Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 6th September 2017, 04:00 PM
AFA Member

Default Aldi stocks children's book by popular author, gets attacked by anti-ssm brigade.

So Aldi stocked a children's book by a famous author.But it seems rather than just not buy the book Aldi deserves to be attacked;

Quote:
“Aldi — we are so very disappointed in your decision to stock a book within your store — relating to transgenderism in children,” the woman, a retired nurse and grandmother who news.com.au has declined to name, wrote.

“Apparently it’s available on Wednesday Sept 6th. We would ask that you reconsider your choice to sell it! Family and children must be protected in times where there are those whose agenda is to groom and sexualise them! We ask you to have a conscience in this matter!”
It seems not only is the customer not able to let others who disagree with her access to the book, she conflates transgender people with pedophiles, because that appears to be what SSM is all about.

And some have swallowed the anti-PC message from Abbot wholesale.

Quote:
However, another shopper wrote: “I agree with that woman ... ‘Your role is not to propagate sexually confusing material to minors.’”

And a man chimed in that Aldi risked being seen as “taking the same stance as Woolworths in taking sides re the SSM debate, alienating a huge percentage of your customer base”.

“I hope I can still choose to give the bulk of my grocery shopping dollars to Aldi and you will think about all your customers and not just a minor segment for the sake of PC,” he wrote.
Also he seems to be claiming that Aldi shouldn't stock stuff that appeals to minorities, so that would be all religions then, oh no I think he just means minorities that finds a bit iccky.

And as far as taking the same stance a Woolworths, good on them.

Aldi has told them all to get fucked, effectively at least, they used kinder words than I would have.

Quote:
An Aldi spokeswoman said in a statement that it had “no intention of removing The Boy in the Dress from sale”.

“The book tells the story of freedom of expression and tolerance,” the spokeswoman said.

“This forms part of a range from David Walliams, the third biggest children’s book author in Australia, and is available throughout a number of major retailers.”

Other titles in Walliams’ award-winning children’s book series include Ratburger, Awful Auntie, Demon Dentist, Gangsta Granny, Grandpa’s Great Escape, Billionaire Boy and Mr Stink.
Actually reading some of the titles I might have to introduce them to my niece, they sound well worth reading!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...7b720fa0a8cca1
Old 6th September 2017, 04:18 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Default Re: Aldi stocks children's book by popular author, gets attacked by anti-ssm brigade.

Reading might do them some good, and why not start with children's books? It is, after all, where most children start.

Old 6th September 2017, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Aldi stocks children's book by popular author, gets attacked by anti-ssm brigade.

I'll bet that book is sold out by tomorrow.

My kids love David Walliams' books.
".....If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius (claimed)
Old 6th September 2017, 06:00 PM
AFA Member

I might just buy one myself as a show of support.
Old 6th September 2017, 06:49 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I read aloud to my son every night, and we've got through a couple of Walliams' books, including "The Boy in the Dress". While I was reading it, it never occurred to me for a second that there was something controversial or radical about it. I recall seeing one of Walliams' social media feeds, it was full of kids doing impersonations of his "Little Britain" characters. "I'm a lady" was hugely popular of course.

We used to mock these outraged wowsers, e.g. the Goodies episode where a Mary Whitehouse type charcter got them to make a sex education film without mentioning sex. Bloody hilarious. They should still be a joke, this mob. But then I have this nightmare about a Brexit/Trump phenomenon, and the "no" vote somehow wins, and I think it's a battle that needs to be fought. Anyway, what happened to Abbott's "if you care about free speech and political correctness"? Campaigning against Aldi is right wing political correctness gone mad, and a vicious attack on freedom of speech.

My favourite of Walliams' book is "Grandpa's Great Escape", it brought a tear to my eye.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 6th September 2017, 09:46 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
My favourite of Walliams' book is "Grandpa's Great Escape", it brought a tear to my eye.

You know I sometimes wonder whether these people actually talk to their own children, by these people I mean the ones who complain about the contents of children's books. And I guess when I say talk to them I probably actually mean listen to them. Children can be quite edgy in their selection of literature, it's why some writers become famous children's authors and other writers never get past the "safe" children's literature genre, kids simply don't want to read that stuff.

I do listen to children, some parents would benefit greatly by doing the same, many have no idea what their child is actually like, they imagine a miniature version of themselves I expect, I have news for them, children are individuals, treat them like little clones of yourselves and you have probably failed to understand them! I often watch Spongebob Squarepants with my niece, she'll call me in of there is a new episode on because she knows I like to watch it. I feel somewhat sorry for adults who have lost that connection with childhood.

Last edited by stevebrooks; 6th September 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Like stylofone liked this post
Thank stylofone thanked this post
Old 6th September 2017, 10:09 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

I've found a very useful response to questions about books and tv (or anything really) is "what do you think of it". The response can be quite nuanced when you don't prime them with a response. Still working on Spawn well into the teens.

Funnily enough reading Mein Kampf for some indefinable reason did not make me a Nazi. It did inform me though. Give kids some credit.

Old 6th September 2017, 10:19 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
You know I sometimes wonder whether these people actually talk to their own children, by these people I mean the ones who complain about the contents of children's books. And I guess when I say talk to them I probably actually mean listen to them. Children can be quite edgy in their selection of literature, it's why some writers become famous children's authors and other writers never get past the "safe" children's literature genre, kids simply don't want to read that stuff.

I do listen to children, some parents would benefit greatly by doing the same, many have no idea what their child is actually like, they imagine a miniature version of themselves I expect, I have news for them, children are individuals, treat them like little clones of yourselves and you have probably failed to understand them! I often watch Spongebob Squarepants with my niece, she'll call me in of there is a new episode on because she knows I like to watch it. I feel somewhat sorry for adults who have lost that connection with childhood.
Yes absolutely correct. And in the current debate, I've heard it said kids have no problem accepting a more relaxed attitude to sexuality and gender, a lot of them are wondering what all the fuss is about, but they'll be the ones suffering if the older generations fumble the marriage equality issue.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 4th October 2017, 01:45 PM

I really couldve uses a book like that as a child but because fucksticks like that it took 26 years for me to undsrstand my own nature.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 12th October 2017, 02:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Loki said View Post
I've found a very useful response to questions about books and tv (or anything really) is "what do you think of it". The response can be quite nuanced when you don't prime them with a response. Still working on Spawn well into the teens.

Funnily enough reading Mein Kampf for some indefinable reason did not make me a Nazi. It did inform me though. Give kids some credit.
I admire your determination. I was not able to complete M.K. I only managed a couple of chapters, although I have skimmed other parts to check quotes etc.