Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Mental health and Well-being

Mental health and Well-being For discussion of the Black Dog and associated topics (please note this will be moderated as needed for everyone's safety).

Old 28th May 2017, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Getting my life back together.

To update things pretty much as before at work but my eating is somewhat out of control. It's nothing really deep rooted, it's just become a habitual coping mechanism for stress.
Old 8th October 2017, 08:54 PM

Have been reading through your fabulous story C-numbers. Well done for turning your life around. I have a teaching/ anxiety question: I'm a mature aged prac student and have had crippling anxiety relating to classroom management.
What did you do to establish the upper hand with a new class? How are things going now? How have you managed your anxiety in class, when they know how to push your buttons?
Old 16th November 2017, 06:00 AM

Sorry for the lack of reply. Basically you need to disconnect emotionally from what you are doing and ultimately not give a shit. Place no emotional value on what the kids are doing, and never, ever take it personally. They are rebelling against you as a teacher, not you as a human being. Don’t get mad, give detentions, write referrals and call parents. Follow the schools discipline policy in an impartial manner, you’ll be fine.

In saying that, I would strongly suggest you get help for crippling anxiety (as you put it) and have it resolved before you graduate, else things will probably turn to shit (speaking from experience).

So 6 months on, to update -

- passed probation and job is ongoing, getting on well with ‘worldly’ management
- I am dissatisfied with job due to Brethren community values and student behaviours but it pays well, they are giving me engineering studies to teach next year and the class sizes are small. Also I’m tired of job hopping, trying to stay here for a while with some stability.

- mental health and addiction wise I’m following 12 step recovery as nothing else has really worked. No Overeater anonymous groups out this way but I can identify as an alcoholic so I do AA meetings and NA meetings, local groups accept me sharing about eating disorder as well. Been 21 days without a food binge, 38 days without a drink or a gamble.

In saying that in my choice of higher power....back when I was doing 12 step before (2004-2007) I had an interest in Buddhism. I have since turned back to that, as the basic core daily secular conduct teachings I can follow and put into practice. Technically I’m still atheist as there is no defined ‘god’ in Buddhism, but to an extent I now identify as a Buddhist, albeit in a mostly secular sense.
Old 16th November 2017, 08:46 PM
Cuss-tard

Be well, mate. In my thoughts.

@Goldenmane3

Like wolty liked this post