Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 16th January 2017, 03:27 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Duterte

It appears that Duterte has gone from being a dictator in appearance to being a dictator in actuality, didn't take that long really, I expected maybe a year for this, the Philippines have elected themselves a tyrant!

Quote:
"If I wanted to, and it will deteriorate into something really very virulent, I will declare martial law if I wanted to. No one will be able to stop me," Mr Duterte said in a speech to businesspeople in the southern city of Davao on Saturday.

"My country transcends everything else, even the limitations," he added.
In theory he can be stopped, but of course he has his death squads, and anyone opposing gets branded a drug dealer or use;

Quote:
Martial rule would allow Mr Duterte to use the military to enforce civilian law and detain people at length without charge.

The Philippines constitution says a president can only declare martial law for 60 days and then only to stop an invasion or a rebellion. Parliament can revoke the measure within 48 hours while the Supreme Court can review its legality.
The question is would parliament dare revoke it, would judges dare even try to review its legality.

Obviously he doesn't think so;

Quote:
But Mr Duterte said the 60-day limit "would be gone".
Quote:
"If I have to declare martial law, I will declare it. Not about invasion, insurrection, not about danger. I will declare martial law to preserve my nation, period," he said.
Funny, a lot dictators must read the same book because they seem to give the same reasons;

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38627740
Old 30th January 2017, 10:44 PM
AFA Member

Oh look, what a surprise, said no-one ever!

Quote:
Philippine police are suspending their controversial war on drugs until after the "corrupt" police force has been "cleansed".
What brought this on?

Quote:
It comes after the murder of a South Korean businessman inside police headquarters. He had been kidnapped and killed by anti-drug police.
Inside police fucking headquarters, they didn't even feel they needed to do it elsewhere, oh what a cesspit we dig for ourselves if we start a mine in a sewage plant!

Apparently orders from the top;

Quote:
Speaking on Monday, Mr Dela Rosa said Mr Duterte "told us to clean the organisation first".

"We will cleanse our ranks... then maybe after that, we can resume our war on drugs."
Well that's what he reckons anyway, what does the top man actually have to say?

Quote:
Mr Duterte now accuses the police force of being "corrupt to the core". He has ordered all tainted officers to be sent to front-line duty in the conflict-wracked southern Philippines.
Oh that makes it alright then, we will send the corrupt murderers into an area of society already being destabilised by conflict and social problems so they can what? Continue to prey on and murder innocent civilians, the man's an idiot, yes I have to say it, an idiot.

Quote:
"When I said I'll protect the police, I'll protect the police. But I won't protect lying," he said.
So murder is fine, a bit of a lie though, ooh can't have that.

But it's ok, he has decided to extend his war on drugs to the end of his term, in 2022. 7000 known dead so far and it's been what, 6-8 months? So that's 30,000-40,000 extrajudicial killing to come, still a bit short of his 3-4 million I suppose.
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:58 PM
AFA Member

Ok this is going well, Duterte has had a problem with corrupt police officers, so while they are out of the picture he has decided to call in the army to kill the druggies. After all no-one has ever see the military being corrupt, right? Mind you they have bigger guns so that can kill more with one shot!

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/ph...da01279c9348db

Quote:
“I’m taking in the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) and raising the issue of drugs as a national security threat so that I will call on all the armed forces to assist,” Duterte said in a speech, after promising to kill more “son of a bitch” drug addicts.
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:02 AM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Ok this is going well, Duterte has had a problem with corrupt police officers, so while they are out of the picture he has decided to call in the army to kill the druggies. After all no-one has ever see the military being corrupt, right? Mind you they have bigger guns so that can kill more with one shot!

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/ph...da01279c9348db

Quote:
“I’m taking in the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) and raising the issue of drugs as a national security threat so that I will call on all the armed forces to assist,” Duterte said in a speech, after promising to kill more “son of a bitch” drug addicts.
What could go wrong?

Don't answer that...

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 13th February 2017, 08:37 PM
AFA Member

Duterte, he's been quiet for a while, then this comes along!

Quote:
Addressing a crowd in Davao City on Friday, the controversial Philippines leader admitted that he used the pain relief drug fentanyl, saying it made him feel like he was on “cloud nine”.

