Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Biological Science

Biological Science Evolution, Genetics, Medicine, Human Biology, Psychology etc

Old 5th October 2017, 11:04 AM
AFA Member

Default Good news, electricity made from tears of dead sea turtles!

Of course it means almost the immediate extinction of all sea turtles but you gotta break some eggs to save the world!

Actually no, not sea turtles, any tears actually, a breakthrough in bio-piezoelectricity may revolutionise a lot of things, maybe even pay for the researchers to go back to uni to learn a few things. It was all sounding perfect and lovey dovey;

Quote:
SCIENTISTS in Ireland have discovered a method of producing electricity from tears.

Pressure is used to create energy from protein crystals found in the saliva, milk and tears of mammals as well as the egg whites of birds, reports The Sun .

It could revolutionise medical implants which release drugs into the body, researchers at the University of Limerick’s Bernal Institute said.
Professor Luuk van der Wielen said: “The impact of this discovery in the field of biological piezoelectricity will be huge and Bernal scientists are leading from the front the progress in this field.”
Well it sounded good anyway till one of the researchers said something monumentally stupid;

Quote:
Because it is a biological material it is non-toxic and could have innovative applications involving medical implants, lead researcher Aimee Stapleton said.
When I am stung by a stonefish I must remember it's perfectly safe and non-toxic because it's a biological material, that will be just before I commit suicide from the unbearable pain of the venom....sorry safe biological material!

Send her back to school, that's the same thing we hear from quacks all the time when they are selling their safe "natural" products to us.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...ee84391e8417a0
Old 12th October 2017, 02:32 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Good news, electricity made from tears of dead sea turtles!

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Of course it means almost the immediate extinction of all sea turtles but you gotta break some eggs to save the world!

Actually no, not sea turtles, any tears actually, a breakthrough in bio-piezoelectricity may revolutionise a lot of things, maybe even pay for the researchers to go back to uni to learn a few things. It was all sounding perfect and lovey dovey;

Well it sounded good anyway till one of the researchers said something monumentally stupid;

When I am stung by a stonefish I must remember it's perfectly safe and non-toxic because it's a biological material, that will be just before I commit suicide from the unbearable pain of the venom....sorry safe biological material!

Send her back to school, that's the same thing we hear from quacks all the time when they are selling their safe "natural" products to us.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...ee84391e8417a0
As GM knows, I always insist he use organic and gluten-free chemicals when he does his magic on my often green swimming pool!