Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 14th December 2017, 02:49 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
There were some good Republicans [not an oxymoron in this case] who are so disgusted with Trump and Moore they actively campaigned for Democrat Doug Jones!

Some of the [lay] Republicans and those in the House are not beyond redemption. Needles to say, some were subject to death threats.

It seems an odd thing to say from a person who finds Trump so detestable, but I think the best result for the democrats would be for Trump to remain president until the next election and for the democrats to take control of the both houses to minimise damage.

The thing is, if Trump is kicked out or forced to retire we get the martyr situation, his followers will always believe he was unfairly removed and could have MAGA if given the chance. If he remains as president but achieves essentially nothing sure some of his followers will remain loyal, but a lot of people will see a useless leader, one who couldn't even unite republicans, let alone America, and they will think twice next time a Trump clone appears, because one will one day.

I doubt the Republicans will recover from this disaster for decades, oh they will still be there, but the ultra-conservatives will almost certainly split, in fact it looks like a split party already and if they ever manage to get back in power it will be a different America they are dealing with, a more sensible one I hope. Sometimes we need a kick in the pants to see the wrongness of our direction, there may be MAG eventually, but not under this fool.
Old 14th December 2017, 02:58 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
It seems an odd thing to say from a person who finds Trump so detestable, but I think the best result for the democrats would be for Trump to remain president until the next election and for the democrats to take control of the both houses to minimise damage.

The thing is, if Trump is kicked out or forced to retire we get the martyr situation, his followers will always believe he was unfairly removed and could have MAGA if given the chance. If he remains as president but achieves essentially nothing sure some of his followers will remain loyal, but a lot of people will see a useless leader, one who couldn't even unite republicans, let alone America, and they will think twice next time a Trump clone appears, because one will one day.

I doubt the Republicans will recover from this disaster for decades, oh they will still be there, but the ultra-conservatives will almost certainly split, in fact it looks like a split party already and if they ever manage to get back in power it will be a different America they are dealing with, a more sensible one I hope. Sometimes we need a kick in the pants to see the wrongness of our direction, there may be MAG eventually, but not under this fool.
I do detest Trump. And I don't agree with most things republicans stand for, at least in the modern context. But I think it is refreshing that some Republicans are waking up. And I don't think the USA [or the rest of the world] will benefit from a totally crushed Republican party, unless some replacement becomes available to keep the Democrats honest.

And of course the Democratic party has it's faults too.
Old 14th December 2017, 03:13 PM
AFA Member

Please excuse my ignorance but what is "MAGA" and "MAG"?
Old 14th December 2017, 03:23 PM
Today is today. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Quote:
bruce1937 said View Post
Make America Hate Great Again

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine
Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Thank bruce1937, yowie thanked this post
Old 14th December 2017, 04:48 PM
AFA Member

@SB
I agree Steve, regarding the benefits of Trump seeing out his term but with two caveats.

1. He doesnt start a major war
2. He doesnt irrevocably trash the environment

...oh and 3. He doesnt win again in 2020!
Old 14th December 2017, 05:10 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
@SB
I agree Steve, regarding the benefits of Trump seeing out his term but with two caveats.

1. He doesnt start a major war
2. He doesnt irrevocably trash the environment

...oh and 3. He doesnt win again in 2020!
But, however much we want Trumpism and Tea-Party ism and other shit to be consigned to the trash-bin of history, Trump is a clear and present danger NOW.

Nuclear weapons are bad enough, but using them depends on the side which is the LEAST stable.

So on one side we have Kim Jong-un, and on the other, Donald Trump. Both are nut-jobs, and so are most of their advisers, as far as I can tell.

During the decades of the cold war the USA and USSR both had a few shitty leaders. But since we survived, I am guessing both sides had influential advisors with some common sense.

I am guessing the North Korean system does not reward sceptics very well. Nor does the Trump Administration.
Old 14th December 2017, 05:17 PM
AFA Member

I think the military would refuse a nuke on NK. A link somewhere up thread to military discussion over how to legally refuse a Whitehouse order attest to that.

Last few days i've been feeling a little more relaxed about NK-US war, i'm thinking its very unlikely, for now anyway.
Old 14th December 2017, 06:06 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I think the military would refuse a nuke on NK. A link somewhere up thread to military discussion over how to legally refuse a Whitehouse order attest to that.

Last few days i've been feeling a little more relaxed about NK-US war, i'm thinking its very unlikely, for now anyway.
Hmmm.

Lt.Col. Harold L. Hering?

The "two-man" rule applies at the very top of the executive, which would mean if trump gave a launch order, it would have to be the Secretary of defence, or in the event of fatalities, some in the chain of succession.

Maybe for a First strike, I might agree with you. But if NK hit the USA with nukes in a first strike of their own? I am not so sure.

Of course, any officer who questioned Trump's sanity would be right, but probably dismissed or even shot if the USA was at condition Snapcount/Skyfall. [The war condition more serious than Defcon One!]
Old 14th December 2017, 06:06 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
bruce1937 said View Post
Just to clarify, Trump uses MAGA for "Make America Great Again" but some republicans, particularly the one who just lost an election, think the last time America was great was when they had slavery! So I used MAG, Make America Great, because it appears that america has never been great if we go by some republican's opinions!
Old 14th December 2017, 07:00 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
At the higher levels of the US military, that's possible.

Go the Deep State!

Yet, note DBD's point, below*.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I disagree. I think a war is something like a 50% chance. Especially when you factor in the effect of miscalculations and misunderstandings, which, in this case, could easily get wildly out of control very quickly.

Then there is the unfitness for office at the very top of both nations to consider. Yikes.

At the very top, at least in Trump's case, "miscalculation" may not be the best term. "Blundering" may be more accurate.

Also, when things start to go really badly on the domestic scene for Trump, which I think is more or less inevitable, the temptation of looking for a foreign distraction only increases.

Quote:

Hmmm.

Lt.Col. Harold L. Hering?
* Indeed.

Quote:
The "two-man" rule applies at the very top of the executive, which would mean if trump gave a launch order, it would have to be the Secretary of defence, or in the event of fatalities, some in the chain of succession.

Maybe for a First strike, I might agree with you.
See above link.

Quote:
But if NK hit the USA with nukes in a first strike of their own? I am not so sure ...
If NK ever launches a nuclear weapon at the US, IMO, all bets are off.

Even if NK strikes South Korea or Japan, things may well get very bad very quickly.
Like Darwinsbulldog liked this post