Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 17th January 2018, 11:34 AM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Default Re: Religious Freedom review

If you are not going to make a submission to this yourself, "Just.equal" have a petition going that you can sign as a simple way to contribute.

www.equal.org.au/ruddock_inquiry

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 19th January 2018, 11:45 AM
AFA Member

An interesting article here, I would suggest this is the end target of the current religious freedom mania in Australia as well;

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...eid=7bd263b041

Quote:
The Obama administration in 2011 rewrote a series of Bush-era protections designed to protect the moral and religious beliefs of health care workers. Opponents of the Bush rules argue that they were too broad and could have allowed workers to opt out of end-of-life care, providing birth control and treatment for HIV and AIDS. For instance, some workers cited their moral objections when denying fertility treatment to lesbian couples or not providing ambulance transportation to a pregnant woman seeking an abortion.

As always the pro commenters argue that this is not what the rules are intended to do, but as always when you implement broad rules they will be used not for what they were intended but what they can, this cannot be avoided, any broad freedoms provide the ability to inflict harm on others.
Old 20th January 2018, 09:36 PM
What Me Deluded?

One might be discriminated against, refused service or medical assistance on the grounds that they are a known atheist reprobate, a pariah.

It's a Pandora's box, a license for mutual discrimination.

Individuals within this government are becoming emboldened by developments in America.
Old 3rd February 2018, 02:20 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

In looking for the terms of reference I came across this previous review from 2016, which examined global affairs: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary...edomofreligion

In the current terms of reference (https://www.pmc.gov.au/resource-cent...erms-reference) which is very brief it says:

Quote:
Scope

In undertaking this Review, the Panel should:
  • Consider the intersections between the enjoyment of the freedom of religion and other human rights.
  • Have regard to any previous or ongoing reviews or inquiries that it considers relevant.
  • Consult as widely as it considers necessary.
So this very loose scope statement allows them to incorporate previous reviews without the controls that were placed on those reviews.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 3rd February 2018, 02:25 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Consult as widely as it considers necessary.
Oh wow! That is a "licence" to consult no one at all!
Old 3rd February 2018, 02:28 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Hi Guys, a few weeks ago I remember reading an extensive submission by the Australian Satanists but I have lost the link. Google is not being my friend on this. Anyone have the linky?

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 5th February 2018, 08:32 AM
Observer, with unmet expectations.

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Hi Guys, a few weeks ago I remember reading an extensive submission by the Australian Satanists but I have lost the link. Google is not being my friend on this. Anyone have the linky?
@Dan: Looked like mad, but not found.

Meanwhile, this submission by Dean Stretton is well worth a read.

Just a quick taste:

Quote:
25. As for commercial enterprises, including those in the wedding industry, religions do not require their proponents to go into business. If bakers, florists or civil marriage celebrants insist on a right to discriminate based on a protected attribute – race, sex, sexual orientation, or so on – then, like other members of the public, they are at liberty not to be in business at all. Civil celebrants are also performing a government
function (solemnisation of marriages) and should therefore follow the same antidiscrimination laws as governments generally.

26. A further point is that many religious organisations receive public funds. Governments are by far the biggest source of charitable revenue. Thus, “LGBTI taxpayers are being [unfairly] asked to fund religious organisations that can discriminate against them as employers.”

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Like knowledge is power liked this post
Thank Fie thanked this post
Old 5th February 2018, 09:44 AM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Is this it?
http://ironfistvelvetglove.com.au/20...ruddock-panel/

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like knowledge is power liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, SEG thanked this post
Old 6th February 2018, 12:53 PM

More submissions, or articles about them:
Susan Ryan, ex-Federal Minister & Discrimination Commissioner

Neil Foster: Law And Religion Australia

Thank SEG thanked this post
Old 8th February 2018, 08:25 AM

GUARDIAN: Philip Ruddock's religious freedom review holding secret hearings
LGBTI activists sound the alarm after appearing at unadvertised, unrecorded ‘informal dialogues’

Quote:
The religious freedom review headed by Philip Ruddock has started secret hearings with evidence taken in private sessions, despite a commitment in January to be “as open as possible in its approach to submissions”.

Ruddock has brushed off concerns that the process of private hearings reduces transparency, telling Guardian Australia “it’s not a trial” and the panel was more likely to be persuaded by written submissions anyway.

Guardian Australia has obtained an email account of the first hearing on Monday, which was not advertised, attended by Australian Capital Territory’s LGBTIQ ministerial advisory council chair Anne-Marie Delahunt and member Suzanne Eastwood.

Eastwood wrote to her fellow members of the council that she and Delahunt were “alarmed to say the least about the type of questioning and the complete lack of a ‘friend’ on the panel”.

“The negative effects this review could have on our community are quite alarming,” she said. “It felt like progress could be set back years and years. We were asked not to discuss the discussion we had at the review.”

In January the religious freedom review panel clarified its approach to written submissions by promising to make them public in response to media reports that it intended to keep them secret.

Labor’s equality spokeswoman, Terri Butler, said the private hearings on top of the original secrecy around the submissions “will undermine confidence in the process”.

Butler said the review was being conducted in “a very significant area of public policy, in a highly contested set of circumstances” so the panel should want a transparent process to prevent its conclusions being impugned.
More@Source