Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 3rd December 2017, 11:54 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Baa Baa Barnarby

It's possible Barnaby's increased winning margin may in some small part be due to the perception that he's been caught up in a constitutional quirk that ought to have been addressed decades ago, because he's clearly as aussie, aussie, aussie as you can get. Also, there is something vaguely likeable about him at times, in my view, in spite of his politics. None of that applies to John Alexander. A wealthy (s)nob who rode into parliament on a fucking tennis racquet and would look right at home sitting in some royal box at Wimbledon.

I reckon Alexander will lose.
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:51 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
It's possible Barnaby's increased winning margin may in some small part be due to the perception that he's been caught up in a constitutional quirk that ought to have been addressed decades ago, because he's clearly as aussie, aussie, aussie as you can get.
Agreed.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Also, there is something vaguely likeable about him at times, in my view, in spite of his politics ...
I agree, least, that he's likely to be perceived that way by many folks in his electorate.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 3rd December 2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:56 PM
AFA Member

When you stand next to the rest of the Libs/Nats/Phon it is pretty easy to look less like a dick.
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:41 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
... None of that applies to John Alexander. A wealthy (s)nob who rode into parliament on a fucking tennis racquet and would look right at home sitting in some royal box at Wimbledon.
That's might be a little harsh.

I may be mistaken, but I don't understand that he inherited a lot of money. I'm sure he did well from his tennis career, and I understand that he was a moderately successful commercial career after that.

I think that, on balance, we have too many career politicians in Parliament, and that we should have people from a variety of backgrounds, and I wouldn't exclude professional sportspeople.

Of course, I'm not defending his politics.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I reckon Alexander will lose.
I do hope so, but I'm not confident about it.
Old 7th February 2018, 11:39 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like joele liked this post
Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 7th February 2018, 11:42 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
Natalie Joyce releases statement
Caroline Overington at the Australian has reported that Natalie Joyce has spoken:

Quote:
I am deeply saddened by the news that my husband has been having an affair and is now having a child with a former staff member. I understand that this affair has been going on for many months and started when she was a paid employee.

This situation is devastating on many fronts. For my girls who are affected by the family breakdown and for me as a wife of 24 years, who placed my own career on hold to support Barnaby through his political life.

Our family life has had to be shared during Barnaby’s political career and it was with trust that we let campaign and office staff into our homes and into our lives. Naturally we also feel deceived and hurt by the actions of Barnaby and the staff member involved.

The situation for myself and the girls will be made worse by the fact that this will all be played out in public so at this time, I would ask that the girls and I are given some privacy and time to come to terms with the consequences and take steps to plan our future.
It's his hypocrisy he should be held to account for.

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:45 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wolty said View Post
It's his hypocrisy he should be held to account for.

I am normally against holding a person's private life up for scrutiny as long as that private life is legal and ethical. In other words if a member of parliament wants to sleep around it's not against the law, if he is not married, of if he is divorced or legally separated I couldn't give a monkeys, but when he holds up the banner of traditional marriage as symbol to oppose other peoples rights, while at the same time besmirching that very tradition, well that's pushing it a bit. It's unethical, immoral (on the secular sense) and just plain wrong!

But there is an innocent face in this debate, admittedly unborn, and that makes it difficult because what we do now may unfairly affect that child in the future. It's difficult but I would say, forget it, it's not worth it.
Thank wolty, The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 7th February 2018, 01:34 PM

^Agreed. But, at the same time, anything he says in future regarding the sanctity of traditional marriage and family values deserves to be openly disregarded. Not that it didn't already....
Like SEG, Blue Lightning, DanDare liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, DanDare thanked this post
Old 7th February 2018, 03:39 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Barnaby Joyce does not understand marrriage

Clementine Ford

Quote:
And so it turns out that not only is Barnaby Joyce a shocking hypocrite, he's also a repulsive cliche. The Deputy Prime Minister may have spent years defending the institution of "traditional marriage" from same sex couples, but he's carefully avoided applying his moral code to his own marriage of 24 years. This week, the public learned that Joyce has been pursuing a sexual relationship with a much younger staffer and the pair are now expecting a baby.

If this is, as Sunrise's Samantha Armytage called it, "the worst kept secret in Canberra", why has it taken this long to be reported on? The private lives of public people do indeed deserve protection, but not when they grossly contradict the ethics those people claim to stand by.

For years, Joyce campaigned against same sex marriage by arguing it would fundamentally degrade an institution founded on traditional notions of love and partnership. In 2011, Joyce told attendees at an anti-marriage equality rally (organised by the Australian Christian Lobby and the Australian Family Association) that same sex marriage would negatively affect his four daughters.

"We know that the best protection for those girls is that they get themselves into a secure relationship with a loving husband," he said, "and I want that to happen for them. I don't want any legislator to take that right away from me."

All these years later, I'm still perplexed as to why Joyce thinks marriage equality would have denied his daughters the right to marry men. But as Jennifer Wilson wrote back in October 2017 (incidentally, the only journalist willing to explore what was then and still is a matter of public interest), "Joyce used his four daughters' inalienable right to heterosexual marriage as an argument against marriage equality. This in itself makes no sense, but it does demonstrate his hypocrisy in advocating a "secure relationship with a loving husband" as a woman's ultimate "protection". I doubt his wife or his daughters feel particularly protected by the man who has brought such unwelcome attention to their lives through his own alleged infidelity.

With the reality of a baby on the way, that infidelity is alleged no more. Natalie Joyce has since released a statement saying she and her four daughters are "hurt and deceived" by the Deputy Prime Minister's bog standard behaviour. Joyce has previously spoken about his "guilt" over being an absent father to his four daughters, none of whom are likely to respond well to the fact he's joined the Old Father With A New Family do-over club. This is where the cliche comes in. Because really, a 50 year old man leaving his wife to start again with a 33 year old isn't a love story. It's a midlife crisis.

But we are also entitled to be concerned about the ease with which one of our supposed leaders takes advantage of women for his own benefit. In her statement, Ms. Joyce locates part of her devastation in the fact she placed her own career on hold to support Joyce as he established his political one. Having wives and children enormously benefits men's careers, particularly when they operate in the political sphere.

I'm not suggesting people stay in relationships that are no longer producing happiness or fulfilment. But when someone has sacrificed so much for you, have the moral integrity to separate from them with dignity.

Like two dogs, 142857, DanDare liked this post
Old 7th February 2018, 09:27 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Like SEG, 142857, DanDare liked this post