Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 11th August 2017, 06:31 PM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Default Re: Tony Abbott

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Strato liked this post
Laugh at knowledge is power laughed at this post
Old 11th August 2017, 07:15 PM
What Me Deluded?

This Katherine Murphy piece is on what Tony really yearns for, status elevation.

The Guardian

Marriage equality

Is Abbott about to wreck marriage equality? You bet you are. You bet I am

'In his quest for the thing that constantly eludes him – status elevation – the prime minister in exile has Turnbull dancing to his tune, like a limp puppet on a string.'

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ms-credibility
Old 11th August 2017, 07:25 PM
AFA Member

A good outcome would be for Abbott to role Turnbull a month or two from the election and then gets absolutely fucking destroyed at the poll. Conservatives lose their seats, Abbott quits politics and centerist liberals take total control of the party. That's my hope anyway. Not completely improbable?
Like wolty, Strato, Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 12th August 2017, 12:49 AM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
A good outcome would be for Abbott to role Turnbull a month or two from the election and then gets absolutely fucking destroyed at the poll. Conservatives lose their seats, Abbott quits politics and centerist liberals take total control of the party. That's my hope anyway. Not completely improbable?
Then we can complete the comparison with Rudd too.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, wolty liked this post
Old 30th August 2017, 10:58 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

"Tony Abbott You C*nt" Ruled Not Offensive Under Australian Law

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/...t-of-this-sign

Quote:
A New South Wales Court has said a 75-year-old man's protest sign referring to the then prime minister Tony Abbott as a "c∀nt" is not in breach of the state's Summary Offences Act (SOA).
Old 30th August 2017, 11:01 AM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
"Tony Abbott You C*nt" Ruled Not Offensive Under Australian Law

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/...t-of-this-sign

Quote:
A New South Wales Court has said a 75-year-old man's protest sign referring to the then prime minister Tony Abbott as a "c∀nt" is not in breach of the state's Summary Offences Act (SOA).
Now we can legally be Goldenmane!

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Like Mjt, wolty, loubert liked this post
Laugh at Blue Lightning, yowie laughed at this post
Old 30th August 2017, 03:22 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

The Register's Richard Chirgwin on the Abbott sign shows the legal niceties involved.

Quote:
Judge Scotting agreed.

“Politicians and their views are often subject to criticism in public,” his decision reads. “This is an essential and accepted part of any democracy. That criticism can often extend to personal denigration or perhaps even ridicule, but still maintain its essential character as political comment. There is no reason to conclude that the Prime Minister, as the leader of the Federal Government, should be treated any differently to any other person who holds or seeks political office”.

The decision continues: “The front of the sandwich board, at the height of the prosecution case, conveyed no more than a reference to the Prime Minister in derogatory terms.”

While perfectly satisfied that Lim's sandwich board was “inappropriate and in poor taste”, that's not enough to make it offensive to a criminal degree: “I am not satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that it was offensive”.

As to the application of the Summary Offences Act to the case, the judge is clear: “The word 'using' in Section 4(2) means speaking or uttering offensive language and the appellant has not made out this contention” (emphasis added).
Caselaw linky for learned pals

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 28th September 2017, 04:00 PM
AFA Member

I see Kim Jong Abbott is in fine form today;

Quote:
Tony Abbott says defence powers should be used to force states to approve mining projects

TONY Abbott has suggested Canberra should use the Army as a means to control Australia’s resources, and force states to increase gas exploration and supply.
Is he is actually suggesting the commonwealth army invade states that don't approve mining projects he approves of?

Well yes he is doing exactly that!

Quote:
TONY Abbott has been ordered by senior colleagues to cool it after he seemed to suggest the Army could invade the states which don’t expand natural gas production.
The federal government screwed up Australia power situation, and the now Abbott wants the federal government to fix it by invading the states? Lol, I think that was a shark I saw him jumping just then!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...765dc8fc1a9efe
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 28th September 2017, 05:54 PM
AFA Member

I wouldn't tell him to cool it, if I was Turnbull I'd quietly tell Tony to let go of his reserve and speak his mind, express his inner most thoughts, have at it, Tony mate. Let's see what really motivates you, let's hear what you are too careful to say in public, let yourself go.
Old 28th September 2017, 11:19 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Umm, that's beyond insane and, subject to BL or other lawyer types providing better guidance, surely violates the referral of powers to the commonwealth in the constitution?
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post