Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 6th October 2017, 06:33 AM
Enough words.

Default Re: Las Vegas Mass Shooting

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
(Not including an ancient text)
The way they value guns, you'd think it was one of the ten commandments.

'Thou shalt possess a firearm, every man, woman and child.'

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:30 AM
AFA Member

Part of the problem must inevitably be, what does a person do with 17 guns converted to automatic, and access to so much materials for explosives.

Of course the law enforcement agencies are designed to turn a blind eye to this kind of behaviour and express surprise every time it occurs!

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/02/...ephen-paddock/

Edit: It goes without saying that there would be revenge shootings if the killer happened to have been black or muslim.

That is not seen in the US because of its rose coloured glasses, something which we have here too

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/28/...on-of-slavery/

I think "the Intercept" is a stunning and refreshing news outlet

While looking at the kind of deep historical analysis of the present in the US and International world order, this is also speaking directly to Australia as well

https://theintercept.com/2015/10/12/...of-every-year/

Last edited by wadaye; 6th October 2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 7th October 2017, 11:13 AM
AFA Member

We all talk a lot hey? About what should be done. About gun control and how America just needs to have some. Just pass a law and take away the fucking guns.
And whatís gonna happen if they try?
The second amendment is there, in they eyes of so many guns nuts, as protection for the people against tyrannical government.
And what does a tyrannical government do, in their eyes?
It tryís to take your guns away.
So how do you stop that?
You take up arms.
It would be a blood bath.
That would make this mass shooting look like a day at Disney land.
We have to understand that what worked here will not work there.
America is too broken. Itís fucked up. The only thing it seems to understand is money.
So how about sanctions? Not by governments but by the people of the world?
Donít travel there, donít buy their shit, donít support their industries.
But we donít actually care that much do we? No Netflix? No NBA? No Hollywood movies?
No twinkies.
Or we can just understand that they will keep shooting each other.
Because they are beyond repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7th October 2017, 06:25 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Mjt said View Post
We all talk a lot hey? About what should be done. About gun control and how America just needs to have some. Just pass a law and take away the fucking guns.
And whatís gonna happen if they try?
The second amendment is there, in they eyes of so many guns nuts, as protection for the people against tyrannical government.
And what does a tyrannical government do, in their eyes?
It tryís to take your guns away.
So how do you stop that?
You take up arms.
It would be a blood bath.
That would make this mass shooting look like a day at Disney land.
We have to understand that what worked here will not work there.
America is too broken. Itís fucked up. The only thing it seems to understand is money.
So how about sanctions? Not by governments but by the people of the world?
Donít travel there, donít buy their shit, donít support their industries.
But we donít actually care that much do we? No Netflix? No NBA? No Hollywood movies?
No twinkies.
Or we can just understand that they will keep shooting each other.
Because they are beyond repair.

My bold. Whilst iím In agreement here, I donít think money is the main issue. I see it as a toxic amalgam of Christianity and the secular religion of constitutionalism which has spawned a strange ideology, superficially glued to the concept of personal freedom, that is producing a deeply fucked up society. Thatís how it looks from the Dandenong ranges east of Melbourne (Iíve never been to the US, so...what do I know?).

What iím beginning think is that it will fail as the Center of economic power shifts to China, Russia, Europe and maybe India. Iím not sure that would necessarily be a good thing and it, the US, may lash out and start a major war in some crazy last attempt to demonstrate its power, which would probably send it broke, kind of like Rome a bit, France early 1800s, czarist Russia etc etc etc etc etc

I just canít see how it can fix itself! Itís very depressing because their music is great, among other things. Or maybe iím In a pessimistic funk right now, I should find a beer somewhere.
Old 7th October 2017, 07:47 PM
AFA Member

They have some fantastic music (mostly blues related imho) but lets not genealise too much. They invented elevator muaic after all.
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 7th October 2017, 08:30 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
What iím beginning think is that it will fail as the Center of economic power shifts to China, Russia, Europe and maybe India. Iím not sure that would necessarily be a good thing and it, the US, may lash out and start a major war in some crazy last attempt to demonstrate its power, which would probably send it broke, kind of like Rome a bit, France early 1800s, czarist Russia etc etc etc etc etc

I just canít see how it can fix itself! Itís very depressing because their music is great, among other things. Or maybe iím In a pessimistic funk right now, I should find a beer somewhere.

Trump is one of these folk who's understanding of power is the ability to bash the shit out of other people, a bully in other words! He thinks the US being powerful requires them to go around telling people what to do and having wars if they refuse because that's what power is, the ability to make other people do what you tell them.

There are indeed many great things about the US, the current ideological and political climate isn't one of them. Power in the US used to be about influence, this is why the baseball cap is the worlds leading form of headwear. The reason why the US isn't great is because it has become a bully, I am not sure exactly when it started, but Trump seems to be the culmination, he may be the one to lead the US into it's first nuclear conflict, and you know he actually seems pleased at the thought!

The US could be powerful by leading the world in science, they've lost that, oh they still have many great scientists, but for a great many American's science is now the great evil. They could have been leading in space exploration, now they need Russia to get to the ISS. They could have had moon bases and asteroid mining and been an economic powerhouse bar none, but conservative politicians seem to be stuck somewhere between coal and steam power. The only dim light seems to be the rise of people like Elon Musk, maybe there's hope still!

Not that Australia is that much better politically and ideologically, but I think we have a better chance of turning things around. The world is looking pretty shit right now, but it has in the past at times, here's hoping some sense prevails in the end and Trump gets well and truly booted out.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare thanked this post
Old 7th October 2017, 08:35 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post

Trump is one of these folk who's understanding of power is the ability to bash the shit out of other people, a bully in other words! He thinks the US being powerful requires them to go around telling people what to do and having wars if they refuse because that's what power is, the ability to make other people do what you tell them.

There are indeed many great things about the US, the current ideological and political climate isn't one of them. Power in the US used to be about influence, this is why the baseball cap is the worlds leading form of headwear. The reason why the US isn't great is because it has become a bully, I am not sure exactly when it started, but Trump seems to be the culmination, he may be the one to lead the US into it's first nuclear conflict, and you know he actually seems pleased at the thought!

The US could be powerful by leading the world in science, they've lost that, oh they still have many great scientists, but for a great many American's science is now the great evil. They could have been leading in space exploration, now they need Russia to get to the ISS. They could have had moon bases and asteroid mining and been an economic powerhouse bar none, but conservative politicians seem to be stuck somewhere between coal and steam power. The only dim light seems to be the rise of people like Elon Musk, maybe there's hope still!

Not that Australia is that much better politically and ideologically, but I think we have a better chance of turning things around. The world is looking pretty shit right now, but it has in the past at times, here's hoping some sense prevails in the end and Trump gets well and truly booted out.

I hope he goes too. Heís a fuckfrog. But that will make little to no difference to their gun situation, I fear. He is the product of the culture, not the other way around.

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 7th October 2017, 09:27 PM
AFA Member

Aren’t we all, to some degree? Trump has to last til the end of his term, the alternatives are worse, alas, and imo.
Old 7th October 2017, 10:01 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Arenít we all, to some degree? Trump has to last til the end of his term, the alternatives are worse, alas, and imo.

Yes, we all are.
And you may well be right about the alternatives.
It makes for depressing stuff

Old 8th October 2017, 02:52 AM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

Most of what I have to say on this is here. No energy for more.

New blog post: Cold, Dead Hands

Gun control, rights and dead children

http://www.hackenslash.co.uk/2017/10...ead-hands.html

Like The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post