Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 23rd August 2016, 07:46 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Re: Pub trivia

Quote:
Loki said View Post
Lots of places were named as a result of the Baudin expedition but not so much by Baudin, who was kicked to the curb by his buddies.

I can't remember the details, ran across it due to an interest in Bauer, the illustrator for Brown, the botanist on the Flinders Expedition which ran into the French at Encounter Bay.
Notwithstanding that Bauer's/Brown's accounts may have had some British bias?

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
two dogs said View Post
... may have had some British bias?
Never! British are the height of equitability - all the natives around the world often said so when we pointed guns at them.
Like two dogs, wolty liked this post
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:13 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

OK, looked it up now, nothing to do with the Brits. Baudin carked it in the way home (on Mauritius as it happens, where Flinders was also delayed) and for some reason the expedition was not considered a success in France and he was sidelined from the writeup. It was his ex-buddies Peron and Freycinet what put names on most places the expedition had discovered.

From the sa gov page on the expedition

Quote:
Nicolas Baudin died on the return voyage to France so Francois Peron recorded a report of the French expedition to Terres Australes. Only Volume 1 was completed, as Peron died in 1810. It is almost certain that Peron was responsible for the naming of many South Australian features after French scientists, artists and members of the expedition, including himself.

Louis de Freycinet drew up the charts and maps of the expedition. Baudin had been discredited by both early deserters of the expedition and the returning travellers, and French authorities were embarrassed by the apparent failure of the voyage. Freycinet bestowed his own choice of place names to South Australian locations, disregarding names that Baudin had recorded earlier.
I know I'm being picky, I just couldn't work out how an expedition which produced so much could have been considered less than successful. Their collections alone were immense.

Btw Bauer is remembered as one of the greatest botanical and zoological illustrators ever not just because of the attention to detail and beauty of his work but because of the efforts (and system he developed) to record accurate colour data in the field and reproduce that in his work. His publication from the Flinders expedition took many years and was a flop when released. So it goes.

Old 23rd August 2016, 09:29 PM

Anyways, enough half-remembered pedantry. Hopefully 2D won't mind a new question.

What is the boiling point of water on top of Everest?

To the nearest degree C.

Old 23rd August 2016, 09:30 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
Loki said View Post
OK, looked it up now, nothing to do with the Brits. Baudin carked it in the way home (on Mauritius as it happens, where Flinders was also delayed) and for some reason the expedition was not considered a success in France and he was sidelined from the writeup. It was his ex-buddies Peron and Freycinet what put names on most places the expedition had discovered.

From the sa gov page on the expedition

Quote:
Nicolas Baudin died on the return voyage to France so Francois Peron recorded a report of the French expedition to Terres Australes. Only Volume 1 was completed, as Peron died in 1810. It is almost certain that Peron was responsible for the naming of many South Australian features after French scientists, artists and members of the expedition, including himself.

Louis de Freycinet drew up the charts and maps of the expedition. Baudin had been discredited by both early deserters of the expedition and the returning travellers, and French authorities were embarrassed by the apparent failure of the voyage. Freycinet bestowed his own choice of place names to South Australian locations, disregarding names that Baudin had recorded earlier.
I know I'm being picky, I just couldn't work out how an expedition which produced so much could have been considered less than successful. Their collections alone were immense.

Btw Bauer is remembered as one of the greatest botanical and zoological illustrators ever not just because of the attention to detail and beauty of his work but because of the efforts (and system he developed) to record accurate colour data in the field and reproduce that in his work. His publication from the Flinders expedition took many years and was a flop when released. So it goes.
Thanks Loki!

Being picky is good.

My question was in part prompted by the name of the street in which I live, and I'll now revise what little I know about Baudin.

I'll endeavour to look at some of Bauer's works.

It's your turn to post a question.

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:34 PM

Too late tehe

Like two dogs liked this post
Old 23rd August 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Loki said View Post
Anyways, enough half-remembered pedantry. Hopefully 2D won't mind a new question.

What is the boiling point of water on top of Everest?

To the nearest degree C.

I don't have an answer, but I have boiled water (filled with wee strawberries I picked) from a mountain top very near Everest (if not so high), so I have some idea!
Old 24th August 2016, 12:28 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

72degrees Celsius.
Old 24th August 2016, 03:45 PM

72 is close enough.

Old 24th August 2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Loki said View Post
72 is close enough.
Aye, I had to boil the stream water until it was nearly half evaporated to be sure to kill the bugger bacteria.