Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 7th August 2016, 02:23 PM
AFA Member

Default Duterte

Do we have a thread on Duterte yet? If not we need one;

http://www.news.com.au/world/breakin...ac236820063a54

Quote:
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has identified more than 150 politicians, judges and members of law enforcement agencies allegedly involved in the illegal drugs trade.
He has already said publicly he wants the citizens to go out and kill drug offenders personally, and even offered rewards for the killing, one can't wonder how many of the killings performed so far are actually rival drug gang members using his words as an excuse to go out and kill with no fear of reprisal.

Even worse;

Quote:
Duterte said that while the involvement of some officials might not be true, he was making public their names because it was his "sworn duty".
He has publicly urged people to kill, even offering rewards, and then released a list of police and politicians, some of who may to be guilty even he admits, so that the public and police can kill them with no fear of repercussions. One wonders how many of these police and politicians are actually just political rivals and not drug dealers. I suppose that's one way to ensure he gets re-elected, just have the public kill any rival politicians before they have a chance to challenge him. I can't see any serious opposition in the Philippines for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Since Duterte took office on June 30, nearly 500 suspects have been killed in his administration's anti-drug campaign.

Most of them were killed by police allegedly because they fought back when arrested, while others were suspected of having been killed by vigilante groups or rival drug gangs.
Without a single trial and conviction, convenient is a word not often used for murders, but here it seems apt, how very convenient!
Old 7th August 2016, 11:28 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Duterte

When president calls for murder the Constitution insofar as it presumes the rule of law is being undermined.
Old 8th August 2016, 07:47 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Abbott used the term 'death cult' ad nauseum. But when the government or a "leader" takes it upon themselves to kill, it's terrifying. The United States does this, as well as the appalling rate of gun deaths they seem to celebrate. Then there's China, Iran, Saudi Arabia etc.. Duterte takes it to another level.

He did call Catholic bishops "sons of whores", and indicate he would defy the church on birth control issues, but that pales into insignificance compared to his murderous disregard for the right to life.
Old 15th September 2016, 07:14 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
Abbott used the term 'death cult' ad nauseum. But when the government or a "leader" takes it upon themselves to kill, it's terrifying.
One of the supreme problems of governments taking it upon themselves to kill is it may start with the criminals and low life scum with all good intention, but once the necessity for justice is removed is becomes oh so tempting to remove political opponents;

Quote:
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the murder of political opponents while mayor of Davao, a former death squad member has alleged.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37370848
Old 15th September 2016, 08:01 PM
AFA Member

It is ironic that a man who has authorised mass murder, on a scale comparable to ISIS, now stands accused of ... murder, but not for the mass killings.
The media are cowards. I suspect however that Phillipines media also understand the rules to keep quiet or be made to keep quiet.
Old 15th September 2016, 09:36 PM
AFA Member

The fact that there is no international arrest warrant from the ICC tends to show that the ICC is unfortunately toothless.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:22 AM
AFA Member

This is precisely the type of situation where a military coup is required due to the breach of the rule of law by the president.
Old 4th October 2016, 04:45 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Philippines secret death squads: officer claims police teams behind wave of killings

Quote:
Exclusive: Thousands of people have been killed since Rodrigo Duterte became president and, according to one officer, secret police teams are partly responsible
Quote:
“We are not that bad policemen or bad individuals. We are just a tool, we are just angels that God gave talent to, you know, to get these bad souls back to heaven and cleanse them.”

The words flow unnervingly from the mouth of the policeman, a senior officer in the Philippines national police (PNP), as he explains his role in 87 killings in the past three months.

It’s not about killing for pleasure, or being a “homicidal maniac”, he says. There is a higher purpose at play.

“We are here as angels. Like St Michael and St Gabriel, right,” he says.
Murdering in the name of.....

More at the link.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 5th October 2016, 06:24 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
wolty said View Post
2 Cor 2:16
"we are the aroma which brings death"
Old 5th October 2016, 09:47 AM
AFA Member

Quote: