to around 7,000 now? Including kids as young as 8. Yes, that would qualify as mass murder i think. I'd do the same if i was to meet a supporter.
Old 4th March 2017, 09:07 PM
AFA Member

I agree. The notion that it couldn't happen (again) here is only as strong as our willingness to oppose it
Old 5th April 2017, 07:38 PM
AFA Member

After a short break Duterte is back on form;

Quote:
PHILIPPINE President Rodrigo Duterte faced criticism on Wednesday for defending adultery by a powerful political ally.

Mr Duterte had said that like himself, House of Representatives Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez — who has made public his extramarital affairs — had “many wives”.

“This is a world of hypocrisy. Who among you here does not have a mistress?” the president said in a speech aired live on television on Tuesday night, adding it was “a non-issue”.
In a highly catholic country where adultery is illegal it can never be non-issue. If he wants it to be a non-issue he should be active to change the law. Personally I don't think it should be illegal. The problem with it being illegal and then declaring it alright for his political ally is that he can also use to get rid of political enemies if the occasion arises. Apart from that, the ma's just disgusting in his defence of adultery, for instance;

Quote:
“But really there are so many women and you (have) so short a time in this world. My God!” he said in comments that drew laughter from the crowd.
This is the man who previously commented on a murdered Australian nurse thus;

Quote:
During the election campaign, the US and Australian ambassadors criticised Mr Duterte for saying he had wanted to rape a “beautiful” Australian missionary who was murdered in a 1989 provincial prison riot in the city where Mr Duterte was mayor.
Then complained that his remarks had been misinterpreted, not sure they were now actually and it certainly wouldn't surprise me, although this is only a personal opinion, that we shouldn't possibly add rapist to the charge of mass murderer. After all what woman is going to accuse as rapist a man who can just have them killed as a drug user at the drop of a hat?

Quote:
“Who isn’t entitled to happiness? Ask these lawmakers, how many of them have two, three or four mistresses? Ask them,” Mr Duterte said on Sunday in his first public comments on the Alvarez controversy.
And of course the usual projection of his peccadillos onto other people in an attempt to demonstrate that everyone does it, therefore it's fine, even though he has no actual proof that everyone does indeed do it!
Old 5th April 2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post

And of course the usual projection of his peccadillos onto other people in an attempt to demonstrate that everyone does it, therefore it's fine, even though he has no actual proof that everyone does indeed do it!
Everyone of course meaning all males.
Old 28th May 2017, 01:31 PM
Then things got awkward

Rape Jokes II - The Duterte Guide To Pep-Talking The Troops
via BBC

Quote:
The president of the Philippines has come under fire for joking about rape in a speech to soldiers.

While speaking at a military camp after imposing martial law across the south of the country, he said they were allowed to rape up to three women.

This was the second rape joke Rodrigo Duterte has been condemned for making since announcing his candidacy.

A human rights group said his comment was "sickening" and Chelsea Clinton tweeted that rape was never funny.

Mr Duterte's words were: "I will be imprisoned for you. If you rape three (women), I will say that I did it. But if you marry four, son of a whore you will be beaten up."

Phelim Kine of Human Rights Watch said the president's comment was "a sickening attempt at humour" that sent soldiers a signal they could commit rights abuses while enforcing martial law.

He said: "Duterte's pro-rape comments only confirm some of the worst fears of human rights activists that the Duterte government will not just turn a blind eye to possible military abuses in Mindanao, but may actively encourage them."

And a women's political party in the country, Gabriela, said in a statement: "Rape is not a joke. Martial law and the heightened vulnerability to military abuse that it brings to women and children are not a joke either."

Martial law was imposed last week on Mindanao in the south of the Philippines, where Muslim separatists and other rebels are fighting the army.

Last year, Mr Duterte joked about a 1989 rape and murder of an Australian missionary. He said that as mayor of the town where it happened, he should have been "first in line".
Totally fucking charmed.

Just in: BrizTimes on same.

Quote:
Bangkok: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has joked with troops imposing martial law across his country's violence-hit south that they could rape up to three women, provoking online outrage.
"Not funny. Ever," Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of former US president Bill Clinton, wrote on Twitter.
Not funny. Ever. https://t.co/XUIo85noBQ
— Chelsea Clinton (@ChelseaClinton) May 26, 2017
In a second post Ms Clinton wrote: "Duterte is a murderous thug with no regard for human rights. It's important to keep pointing that out & that rape is never a joke."

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 28th May 2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Moar!
Like wadaye, DanDare liked this post
Old 28th May 2017, 08:06 PM
AFA Member

What I can't figure out is headlines like this;

Quote:
Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law in the Philippines while we weren’t watching

Well fuck me mate, he might have done it while you weren't watching, but anyone with an ounce of sense knew this was coming practically from the moment he took power! If you didn't see this coming you were waling around with your eyes closed and some sort of reality filter around your brain.

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/ro...f0fe1e8bfd2811

Duterte has been seeking some reason to impose martial law since he took power, it's bloody Marcos all over again (and no that's not bloody as in a swear word, it's bloody as in what he did while in power.) Duterte will probably try and place all of the country under martial law, it appears to be the in thing in the Philippines. Be elected democratically, declare martial law and take over the country, rule with a bloody hand for the next 30 years. I just can't figure out why the average voter falls for it all the time, they seem to be actually cheering him on!
Old 28th June 2017, 05:03 PM
Then things got awkward

Dedicated followers of fascism?

Sing, and sing with gusto, or get in the van...

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...