For the past two months, the President has been plagued by questions over whether his use of the drug constitutes “addiction”, with ongoing calls for the leader to release his health records.
Then this;

Quote:
“I am perpetually in pain,” he told the crowd, in a video broadcast by Filipino television network ABS-CBN.

“The doctor stopped (prescribing fentanyl) because he got mad. I’m supposed to cut it into four pieces,” he said, suggesting he used the drug beyond the medically-advised dosage.

“More than just the disappearance of pain, you feel that you are on cloud nine,” he said. “Everything is okay with the world, nothing to worry about.”
Followed by;

Quote:
In December last year, he first revealed that he used the drug.
Even then, he admitted his doctor instructed him to stop using it upon learning that he was “abusing the drug” by using more than the prescribed dosage.
He went on a bit more, then his political opponents started questioning his ability to perform while on the drug, and reading the above you can't help but consider it a real possibility;

Quote:
“It is not just the illness itself that we should be worried about, but also the impact or side effects that the medications he is taking may have, especially on his lucidity and ability to make decisions with a clear mind,” she said.
Quote:
“Duterte should stop taking Fentanyl because obviously it has already driven him to madness and to fits of paranoia where everyone he sees is either a drug addict or a drug lord,” she said.
Quote:
“At least I, whom he recklessly and wrongly accuses as a narco-politician, haven’t taken a single addictive drug in my life, while he who runs amok and froths in the mouth like a rabid animal has the temerity to make up a list, when he should be on the top of that list.”
So they are starting to get the boot in and what does he say?

Quote:
He ended up denying the whole thing, according to the Agence France-Presse.

“Fools, I just made up that story and you believed it,” he reportedly said, in contradiction to his more recent speech in Davao.
I think actually he may be certifiably insane! There certainly are a number of conditions that could explain his bizarre behaviour.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...b129de4d0c7c33
Old 13th February 2017, 09:19 PM
What Me Deluded?

If Duterte didn't actually learn the brazen truth-falsification ruse from Trump, I expect he has been much emboldened by his example, by the most powerful man in the world, where it has ever been expected of America to hold the moral bar high. Now there is no moral authority at all.
Old 13th February 2017, 11:38 PM
AFA Member

I find that gob-smacking! The man's a fucking junkie? Well, I guess we know Hitler was off his tits for most of his last 8 years so there's a pattern at least. What a fucking hypocrite though. A murderous dog (no, apologies to dogs), utterly diplorable human. I hope for his death, I admit, and if he keeps up with his fentanyl tastes that won't be far off.
Old 14th February 2017, 12:12 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I find that gob-smacking! The man's a fucking junkie? Well, I guess we know Hitler was off his tits for most of his last 8 years so there's a pattern at least. What a fucking hypocrite though. A murderous dog (no, apologies to dogs), utterly diplorable human. I hope for his death, I admit, and if he keeps up with his fentanyl tastes that won't be far off.
It comes up far to often that those fanatically opposed to a particular behaviour are often guilty of that very same behaviour. When I say fanatically I don't mean using rational arguments and evidence to build a strong case (the sort "fanatical" that theists accuse atheists of being but which is really nothing like their own sort of fanaticism), but the foaming at the mouth, hysterical nutbag type fanaticism.

How may evangelical borne agains railing against adultery and promiscuity have we seen caught in the very same act, I see it as more of an irrational guilt thing, it has eaten them up, devoured them so they can no longer think rationally, religion...huh!
Old 18th February 2017, 09:54 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Philippines: Duterte critic Leila de Lima faces drugs charges

Philippine prosecutors have filed drug-related charges against a senator who is an outspoken critic of President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs.
Senator Leila de Lima is accused of receiving money from detained drug lords.
A former top human rights official, she has denied the claims, calling them "politically motivated".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39005919
Classic move.
Old 22nd February 2017, 01:14 PM

So far, more than 7000 people have been killed since Dickface Duterte starting this worrying trend.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...odrigo-duterte

No answers here, it's this kind of thinking that defies reason. Apart from responding with violence, what argument could you say to sway this madman?

Last edited by Athe1st; 22nd February 2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: can't spell ;p