Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 25th February 2016, 05:27 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: Donald Trump

Measuring Donald Trumpís Supporters for Intolerance

Quote:
... A new set of public opinion survey results asking atypical but timely questions has shed some light on the Trump coalition. The results suggest how Mr. Trump has upended the contemporary divide in the party and built a significant part of his coalition of voters on people who are responsive to religious, social and racial intolerance ...

Mr. Trumpís popularity with white, working-class voters who are more likely than other Republicans to believe that whites are a supreme race and who long for the Confederacy may make him unpopular among leaders in his party. But itís worth noting that he isnít persuading voters to hold these beliefs. The beliefs were there ó and have been for some time.

Mr. Trump has reinvigorated explicit appeals to ethnocentrism, and some voters are responding.
Big Chunk of Trump Voters Think Freeing the Slaves After the Civil War Was a Bad Idea

Quote:
A new set of public opinion survey results reveal the extent to which Trumpís current campaign success is rooted in his supporters' pre-existing religious, social and racial intolerance ...

... almost a fifth of Trump voters believe it was not a good idea to free the slaves in the Southern states following the Civil War ...

... Public Policy Polling further revealed a grocery list of bigotry reflecting the attitudes of Trump supporters. In comparison to primary voters who support Cruz and Rubio, twice as many Trump supporters were in favor of banning gays and lesbians from entering the country, a number that is five times more than John Kasich and Ben Carson supporters.
Like wolty, Strato liked this post
Old 25th February 2016, 05:43 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Measuring Donald Trumpís Supporters for Intolerance

Quote:
... A new set of public opinion survey results asking atypical but timely questions has shed some light on the Trump coalition. The results suggest how Mr. Trump has upended the contemporary divide in the party and built a significant part of his coalition of voters on people who are responsive to religious, social and racial intolerance ...

Mr. Trumpís popularity with white, working-class voters who are more likely than other Republicans to believe that whites are a supreme race and who long for the Confederacy may make him unpopular among leaders in his party. But itís worth noting that he isnít persuading voters to hold these beliefs. The beliefs were there ó and have been for some time.

Mr. Trump has reinvigorated explicit appeals to ethnocentrism, and some voters are responding.
Big Chunk of Trump Voters Think Freeing the Slaves After the Civil War Was a Bad Idea

Quote:
A new set of public opinion survey results reveal the extent to which Trumpís current campaign success is rooted in his supporters' pre-existing religious, social and racial intolerance ...

... almost a fifth of Trump voters believe it was not a good idea to free the slaves in the Southern states following the Civil War ...

... Public Policy Polling further revealed a grocery list of bigotry reflecting the attitudes of Trump supporters. In comparison to primary voters who support Cruz and Rubio, twice as many Trump supporters were in favor of banning gays and lesbians from entering the country, a number that is five times more than John Kasich and Ben Carson supporters.
Wow. Can't say I'm surprised but still shocking.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
óChaz Bufe, The American Hereticís Dictionary
Old 25th February 2016, 06:00 PM

Tentatively, I think a coherent view of the drivers of the Trump phenomenon is emerging. We have, as Chomsky and Jeb Lund note, widespread social dissaffection and anger*. Fed, as Chomsky notes, by the changes wrought through neoliberalism. And the rise of a frightening megalomaniac exploiting, as those recent surveys reveal, pre-exiting intollerance and bigotry.

A very dangerous mix.

* - I recall in Thomas Piketty's book (Capital in the 21st Century) some discussion about the violent social reaction in the past to obscene disparities in the distribution of wealth. Chomsky and Lund have focussed on the pre-WW2 situation, but there were others. The French Revolution, anyone? Happy days.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 25th February 2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 25th February 2016, 08:25 PM

It's such an odd notion:

I am angry, so I will vote for a complete fucking loon.

I don't see the line between them.
Old 25th February 2016, 10:15 PM

It's not rational.
Old 25th February 2016, 10:42 PM

It's also weird that there's this constant patter of media saying that people are disaffected by the Obama years - the US has done pretty well during that time, picking itself up from a crash and getting people back into jobs.

Again, he's black, and that seems to be the crux of much of it. Perhaps that's the anger - let's put a proper coloured person back in the oval office!
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 26th February 2016, 03:30 PM
What Me Deluded?

I am exhilarated! My application for the one-way trip to Mars and has been accepted. I just have to pass the psychology test. No suicidal ideation here .

I must get Thomas Pickety Capital in the 21st Century to read on the trip.

Stop the world, I want to get off.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
It's such an odd notion:

I am angry, so I will vote for a complete fucking loon.

I don't see the line between them.

Glad to see that someone important is saying publicly that this is worrying nonsense!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35656256
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 26th February 2016, 10:40 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Tentatively, I think a coherent view of the drivers of the Trump phenomenon is emerging. We have, as Chomsky and Jeb Lund note, widespread social dissaffection and anger*. Fed, as Chomsky notes, by the changes wrought through neoliberalism. And the rise of a frightening megalomaniac exploiting, as those recent surveys reveal, pre-exiting intollerance and bigotry.

A very dangerous mix.

* - I recall in Thomas Piketty's book (Capital in the 21st Century) some discussion about the violent social reaction in the past to obscene disparities in the distribution of wealth. Chomsky and Lund have focussed on the pre-WW2 situation, but there were others. The French Revolution, anyone? Happy days.
It's grossly ironic of course.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:57 PM
What Me Deluded?

I am finding the spectre of Donald Trump troubling, lurking in the back of the mind. I need a shot of satire.