Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 30th August 2017, 08:42 AM
AFA Member

Default GAC2018 Accommodation

Bumping this in case anyone wants to make any suggestions - here's some of mine, please add your own tips:

- ParkRoyale at Melbourne Airport do this amazing thing where if you arrive at a STUPID hour of the morning and just.need.somewhere.to.crash.safely... you can check in for short stay use between 7:00am until 7:00pm daily. Might be a bit pricey at around 5 hours for $105 for some, but when I just needed to have a shower, repack and sleep the jetlag out before trotting around the city to get my bearings, it was really useful if you don't have a lounge pass at an airport.
The only other places I know of that have this facility are Singapore Airport and Heathrow (where if you poke about, you can find YotelAir and it's like one of those Japanese mini-cube accommodations), so I freaking hope more places consider doing this kind of offer. Plus, it's at the airport, so it's also useful for getting out of Melbourne too.

- other personal fave - Rydges Melbourne because of the heated pool on the roof. I think they've FINALLY figured out that it's an amazing resource and upgraded it, but it's also very nice for sorting out the jet lag and floating around with skyscrapers nearby. Also not too far from two independent bookstores (ahem, head north and then west a little bit and you're at Embiggen books, just behind OfficeWorks), and I saved money by eating at Nandos nearby.

- Alto Hotel on Bourke. Has additional mega-suite rooms, so grab a bunch of people and all stay together. Walking distance to venue. Surprisingly quiet despite all the trams on the intersection nearby.

- Melbourne Athenaeum Library. Not a public library, don't go in there and expect them to let you hang around to charge your phone. BUT if you go up one flight of stairs in that building, there's some quiet public toilets that I've used to freshen up, and because no one knows that they're there, you can even repack luggage in peace. I hate luggage.

- I also personally recommend any of the following: Alston Apartments Hotel, The Best Western Plus Travel Inn Hotel and Carlton Lygon Lodge. All in Carlton, just trot over to the Melbourne Uni tramline and it zips you straight down to the city and towards the venue. Best Western has a pool; all of them are within reach of groceries if you're self-catering (in Lygon Court, just head past the Nova theatre and it's downstairs) and a big line of cafes and shops all the way along the strip.

Also, if you're like me and save on luggage hauling by posting your laundry home (I hate luggage...), there's the Australia Post LPO right next to Alston Apartments Hotel.

- I've also heard good things about / some general notes:
Tramstop 14 Backpackers and Nomads Melbourne. Note, trams nearby. But easy to get to transport, clearly! Both backpacker places, so you're going to have to be sociable if you're there.
Home At The Mansion - tucked behind Parliament Station so there's trains and trams.
Hotel Grand Chancellor - incredibly nice to me when I was lost, so I'd give them my business in the future.
Quest on Williams. Nice little apartments.
Ibis Styles. Very inner city but cheap when I stayed there.
Oaks on Collins, Oaks on Market, both great.
City Square Motel - I only stayed one day in 2012 and quickly checked out rather than stay 3 days, as it was just not comfortable for me and they had construction outside at the time, but you might need a cheap place.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 30th August 2017, 08:59 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: GAC2012 Accommodation Thread

Oh, and I stayed at The Blackman, just because I really wanted to visit St Kilda for the first time, and it's quiet but posh. Probably too far for the GAC-enthusiast, but I should give them a shout-out.
Hilarious little tchotchkes all over the shop in the Alice In Wonderland vein. I took home their fridge magnet.
NOTE: they're doing construction next door but I guess I got lucky even though my window looked straight down into the void of basement-building and they weren't busy that weekend. But, it's on the tram line and if you like quiet, posh and the ability to go further south and see Luna Park, it's a treat.
Old 30th August 2017, 02:07 PM
There will be cheese

Have Parkroyal booked for my last night as I have to check in at 6:30am latest and I'd rather be by the airport than not for such an early check-in time. The plan that morning is to toddle across the walkway, check in and toddle back* for some brekkie.

* Depending on the check-in queues.

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Like two dogs liked this post
Old 31st August 2017, 07:22 PM
AFA Member

We always stay at the YHA Melbourne metro

https://www.hotelscombined.com.au/Ho...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 1st September 2017, 12:00 PM
There will be cheese

Can this be split into a new thread: GAC2018 Accommodation Thread? I'm already booked but don't want people to miss Token's (and DB's) suggestions just because of the title.

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Like HiltonT liked this post
Old 7th October 2017, 09:37 AM
AFA Member

MODS, thread split please?
Like Mother of Chaos liked this post
Thank Voltairine thanked this post
Old 20th October 2017, 11:02 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: GAC2018 Accommodation

Bumping with update:

I noticed that there was a number of taxi ranks just outside and down the road a little from the venue. While out the front seems easiest (the former Hilton), a short walk south takes you to a very busy rank that save you hopping around out the front, looking for one that is free.

Also recommended, getting any Tram passes, the MyKi: reusable travel card.
There's booths to get a MyKi at Skybus booths outside Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 airport. Juat top them up before heading out.

Tweet @MELFlights on the day of travel for real-time flight information.
Old 20th October 2017, 11:13 AM
AFA Member

Some previously recommended hotels from 2012 have renamed / closed so after checking a few I noted that Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne seems to have a fairly decent price going if you can hike over to venue.
Old 20th October 2017, 11:55 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Haven't booked yet.

I had better do that, at some point.
Old 20th October 2017, 01:58 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
TokenSkeptic said View Post
Bumping with update:

I noticed that there was a number of taxi ranks just outside and down the road a little from the venue. While out the front seems easiest (the former Hilton), a short walk south takes you to a very busy rank that save you hopping around out the front, looking for one that is free.

Also recommended, getting any Tram passes, the MyKi: reusable travel card.
There's booths to get a MyKi at Skybus booths outside Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 airport. Juat top them up before heading out.

Tweet @MELFlights on the day of travel for real-time flight information.
Trams are evil devices. Nearly got cleaned up by one in the mall [damn things don't make no noise], and exiting one at Victoria markets is in the middle of de fooking road, wif cars wizzing past!

There is a Skynet shuttle right outside the Melb Metro Hostel, and I have already mentioned the terminators trams, which although deadly, are quite convenient.
Laugh at Blue Lightning laughed at this post