Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 29th September 2017, 12:08 PM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

Default Book written by reverend is fascistic, features humiliating retribution

New Yorker linky

Quote:
...[Y]ou should spend four minutes with “The Sad Story of Henry,” a segment from “Thomas & Friends” that aired on the second episode of the first season at PBS. (In the U.S., it was retitled “Come Out, Henry!”) It begins on a drizzly day in Sodor, the fictional island in the Irish Sea that serves as the show’s setting. Henry, the curmudgeonly train, is afraid to come out of his tunnel, because “the rain will ruin my lovely green paint and red stripes.” Then Sir Topham Hatt, the railway director, who is also known as the Fat Controller, arrives on the scene. (He looks like Monopoly’s Rich Uncle Pennybags but with eyes that have almost surely witnessed murder.) The Fat Controller orders the passengers to pull Henry out with a rope, but Henry won’t budge. They push him from the other direction, to no avail. (The Fat Controller declines to physically participate in this effort, citing “doctor’s orders.”) The passengers then tell Henry that it’s not raining; Henry, perhaps noticing that everyone still has their umbrellas out, refuses to move.

Realizing that the day’s workflow is irrevocably disrupted, Fat Controller decides that Henry must be punished—for life. “We shall take away your rails, and leave you here for always and always,” he tells Henry. As Henry’s face contorts into anguish and the background music toots a series of Oompa Loompa faux-glum flourishes, railway employees build a brick prison around Henry, leaving only half of his face visible. His train friends pass by: one snubs him, and another whistles hello. Henry has no steam left to whistle back. He spends his days alone, soot-streaked, wondering if he’ll ever be allowed to go back to work. The last line of the segment is the narrator saying, “I think he deserved his punishment, don’t you?” In the U.S. version, this voice-over is tweaked so that Henry’s fate seems temporary. But the original version is still on YouTube, and it’s comically bleak. As one commenter writes, “What moral lesson are kids supposed to learn from this? Do as you’re told or you will be entombed forever in the darkness to die?”
Quote:
It is clear from his work that Awdry disliked change, venerated order, and craved the administration of punishment. Henry wasn’t the only train to receive a death sentence. In one episode, a manager tells a showoff engine named Smudger that he’s going to “make him useful at last,” and then turns Smudger into a generator, never to move again. (There are several “R.I.P. Smudger” tribute videos on YouTube.) In another episode, a double-decker bus named Bulgy comes to the station and talks about revolution—“Free the roads from railway tyranny!” he cries. He is quickly labelled a “scarlet deceiver,” trapped under a bridge, and turned into a henhouse. A recurring storyline involves the “troublesome trucks,” which are disciplined into fearful obedience through public, symbolic punishments. Their leader, S. C. Ruffey, is pulled in two different directions until he breaks into pieces—“I guess the lesson is that if someone is bullying you, kill them?” a YouTube commenter writes—and, in another episode, a “spiteful” brake van is crushed into bits.
All this and so much more @source.

Release the Socratic Questions!

Old 30th September 2017, 12:03 PM
About goddamn time.

Default Re: Book written by reverend is fascistic, features humiliating retribution

Funny that, I never watched Thomas, but I caught this very episode when I was doing nothing at home one time. Really sad and disturbing for kids! A lot of old shows and books I have found to be less than moral. Noddy for example.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare liked this post
Old 15th October 2017, 08:50 AM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

Default Re: Book written by reverend is fascistic, features humiliating retribution

Looks like the TV show, at least, is growing up a little.

Never underestimate the power of the Merch!

Quote:
Mattel, the toy maker that owns the Thomas brand, will add two female main characters to the Thomas & Friends TV series next year.

Nia and Rebecca will appear in each episode and help fix the gender imbalance at the shed where Thomas and the other main characters live.

Three of the seven engines at Tidmouth Sheds will be female, up from just one.

The gender shake-up is just one of the many changes coming to the 30-year-old show — Thomas is set to visit real countries for the first time, the animation will move at a faster pace and there's a new theme song.

The characters will also crack more jokes and the narrator will be gone, replaced by the voice of Thomas.

It's all an effort to shake Thomas' stodgy image, compete with flashier preschool shows, and to fight a drop in toy sales.

Release the Socratic Questions!

Like knowledge is power liked this post
Old 15th October 2017, 11:08 AM
About goddamn time.

I think I can recall a couple of carriages that were female. So they could be pulled along behind but could not be engines!

From Wiki-
'Annie and Clarabel both have seating accommodation for carrying passengers; Clarabel also has a brake compartment for luggage and a guard. They have been described by the Rev. Awdry as being old and in need of new paint; however, Thomas loves them dearly and would never dream of being separated from them. The two coaches are nearly always seen coupled together, with Annie usually facing Thomas and Clarabel facing backwards.
In The Adventure Begins, when Thomas met Annie and Clarabel for the first time (before he got his branch line) he thought they were the express coaches. He apologised and introduced himself, leaving them both impressed. They were often pulled by James.
Not only do they carry passengers for Thomas, but they also act as advisors and confidantes. On several occasions they have warned him about potential hazards, and Thomas invariably runs into trouble when he ignores their warnings. Annie and Clarabel are occasionally pulled by other engines when Thomas is busy (usually by Percy, Toby, Duck, Neville, Stanley, and Emily), but Thomas always worries for their safety and can sometimes be jealous.'

Ok, that's not as bad as I thought. Still, improvements are always welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AnnieandClarabel.jpg (14.7 KB, 16 views)

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.