Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 17th September 2017, 01:09 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Thanks Steve, it was my conclusion too. 'Return to sender,' was the right option.
Actually, since return to sender may be intercepted by a No voter with less scruples I would say the appropriate action is to destroy it after all possibility that the correct person will use it is past.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 17th September 2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
In response to questions about Australia Post delivery methods, a spokeswoman said the local branch was confident all surveys had originally been delivered securely.
The evidence shows that her confidence is misplaced.

Quote:
She said delivery drivers had received strict instructions to only deliver the surveys to their intended recipients.
May be true.

Quote:
"Our posties are delivering all survey items securely and as addressed, as they do with all mail items," she said in a statement.
Which is shown to be not true by the evidence.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Last edited by DanDare; 17th September 2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 17th September 2017, 01:19 PM

The No case are dredging up all sorts of stuff and blaming it on SSM. They point to countries that have adopted SSM and say "see it happened there!"

Here's the thing, what they point to is not bad stuff. Its good stuff. Sex education, understanding of gender as a construct, children being protected from bullies, SSM couples (and unmaried gay couples) having children etc.

However none of these things are caused by SSM. They are all, including SSM, caused by a healthy, rational, secular and civil society.

By linking these things to SSM they are trying to make us deny the things, as if they were bad. They are not bad, they just aren't caused by SSM.

Like two dogs liked this post
Old 17th September 2017, 01:29 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Oh for the good old days. When everything was better. When there was no crime, murder didn't happen and rape was just a rumour. Everyone was healthy and cancer and disease hadn't been invented yet. Everything was wonderful, children playing and birds singing everywhere and rainbows and shit and it only ever rained at night. A wonderful god fearing perfect society. Then them godless commies and hippies came and ruined it.

Bastards.

Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, bruce1937, DanDare laughed at this post
Old 17th September 2017, 01:47 PM
Anus Emeritus

Quote:
Loki said View Post
Oh for the good old days. When everything was better. When there was no crime, murder didn't happen and rape was just a rumour. Everyone was healthy and cancer and disease hadn't been invented yet. Everything was wonderful, children playing and birds singing everywhere and rainbows and shit and it only ever rained at night. A wonderful god fearing perfect society. Then them godless commies and hippies came and ruined it.

Bastards.
Is them the days before John Eyebrows Howard bent the Marriage Act over the table in Parliament, and gave it a vicious reaming, without lube or plebiscite, shoving the phrase "between a man and a woman" so far in, people thought it had always been there?

'Tweren't all that long ago, flokses.

Back at work on the Seekrit Project.

Like two dogs, DanDare liked this post
Old 17th September 2017, 05:59 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

I am changing my vote. I don't want to be on the wrong side of legal and moral history. it is written in the skies. repent, my friends.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-1...unched/8954368

Same-sex marriage No campaign launches; 'Vote No' sprawled in Sydney skies
Old 17th September 2017, 06:01 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
Loki said View Post

Bastards.
Hate was just a legend
War was never known
People worked together
And they lifted many stones
And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today
And I know she's living there
She loves me to this day
I still can't remember where
Or how I lost my way
He came dancing across the water
Cortez, Cortez
What a killer
-Neil Young
Old 17th September 2017, 06:09 PM
Anus Emeritus

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
I am changing my vote. I don't want to be on the wrong side of legal and moral history. it is written in the skies. repent, my friends.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-1...unched/8954368

Same-sex marriage No campaign launches; 'Vote No' sprawled in Sydney skies
It's gone now: everyone can vote YES.

Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 17th September 2017, 07:40 PM
Anus Emeritus

Like knowledge is power, Mjt, DanDare liked this post
Old 17th September 2017, 10:14 PM
AFA Member

I fear we need to prepare for a no victory. It is important to remember that marriage equality is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow morning. A no victory merely delays dawn by a few years. I invoke, emulate, mimick Christopher Hitchens and that wintery smile that sometimes crept across his face when he new for certain he had the complete measure of whoever he was debating. The no cause is doomed. The survey is completely irrelevant. They are chickens, chickens little actually, running around with no heads predicting the sky's falling.