Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 14th July 2017, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Funny tweets

https://twitter.com/BeninCitizen/sta...36585662107648

The whole thread is worth it
Like Loki, workmx liked this post
Laugh at Beatrice laughed at this post
Old 14th July 2017, 09:27 AM
AFA Member

Or not.
Old 8th August 2017, 12:57 AM
Omu'sata

I feel I must post a transcript of a conversation I had with an apologist about gay marriage today, over on the WA Today site. Sadly, comments were closed before I could respond to the last post, below.

The first comment was this, from my “opponent”:

Quote:
Thats all well and fabulous, we recognise when they want to buy a house and enter into relationships, but the house of god does not recognise their marriages thats because marriage is between a man and woman, there is no adam and adam in the garden of eden, no creation can happen between 2 men, or 2 women without one of each sex. Why should they be allowed to marry and then divorce after they get sick of each other, cause all marriages and relationships eventually go south even the gay ones, eventually the ones that don't just residual grudges, resentment, agrrievances and bitterness against each other. But hey nice try and nice argument.
I somewhat cheekily asked this literary giant this:

Quote:
Please quote me the section in the Marriage Act where it says a couple have to be religious to get married.

If you can't then you have to admit that your religious-based argument opposing marriage equality is irrelevant.
This is what he replied with:

Quote:
Law predates parliaments which was firstly religious (church made laws) the catholic church is abhorrent to divorce, religious laws were way before the senate or a house of representatives or the house of commons when Kings did not allow lords to marry peasants, only the rich were married, peasants (poor) did not even get to vote or have a say they had no rights at all. Passing any laws that do not recognise or ignore 100s of years of precedent and history is not good law and parliament cannot ignore it for those people who wish to be in a recognised same sex marriage. There is no reason they cannot marry now its only a little piece of paper, and most married couples would have trouble finding theirs when it comes to divorce.
All so they can go out to a restaurant and tell people wow, we are married Mr and Mr Smith and Mrs and Mrs Gay.
I'm so glad that our legal system is well understood by apologists.
Old 8th August 2017, 09:41 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Stubby said View Post
I feel I must post a transcript of a conversation I had with an apologist about gay marriage today, over on the WA Today site. Sadly, comments were closed before I could respond to the last post, below.

The first comment was this, from my “opponent”:

Quote:
Thats all well and fabulous, we recognise when they want to buy a house and enter into relationships, but the house of god does not recognise their marriages thats because marriage is between a man and woman, there is no adam and adam in the garden of eden, no creation can happen between 2 men, or 2 women without one of each sex. Why should they be allowed to marry and then divorce after they get sick of each other, cause all marriages and relationships eventually go south even the gay ones, eventually the ones that don't just residual grudges, resentment, agrrievances and bitterness against each other. But hey nice try and nice argument.
I somewhat cheekily asked this literary giant this:

Quote:
Please quote me the section in the Marriage Act where it says a couple have to be religious to get married.

If you can't then you have to admit that your religious-based argument opposing marriage equality is irrelevant.
This is what he replied with:

Quote:
Law predates parliaments which was firstly religious (church made laws) the catholic church is abhorrent to divorce, religious laws were way before the senate or a house of representatives or the house of commons when Kings did not allow lords to marry peasants, only the rich were married, peasants (poor) did not even get to vote or have a say they had no rights at all. Passing any laws that do not recognise or ignore 100s of years of precedent and history is not good law and parliament cannot ignore it for those people who wish to be in a recognised same sex marriage. There is no reason they cannot marry now its only a little piece of paper, and most married couples would have trouble finding theirs when it comes to divorce.
All so they can go out to a restaurant and tell people wow, we are married Mr and Mr Smith and Mrs and Mrs Gay.
I'm so glad that our legal system is well understood by apologists.
His argument is counter productive to his own position. So should we revert back to the historical precedent of only allowing the rich to marry?